b+ on the module sooo happy right now

b's in viva and progress report b+ final report
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
Got my grades back

Congratulations :biggrin:
Congrats to all who have finished

Beware that it may be hard to get it out of your system.

I dreamt last night that I missed the deadline for handing in mine. I handed my disso in ON TIME almost 8 months ago:s-smilie:
Original post by angel_night

wheeeeeeeeeeee thank you :biggrin:
Original post by manupalace
Congrats to all who have finished

Beware that it may be hard to get it out of your system.

I dreamt last night that I missed the deadline for handing in mine. I handed my disso in ON TIME almost 8 months ago:s-smilie:

I had a nightmare the other night I was doing exams again! Only on a module I never did and it was awful :frown:
Reply 1385
Just got my dissertation grade back - managed to bag an A+... I was so happy I almost cried :biggrin:
Original post by Rags
Just got my dissertation grade back - managed to bag an A+... I was so happy I almost cried :biggrin:

I had a nightmare the other night I was doing exams again! Only on a module I never did and it was awful :frown:

Don't worry we aren't the only ones. A friend dreamt that she was in the exam again but this time all the answers came to her.

Congrats on your disso grade. :biggrin:
Reply 1388
Got my grades back

Congrats! :biggrin:

It won't let me rep you though :grumble:
Reply 1389
Original post by Rags

Holy crap on a cracker! Well done, you! :biggrin:
I'm jealous of everyone getting their grades back - I still have to wait a week and a half :grumble:

The wait is driving me crazy! :p:
Anyone can share a dissertation that got an A please?
Reply 1392
Original post by destination unknown
Anyone can share a dissertation that got an A please?

It doesn't quite work like that....

Anyone here will be willing to help you and advise as best we can but asking someone to send you their work is pushing it a bit.
Reply 1393
I agree with aeterno.. I really wouldn't feel right sending my work to a stranger. If you want to see an example dissertation it would be best to go to your uni and see if they let you access past dissertations. That would allow you to see one that is more relevent to your subject and university requirements than any of ours would be.
Original post by aeterno
It doesn't quite work like that....

Anyone here will be willing to help you and advise as best we can but asking someone to send you their work is pushing it a bit.

Original post by Rags
I agree with aeterno.. I really wouldn't feel right sending my work to a stranger. If you want to see an example dissertation it would be best to go to your uni and see if they let you access past dissertations. That would allow you to see one that is more relevent to your subject and university requirements than any of ours would be.

What I meant is that english is not my first language & I didn't write a dissertation for my undergrad back home, so I'm not familiar with the writing style required for such a piece of work.

The reason I ask here, is at least I can be sure that the dissertation achieved a top grade. Whereas in my department library (which is tiny), there are few past students dissertation, but no one can tell their marks. So I want to make sure that I read a dissertation which got an A, so when I write mine, I will improve and adapt my writing to an A grade standard.
Reply 1395
What I meant is that english is not my first language & I didn't write a dissertation for my undergrad back home, so I'm not familiar with the writing style required for such a piece of work.

The reason I ask here, is at least I can be sure that the dissertation achieved a top grade. Whereas in my department library (which is tiny), there are few past students dissertation, but no one can tell their marks. So I want to make sure that I read a dissertation which got an A, so when I write mine, I will improve and adapt my writing to an A grade standard.

Ok but many people will be in the same position as you. Your writing style should not be that different from the way you write your essays (which I presume you've done) and more specific questions can be put forward to your supervisor if you're interested in finding out what in particular he/she is after. Or ask them if they could direct towards a first class piece of work themselves. The majority of posters on this thread are undergraduates and have therefore written a dissertation for the first time - I understand that English is not your first language but I'd wager that you at least have a good enough knowledge of English to have been accepted into a UK university (and it seems that way from the level of English in your posts). Surely you can understand why no one will be particularly to send someone their work? I wouldn't have sent mine to a friend let alone a stranger.
Original post by aeterno
Ok but many people will be in the same position as you. Your writing style should not be that different from the way you write your essays (which I presume you've done) and more specific questions can be put forward to your supervisor if you're interested in finding out what in particular he/she is after. Or ask them if they could direct towards a first class piece of work themselves. The majority of posters on this thread are undergraduates and have therefore written a dissertation for the first time - I understand that English is not your first language but I'd wager that you at least have a good enough knowledge of English to have been accepted into a UK university (and it seems that way from the level of English in your posts). Surely you can understand why no one will be particularly to send someone their work? I wouldn't have sent mine to a friend let alone a stranger.

Thanks for your sharing :smile:

It's quite strange to see the difference: back home, students don't mind sharing their work even with strangers in the library, as long as it has been already submitted so no chances of cheating.

When I ask someone on TSR, it's just to get inspired by a native writer and improve my academic writing.

My supervisor is from Ghana & it's his first year in the UK, so he's a bit lost :biggrin:
I only met him once since I've been assigned to him in March.
I've been trying to arrange a meeting with him for the past month (either he ignores emails or if i'm on campus, I pop in his office but he's always busy). Finally he told me to come thursday morning at 11. Then he sent me an email at 10:48 on the same day saying he had to go see a doctor for his daughter. I was 2min away from his office lol

What i'm saying, is that I don't want to complain about my supervisor, some are good and other don't care much. It's luck. I don't want to make a fuss out of it because at the end he is going to mark me, so don't want to annoy him :smile:

Regarding my essays, I have to resit two modules due to failing essays :frown:
Apparently my essays lack of structure. The ides are good but it's hard to follow according to tutor feedbacks. The other one I've passed, are just minimum pass so nothing to be inspired by.

That's why I want to at least improve for my dissertation because it's 50% of my whole degree. And all my friends are either French or Spanish and are in the same boat as me :biggrin:

Anw sorry for the long post everyone!!

It's quite strange to see the difference: back home, students don't mind sharing their work even with strangers in the library, as long as it has been already submitted so no chances of cheating.

When I ask someone on TSR, it's just to get inspired by a native writer and improve my academic writing.

My supervisor is from Ghana & it's his first year in the UK, so he's a bit lost :biggrin:
I've been trying to arrange a meeting with him for the past month (either he ignores emails or if i'm on campus, I pop in his office but he's always busy). Finally he told me to come thursday morning at 11. Then he sent me an email at 10:48 on the same day saying he had to go see a doctor for his daughter. I was 2min away from his office lol

What i'm saying, is that I don't want to complain about my supervisor, some are good and other don't care much. It's luck. I don't want to make a fuss out of it because at the end he is going to mark me, so don't want to annoy him :smile:

Apparently my essays lack of structure. The ides are good but it's hard to follow according to tutor feedbacks. The other one I've passed, are just minimum pass so nothing to be inspired by.

That's why I want to at least improve for my dissertation because it's 50% of my whole degree. And all my friends are either French or Spanish and are in the same boat as me :biggrin:

Why don't you go to your university's Student Services department? They can help you with structure and possibly show you examples of students' work.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can ask your lecturers if they have copies of student's dissertations and if they know of any that got a good mark. Then you can go and pick out the right ones in the library. They'll probably be more useful to you.
Reply 1398

Fair enough - I realise it's different in different countries but, yes, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone willing to share in the UK! :tongue: Perhaps they're stricter here on plagiarism/collusion than other countries, I don't know, but it makes people more protective of their work (not that you'd necessarily be plagiarising here - it most likely won't even be on the same topic or anything anyway!)

If you want to get an idea of how you should be writing, then just keep reading academic articles/books etc. and mimic their style (up to a point - you still want your own voice to come through in your work). That's pretty much what I've been doing and it's worked fine for me :smile:

I take it you're a postgraduate student? You could always unofficially ask some other tutors a few questions about your topic - I'm sure at least one person will be willing to help you in whatever capacity they can! I understand your concern about not wanting to complain about your supervisor but then again this is your work and if you want to switch to make sure you get a good mark, don't be afraid to do that. Ok, it's his first year of teaching in the UK but that doesn't mean you should necessarily be so lenient with him - there's no excuse for how he seems to be handling this. You could just say you have personal differences and would like to switch - that way no one gets into trouble and he won't be marking your work (or he'll be secondary marker at most).

As for essays - of course, it's not simple when you need critical analysis and you have to be creative but just follow the tried and tested route - tell them what you're going to say (intro), tell them (main body), tell them what you've just said (conclusion). Make sure you always plan your essays (if you don't already) and be objective about it - does it make sense in that order? - if it doesn't change it around. Don't go back and forth between different points - one point, one paragraph, then move on to the next point. Make sure you can link between paragraphs - if you can't, it won't flow. For example, at the end of paragraph A, you could say '...and this brings us on to the next point'. It's simple but if there's a clear link between paragraphs A and B, it's all you need.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:
Got my mark back. 58%, comments about it were pretty bad, but I don't really care, 58% will do me. Unless I get below 40% on my last piece of work I'm waiting for (unlikely), then got a 2.2 overall which is fine with me, just be glad to not have to do uni anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest