The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Dress code for freshers and clubs

I've never been to a club before.
What should I wear? Are trainers, jeans and a shirt ok?
What works as ID to get in: a) clubs, b) 18 only freshers events??
Reply 1
Depends where you go, some places don't like trainers, but they're overpriced anyway :P jeans and shirt is fine, lots of people wear tshirts etc.

As for ID, it's generally best to use provisional/driving licence/passport, but if you don't have one alot of uni cities accept your student ID
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
I doubt they'll be too strict, just don't wear trainers though :wink:

And if you havn't got anything like a provisional, your passport will be a safe bet, seeing as that you probably wont have a student ID card for the first few days/events.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
You are best off wearing 'pumps'. you can pick them up cheap for £5 or you can get nicer ones for £16 in Topman (£14.40 with student discount).
Reply 4
never had any problems getting in a club by how i was dressed, even when i was in a pink tutu.
Reply 5
For Asylum as it's uni owned, there is no dresscode, wear what you like.

In town at other clubs, I've never encountered any problems with dress code. The only thing I can think you'd encounter any problems is if you go to bars in the town centre on Saturday or Friday nights. Most of the time it's locals in the town centre on these nights, most students just go to Asylum on the Saturday as it's cheaper and a lot closer. Basically, as long as you don't look a total scruff, you'll be fine, and like a previous person said, wear pumps instead of trainers to be on the safe side, and avoid sportswear (e.g. trackies, joggers, football shirts).

You'll need a provisional or normal driving license or passport for I.D.; for Asylum, bring your student card as they check that because only students are allowed in. You also need to take it, or an NUS card, to specific student nights to prove your a student, such as Piper on a Monday, as well as your other holographic form of I.D.
Just make sure you have a provisional/full driving licence and your student card at all times.
Asylum ask for you student ID because it is the Union club. I can't speak for other clubs as I have never been to them but there is a nightclub in Hull called Spiders, not many people know about it because they rely on word of mouth for advertisement, but if you have a student card you get cheaper entry, and the drinks are really cheap as well.
Dress code for most clubs in Hull I believe is smart casual, Spiders is slightly different due to it being an alternative/rock/metal club, though as long as you're not dressed like a complete and utter chav you will be fine :smile:
Original post by DawnIsNotCool
I can't speak for other clubs as I have never been to them but there is a nightclub in Hull called Spiders, not many people know about it because they rely on word of mouth for advertisement, but if you have a student card you get cheaper entry, and the drinks are really cheap as well.

Huzzah, someone else putting Spids on the map :wink: Must have unknowingly bumped into you a few times.

To the OP, do go and give it a try, upstairs on Saturday night is a bit more tame than downstairs earlier on. Grab yourself a Sweet Death, but learn from my mistake - wait for the first one to hit before you think 'This is grand, I'll have another'!

Same as everyone else has said really, wear what you like in Asylum, but if you find yourself in Sugar or Pozition you'd do well to have some smarter shoes on at least.
Original post by annitaeatsya
Huzzah, someone else putting Spids on the map :wink: Must have unknowingly bumped into you a few times.

You quite possibly have haha. I work there now so you'll see me behind a bar somewhere, the girl with purple hair :smile:
Original post by DawnIsNotCool
You quite possibly have haha. I work there now so you'll see me behind a bar somewhere, the girl with purple hair :smile:

Yeah, a few days after I posted this I was talking to my housemate who works there (Laura) and she mentioned Dawn. I was like 'Hmmm, I wonder...' XD
Reply 10

Quick Reply

Latest