The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VacS
A friend got invited to do their online tests, but nothing since. You?

I'm at the same stage unfortunately. All quiet this morning.
Reply 1421
Application placed on hold at Sullivan & Cromwell
Original post by Numinator
Applied for both the VS and the TC and got the same email that you had. They offered me an interview on 17th July and I've got it at the start of next week.

I'm sure that no news is probably good news.

Thanks for the info.

I've still not heard anything. When did you submit your application? If I remember correctly, I applied approximately 1 week before the 30th June deadline. :smile:
Still quiet...
Reply 1424
Original post by Rosey2
Application placed on hold at Sullivan & Cromwell

Is this the second 'on hold' email you have received from Sull&Crom? When did you apply?

I applied back in late-June, and received a 'we are interested in your app and will place it on hold' email shortly after, but have heard nothing since.
Allen & Overy PFO at 9AM lol.
Reply 1426
Original post by suffocation1992

9am!!! These folks are up and at it early!
Original post by Tom_Hagen
Thanks for the info.

I've still not heard anything. When did you submit your application? If I remember correctly, I applied approximately 1 week before the 30th June deadline. :smile:

Applied on the 30th June if I remember correctly.

Original post by fxa
where else have you applied? and where did you do your vac schemes.

well done on your interviews

Did my vacation schemes at Addleshaws and Pinsents.

Apart from those two firms I've applied to DLA, DWF, Cobbetts, Pannone, Hill Dickinson, Brabners, Gateley, Shoosmiths and Weightmans.

Some of them weren't the greatest applications I've ever done so I wouldn't be surprised if they get rejected. Might have to hope my grades and experience get me an interview.
(edited 11 years ago)

I'd love to see the statistics for A&O's intake in regards to university.
Original post by Smashedin

It's quite diverse, no?
Reply 1430

I was told (by someone who attended an A&O assessment day last year) that it was overwhelmingly Oxbridge, at least on the day she was interviewing.
It's quite diverse, no?

From what I hear, no.
Reply 1432
Are open days worth including on your CV and application forms?
Reply 1433
Original post by Paine1
Are open days worth including on your CV and application forms?

DEFINITELY!

Instead of listing each Open Day individually, I put them all in one of the Work Exp boxes, and listed all firm names as one, (e.g. Employer: "DLA Piper,Reed Smith/ X Firm"). Then for "Dates", I just put the date on the first Open Day, and mentioned 'various dates' in the body of the text.
Reply 1434
Original post by Med2Ky
DEFINITELY!

Instead of listing each Open Day individually, I put them all in one of the Work Exp boxes, and listed all firm names as one, (e.g. Employer: "DLA Piper,Reed Smith/ X Firm"). Then for "Dates", I just put the date on the first Open Day, and mentioned 'various dates' in the body of the text.

In which case I am a fool. :redface:
Original post by Paine1
In which case I am a fool. :redface:

It won't make or break your app.
Reply 1436
It won't make or break your app.

For my personal situation, I think it may have made quite a bit of a difference. I was heavy on the Bar side of things and had no work experience at a firm of solicitors on my applications. It may have tipped the balance just enough to show that I had seriously considered becoming a solicitor. :smile:
Reply 1437
Original post by Paine1
For my personal situation, I think it may have made quite a bit of a difference. I was heavy on the Bar side of things and had no work experience at a firm of solicitors on my applications. It may have tipped the balance just enough to show that I had seriously considered becoming a solicitor. :smile:

All is not lost- you are still getting interview invites at great firms!

What you can do instead (seeing as you haven't listed Open Days on you app), is that when asked "Why law"/"How do you know you want to be a commercial lawyer?".

You can mention your Open Day experiences, and explain how this: a). gave you insight into commercial law/what trainees do, and b). Helped confirm that this is the career you want (Cf. the Bar).
Reply 1438
Does anyone know what the pass rate is for the Watson Glaser test? Thanks x
Reply 1439

Unlucky man.

Thanks for your reply to my Sept. 1 question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending