The Student Room Group

what the hell kind of bug is this i keep finding in my house?

Scroll to see replies

Thats what happened to me, there was a beetle and i smacked it with my flip flop and it was alive a few seconds later done it again, still alive so i stepped on it twenty times and that did the trick, do that man.
those things will crawl up your nose when you go to sleep and lay eggs in your brain.
Original post by gobbler
Looks like an OCYPUS OLENS(rove beetle)

But pictures arn't clear enough...

This beetle looks like is has 3 body section (head,torso and tail)

the ocypus olens has 4 sections (head,upper torso,lower torso and tail)

Your decision or not whether it's that or not.

Your the only one who can see it close in person, unless you get HD pics.

Or could be a Staphilinidae

ROVE BEETLE FOR SURE
What sub species? I dont know.

Uuuhg, i googled that and i swear i felt something crawl up my foot lol :eek:
Reply 23
Southall for you.
Urrrrrrrrrrrghghgh :frown:

But if it helps, I reckon it's a rove beetle.
Reply 25
Original post by gobbler
Looks like an OCYPUS OLENS(rove beetle)

But pictures arn't clear enough...

This beetle looks like is has 3 body section (head,torso and tail)

the ocypus olens has 4 sections (head,upper torso,lower torso and tail)

Your decision or not whether it's that or not.

Your the only one who can see it close in person, unless you get HD pics.

Or could be a Staphilinidae

ROVE BEETLE FOR SURE
What sub species? I dont know.

you were so right it was a rove beetle, specifically this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocypus_olens
Reply 26
Original post by seasons of wither
i just love the fact that you felt the need to post 8 different photos of it :')

well they were all poor quality so i thought more pics will make it better visible
Reply 27
omg wtf is that
Reply 28
Original post by alwaysme
I keep getting them at my house too, their some kind of fly. My case was a little worse however, our carpet in the hallway wasn't laid properly so stuff can easily get under it and my brother is always spilling coffee (with 10 sugars) on the carpet. So when I got up one morning the the entire floor was teeming with them, thousands crawling out of the corners in the carpet.

Probably the most fun hoovering I've ever had tbf.

Seriously thousands? Because I'd actually lock myself in my room crying, that's awful :afraid:
It's a teradactyl, or it will be when it reaches the level of evolution (23 I think)
Original post by jus2sik
i swear ive never seen it before, but last week or a little earlier i saw a huge black bug crawling down the hall way so i promptly stepped on it and the damn thing didnt die it still kept crawling but slower ( i was wearing flip flops when i was doing this so soft) then i stepped on it with some boots it still cralwed and i stepped on it about 2 more times to get it completely dead, anyway i saw another 1 now, a lot smalller like 3 times smaller and it died with 2 steps, so i took a few pictures on my low resolution camera, im hoping som1 can tell me what it is

I think it might be a 'Devil's Coachhorse'. Ive seen a devil's coachhorse once before.

Google 'Devils coachhorse' to see what one looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKz2T0-BNQo
It is an: Ocypus olens aka the "Devil's coach Horse Beetle" (what an awesome name!!!!!)

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Ocypus_olens?qsrc=3044
Reply 32
Original post by bloomblaze
I think it might be a 'Devil's Coachhorse'. Ive seen a devil's coachhorse once before.

Google 'Devils coachhorse' to see what one looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKz2T0-BNQo

yeh thats it i added a wikipedia page and a couple of pictures of it but they didnt come up for some reason, anyway last post on first page suggested it and he was right so he gets 100 points
Reply 33
Original post by planetearth
It is an: Ocypus olens aka the "Devil's coach Horse Beetle" (what an awesome name!!!!!)

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Ocypus_olens?qsrc=3044

yah it is
Reply 34
how big was the large one?
the pictures are blurry but it looks a little like an earwig to me.
Reply 35
Original post by Lumos
how big was the large one?
the pictures are blurry but it looks a little like an earwig to me.

the large one was frigggging huuuuuuge, i mean im sure its a devils coach horse beetle but i mean it was slightly longer then my middle finger which i just checked is almost 5 inches and it was about 2 inches wide, i should have kept it because the one i killed today is tiny compared to the one i saw b4, or any i can find on google, i dont think it was an ear wig because i was looking closely at the body and wikipedia, also do earwigs die easily? or do you have to step on em over and over
Reply 36
Original post by jus2sik
the large one was frigggging huuuuuuge, i mean im sure its a devils coach horse beetle but i mean it was slightly longer then my middle finger which i just checked is almost 5 inches and it was about 2 inches wide, i should have kept it because the one i killed today is tiny compared to the one i saw b4, or any i can find on google, i dont think it was an ear wig because i was looking closely at the body and wikipedia, also do earwigs die easily? or do you have to step on em over and over

OH MY GOD O.O
yeah, that's not an earwig. I deffinitely would have killed it (and not gone near it with flip flops, are you crazy!?) I think it's the devil's horse coach beetle.
Reply 37
Original post by jus2sik
i swear ive never seen it before, but last week or a little earlier i saw a huge black bug crawling down the hall way so i promptly stepped on it and the damn thing didnt die it still kept crawling but slower ( i was wearing flip flops when i was doing this so soft) then i stepped on it with some boots it still cralwed and i stepped on it about 2 more times to get it completely dead, anyway i saw another 1 now, a lot smalller like 3 times smaller and it died with 2 steps, so i took a few pictures on my low resolution camera, im hoping som1 can tell me what it is

I've seen something similar to that in my house before, the pictures aren't too clear so it could be something different, we just had a few and then the problem stopped. If it's a really bad problem you might wanna get a bug-catcher or something in lol. Or it could be a seasonal thing, we get a few spiders in the house in summer but then they go. You should make sure they have no food or water supply though, make sure your kitchen's not dirty cause they might be living off it...eurghhhh i hate bugs
Reply 38
Original post by jus2sik

your finger is 5 inches?

wow..

anyway, get the flamethrower out
Original post by alwaysme
I keep getting them at my house too, their some kind of fly. My case was a little worse however, our carpet in the hallway wasn't laid properly so stuff can easily get under it and my brother is always spilling coffee (with 10 sugars) on the carpet. So when I got up one morning the the entire floor was teeming with them, thousands crawling out of the corners in the carpet.

Probably the most fun hoovering I've ever had tbf.

lol that is...filth bruv

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending