Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to choose between Warwick and Birmingham for Psychology- does any one know which has a better reputation for the subject. How should i choose?? I like them both!!!! HELP!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthbutton)
    I am trying to choose between Warwick and Birmingham for Psychology- does any one know which has a better reputation for the subject. How should i choose?? I like them both!!!! HELP!!!

Warwick, no question.

ReputationRep:
    According to the Times league table, for psychology Birmingham is 19th which is WAY WAY above Warwick at 50!! Normally i wouldnt give league tables much credibility but warwick being so incredibly far behind says something. if it was a matter of a few positions i would say it didnt matter, but warwick is even below former polys like Nottingham Trent, SHeffield Hallam and Brookes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    According to the Times league table, for psychology Birmingham is 19th which is WAY WAY above Warwick at 50!! Normally i wouldnt give league tables much credibility but warwick being so incredibly far behind says something. if it was a matter of a few positions i would say it didnt matter, but warwick is even below former polys like Nottingham Trent, SHeffield Hallam and Brookes.

Ahh this fantastic trend that reveals to me what people with colossal stupidity just blindly follow league tables. Do not do this yourself, take a look at the average A level grades obtained at each of your prospective unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Ahh this fantastic trend that reveals to me what people with colossal stupidity just blindly follow league tables. Do not do this yourself, take a look at the average A level grades obtained at each of your prospective unis.
    So what do A level grades abtained matter?! Just becasue a uni takes all students with AAA doesnt make it a better department. That to me is pure stupidity, it may have a really waek depatment, with poor resources, and poor teaching quality with little student support.

The average A level grades only forms a small part of what the overall rankings are based on.

ReputationRep:
    how do they calculate the league tables tho?? Surely a good university like Warwick wouldn't have that rubbish a psychology department?? The grades needed for each are the same... Do you think that in the future if i went to warwick employers might think it was rubbish- that seems silly to me...!!! I suppose though there must be something in the league tables- but why would waricks grades be ABB if they were a rubbish department??

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure what i want to do with my degree-maybe something with child psychology but im not sure. the courses seem fairly similar but there seems slightly more choice in later modules at birmingham- i suppose that its because there are more staff so therefore more that they can teach...

ReputationRep:
    I suppose though there must be something in the league tables- but why would waricks grades be ABB if they were a rubbish department??
    ABB is not really so different from BBB - one grade wont change alot. Perhaps they have high grades due to demand and popularity of the course. It makes it easier for admissions tutors to sift few students who will get higher grades as naturally there will be fewer. The universty is trying to make itself seem better by offering higher grades, thus supposedly attracting better students.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Birmingham on saturday for a People and Planet meeting for West Midlands uni's and loved it. Warwick is more of a traditional campus uni, it will probably have a lake and some ducks. The city has grown around the uni in Birmingham, but you're still a few minutes away from the centre, and you can get there by train. They're both top places, but a Warwick student told me that most students at Warwick are still angry about not getting into Oxbridge. Thats a bit of a shame if its true, but I would recommend going to both Uni's, having a wander around, and talking to departmental staff.

ReputationRep:
    do you think that a bigger department would be better??
    is the fact that overall as a university warwick has a better reputation than birmingham something to consider?

ReputationRep:
    nb. i have been to both- and like them both!! spoken to bham people and they all said what a good department it is and how much they are enjoying the course. Am going to warwick next wed to speak to people etc. have just become addicted to the bull ring though- so that is in bhams favour!!

ReputationRep:
    is the fact that overall as a university warwick has a better reputation than birmingham something to consider?
    Does Warwick have a better reputation? I don't think the size of the department effects the quality of it.

ReputationRep:
    yes but a better reputation in whose eyes? its only students now who are seeing warwick with a supposed better reputation, but many older people still see birmingham as more established and renowned, they still see warwick as technology orientated.

ReputationRep:
    nb. i have been to both- and like them both!! spoken to bham people and they all said what a good department it is and how much they are enjoying the course. Am going to warwick next wed to speak to people etc. have just become addicted to the bull ring though- so that is in bhams favour!!
    Exactly, and where would you rather go out for a few drinks; Birmingham, or Coventry?! Try not to make your mind up until you have visited Warwick though.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone

am thinking about living at home- do you think this is a bad idea?

ReputationRep:
    yeah- birmingham has a great night life and coventry- well put it this way i have not heard anything about the night life in coventry...!

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone

am thinking about living at home- do you think this is a bad idea?
    In general, yes.

ReputationRep:
    why?

ReputationRep:
    yeah- birmingham has a great night life and coventry- well put it this way i have not heard anything about the night life in coventry...!
    Birmingham = great nightlife & shopping- mailbox, bullring, broad street etc

Coventry & leamington = Yuk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Exactly, and where would you rather go out for a few drinks; Birmingham, or Coventry?!
    haha. do i have to answer that?!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.