The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roobs
Hi everyone!
I dont know if anyone can shed any light on this (until I can get to speak to my elusive supervisor) but does anyone know the general protocol for what happens AFTER the dissertation is handed in? Are people generally expected to hang around for a weeks after or are we "free to go"? Only asking because my submission deadline is halfway through summer term with nothing scheduled after, AND I've been offered a dream job in Italy :biggrin: starting the week after subs. If anyone has any widsom to impart here I'll be forever grateful!:smile:

I have a viva about a month after the physical hand in of my diss - is it likely you might have something like that?
:woo:
Just been to see my supervisor to get feedback on my draft, and he was really positive :biggrin:. He said it was very interesting, that I express myself really well, that I'd made it into a proper historical problem, and that I'd been very inventive and thorough with my primary sources.

There were a few stylistic issues, but apart from that, he just said to carry on as I am. Feeling rather chuffed (especially since he's known for ripping people's work to pieces) :smile:
would really appreciate some help, im starting my dissertation in ealry childhood studies and have not got a clue !!

wandered if someone could advice me please, i wanted to do something along the lines of early intervention: specifically children with social and emotional needs, and maybe reducing the attainment gap on entry to school nursery or supporting their transition into nursery, but i do not no what im doing ?, would i research an existing transition group establish what works , what doesnt etc and what measures could i use
any help appreciated, thanks
Started my IS done my aims and objectives @
Front page and Acknowledgements @

Total word limit is 10000 (min) to 12000 (max)

Here is the plan:

Word limit min: 10.000
Introduction 3000
Methodology 1000
Results 2500
Discussion 3000

Abstract 250
Conclusion 200
Contents
Front Page
Acknowledgements 50

Thats the min limit but I got an additional 2000 words to add in if needed.
Reply 464
Hah... title of mine:

"Can the spread of malignant tumours be inhibited or promoted by proteins associated with glycosylphosphatidyinositol glycolipids?"

Try saying the name of the glycolipid ten times... :cry2:

Completed, bound and handed in... awaiting results...
Reply 465
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
I got some work experience (hopefully) with my supervisor doing DNA stuff I asked him last year and he said yes but not spoke to him since about it but id give me the 3months min for a job doing that which is required, and take part in a writing competition and I got a holiday booked in july with the bf and a couple of weddings one my cousins and my friends as well I'd like a career in research I may look at doing the NHS STP in genetics which is a science training program then doing a PhD a couple of years later

And you consider me your cheerleader as well :biggrin:

Oooh that's a pretty awesome opportunity! :biggrin: Good that you're relaxing over the summer as well though :yep: You've got a pretty good plan there as well! (Whereas I change my mind every 5 seconds :ninja:)
Original post by aeterno
Oooh that's a pretty awesome opportunity! :biggrin: Good that you're relaxing over the summer as well though :yep: You've got a pretty good plan there as well! (Whereas I change my mind every 5 seconds :ninja:)

Yep got the summer planned which will hopefully help me get a job come september :smile:

Got a huge day ahead tomorrow on doing introduction and hopefully some more results I got to get introduction finished this week and results should have my stats analysis sorted as well :smile:

Luckily I type faster then I write so wont take as long failing its not done aquetly tomorrow it'll be all day thursday although i got an appointment set up and i need to go to it.
Reply 467
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
Yep got the summer planned which will hopefully help me get a job come september :smile:

Got a huge day ahead tomorrow on doing introduction and hopefully some more results I got to get introduction finished this week and results should have my stats analysis sorted as well :smile:

Luckily I type faster then I write so wont take as long failing its not done aquetly tomorrow it'll be all day thursday although i got an appointment set up and i need to go to it.

Good luck with it all :yep:
Reply 468
Original post by Irrelevance

Spoiler

Reinforcing my previous comment :colonhash: I think you'll find it has sex with me :sexface:

Spoiler

Damn you :colonhash: Oh really? Tell me, does your version of a threesome involve both your hands? :holmes:
Reply 469
hi struggling with how to talk about my dissertation,

how do i talk about theories in the lit review relating them to a topic, if there is no previous research linking the two together?
Original post by jammyjam
hi struggling with how to talk about my dissertation,

how do i talk about theories in the lit review relating them to a topic, if there is no previous research linking the two together?

If your doing that, then put work around your first theory and then with the second theory, then in a third paragraph explain that you are putting the two together and linking the two theories together, via the work which you are going to be undertaking.
Right so intersemester break and right now this is the state of the dissertation:

Targetted word count (by this point in time): 5100
Current word count: 1605

Hopefully i can get to at least 4000 by the end of the week? Anyone think it is actually manageable?
Original post by ellejaytee
Right so intersemester break and right now this is the state of the dissertation:

Targetted word count (by this point in time): 5100
Current word count: 1605

Hopefully i can get to at least 4000 by the end of the week? Anyone think it is actually manageable?

Depending on your other commitments, it should definitely be doable. I wrote my entire 10,000 word dissertation in around a week - I spent a while researching and thinking about my argument first, of course, but the actual writing process was quite swift. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
Depending on your other commitments, it should definitely be doable. I wrote my entire 10,000 word dissertation in around a week - I spent a while researching and thinking about my argument first, of course, but the actual writing process was quite swift. :smile:

Thanks for that, I'm quite amazed you could do it in a week though. I have done most of my research and reading, but I haven't looked at it before christmas and stopped halfway through my lit review (which is not a move I would recommend)

In a very short period of time editing I have got my word count up already by 60 words. but I have just come across a superscript b in one of my equations and at no point do I choose to explain what it is other than to say it is a constant that does not very with time. looked through my synopsis that I submitted before christmas and the superscript does not feature in it anywhere either. I'm going to have to do some investigating before I can do much else now...
Original post by ellejaytee
Thanks for that, I'm quite amazed you could do it in a week though. I have done most of my research and reading, but I haven't looked at it before christmas and stopped halfway through my lit review (which is not a move I would recommend)

In a very short period of time editing I have got my word count up already by 60 words. but I have just come across a superscript b in one of my equations and at no point do I choose to explain what it is other than to say it is a constant that does not very with time. looked through my synopsis that I submitted before christmas and the superscript does not feature in it anywhere either. I'm going to have to do some investigating before I can do much else now...

I worked during my final year and had quite a few other commitments, so I didn't really have the time to spend on it. If that makes sense. So I gathered all my research, decided how I was going to structure it and then wrote each chapter in turn. I spent around 1 day per chapter and then read through the entire thing twice, editing it each time, before handing it in. From 0 to 10,000 submitted, it was around 2 weeks. :smile:

I know some people prefer doing things stage by stage though, perhaps writing a little each week, but I found it easier to just write. I made sure I was ready to and then went for it lol.

Also, I would warn against over editing things. A friend of mine spent nearly 10 weeks editing her dissertation! She must have been so sick of it. I think you run the risk of taking the best bits out, as you are too close to the work. You need to be able to take a step back and then to be sensible with your editing. :smile:
I can understand the whole not having the time to do work on the dissertation, but I don't have a job or anything going on with it either, it just took me so long to get back into studying after a placement year. This semester will be different. completely. I'm even doing work in my week off. or at least I will be once i start again having spent the last hour cleaning my room.

Original post by affinity89

Also, I would warn against over editing things. A friend of mine spent nearly 10 weeks editing her dissertation! She must have been so sick of it. I think you run the risk of taking the best bits out, as you are too close to the work. You need to be able to take a step back and then to be sensible with your editing. :smile:

I know this whole over editing thing. I've stopped now, it was just to remind me exactly what I had written, and it's a good thing i did. my word is failing me slightly, no longer doing proper word counts or spell checking. I started a sentence with the word "Fis", I just can't work out whether it's meant to be a "this" or a "his"...

Anyway actually to doing work... and locating that pesky superscript b
Reply 476
Is anyone currrently doing an English Literature dissertation? If so, what on and how are you structuring it? :smile:
I wrote my proper plan for my introduction last night. My plan is just under 700 words and I have 'budgeted' upto 1500 for the full introduction. So hopefully I will get that written this week!

I interviewed a Buddhist nun last Thursday and am meeting a monk tomorrow :smile: Exciting!
Original post by rache11a
Is anyone currrently doing an English Literature dissertation? If so, what on and how are you structuring it? :smile:

Me. English lit student here :biggrin:.

Mine is on the 'Otherness' of Welsh identity (through time) in Chretien de Troyes' The Story of the Grail or Perceval. That may mean nothing you though o_O. Medieval literature doesn't have the biggest student following. Anyway, mine is 6,000 words (excluding footnotes, thank god), and divided into three chapters, which probably won't all be the same length. One on Celticist scholarship, another on the Galfridian timeline and chronicle texts which transmitted Arthurian literature to France to put Chretien in context, and a third on twelfth-century historiography (Gerald of Wales mainly). Only have the middle chapter written so far o_O. Scholarship is hard to write about damn it!

What issues are you having on structure?
(edited 12 years ago)
definately had a nightmare about my dissertation last night. I don't think i could bear just getting 40% in it given all the work that has gone in so far and all that which is still to go in. Darn it first semester and the pesky results!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending