The Student Room Group

The Official "Oxford or Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Firstly, Oxbridge won't accept 'i didn't work at all in the 2 years' lol so there's no need for that.

Secondly, do your AS levels first, there's no point predicting grades for yourself, you're still a year away from applying. So work hard now and ask the question in a year.
Oxford is more inclined towards high GCSE grades than Cambridge, with most applicants gaining roughly around 6A*s. Cambridge pays more attention to AS modular grades as they are a much more recent example of your abilities.
Ok well tbh if this was any year before now that would've probably been a factor if you didn't get in - but now you can put your AS grades down on application, so as long as you show you can get really good results your GCSEs won't matter any more :smile:
Dont know about GCSEs, but think they would like you to be able to spell requirements...
Reply 284
I know they don't care about that :L but thanks, I was researching because school are on my case about it all due to me being the only one in the whole school doing 5 a-levels. I wanted to wait till I got these results to get a ruff idea first but word got around some how :L
They don't care about your GCSEs at oxford I know. They say most applicants have between 4A*s and 9A*s but they commonly take applicants with less than four, and reject with more than 9. Just do well in the aptitude tests and especially in your modular marks for cambridge. Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Dodsworth
I know they don't care about that :L but thanks, I was researching because school are on my case about it all due to me being the only one in the whole school doing 5 a-levels. I wanted to wait till I got these results to get a ruff idea first but word got around some how :L

Even though you don't need 5 A levels, good luck. Good AS results and A2 predictions mean more than GCSE's
To add, things like taking part in the Maths Olympiad can be really useful in the application process :smile:
I thought they took into account how well your school did in relation to the national average?*

*I live in hope.
Original post by pollyrylandsrichey
Ok well tbh if this was any year before now that would've probably been a factor if you didn't get in - but now you can put your AS grades down on application, so as long as you show you can get really good results your GCSEs won't matter any more :smile:

This is false, although some unis may not care about GCSE results anymore, Oxbridge will definately take them into account, as will some other prestigious universities. However it is not the only thing they take into account so concentrate on getting as high as possible in your AS exams and then once you get your results you can decide whether or not to apply.

You have a chance, but will probably need to score higher than other candidates on your ASs, any admissions tests and/or do better in interview to make up for having lower GCSE grades. I know in an Oxford Psychology leaflet I read that they ideally want at least 4 A*s at GCSE from applicants, but it doesn't say you automatically get rejected if you don't have this.
Reply 290
High UMS at AS will favour well with Cambridge.

Oxford have the MAT which you will be required to sit, and from that with the rest of your application they will decide whether to interview you or not. Doing well on that will put you in a much stronger position - it's more reflective of the sort of thinking and capability they're looking for now, rather than how good you were 2 years ago at basic GCSE level.
Reply 291
To add, things like taking part in the Maths Olympiad can be really useful in the application process

I know, I have a silver award from 2 year ago for the Maths challenge, I also was picked for the physics Olympia team the same year, And I have do a lot of other things to help towards my application.
Original post by StacFace
This is false, although some unis may not care about GCSE results anymore, Oxbridge will definately take them into account, as will some other prestigious universities. However it is not the only thing they take into account so concentrate on getting as high as possible in your AS exams and then once you get your results you can decide whether or not to apply.

You have a chance, but will probably need to score higher than other candidates on your ASs, any admissions tests and/or do better in interview to make up for having lower GCSE grades. I know in an Oxford Psychology leaflet I read that they ideally want at least 4 A*s at GCSE from applicants, but it doesn't say you automatically get rejected if you don't have this.

Which other prestigous universitys look at GCSEs?
Generally, the answer would be yes, GCSEs do matter. Considering universities will only have GCSE and AS results when you apply, you will be largely based on that.

However, for maths and physics are the two subjects for which that does not apply. As others are said, to get into a top uni for maths/ physics you need to show and demonstrate an interest and aptitude at the subject.

It's always worth applying, but remember that Oxbridge are looking for the top ~1000 mathematicians in that year. Loads of people get A*s in maths and further maths, loads of people get predicted A*s in maths and further maths. You need to give the university a reason why you should be picked over everyone else. Generally, the only way to demonstrate such ability is through STEP or MAT or AEA maths, etc.
Original post by razmazterz
Which other prestigous universitys look at GCSEs?

Most unis look at them, but the ones that properly take them into consideration tend to be the ones at the top of the league tables. I don't know all of them, but off the top of my head Durham and UCL.
I thought I should seek out advice on TSR as you're normally very helpful!

It would be easier to explain my circumstance first, then ask the question:

At GCSE I got 5A*s, 5As and a C in Chinese: so not too bad.

At A-Level I'm taking History (aiming for an A*) Economics (aiming for an A*) Politics (aiming for an A*) and Philosophy (aiming for an A)

I have a passion for History, Politics and Economics, but also really like Philosophy. My career ambitions are within Politics.

I'm really stuck on what I should apply for at university, especially Oxbridge. Options:
1. PPE at Oxford... Risk not having Maths and go for the subject which matches the most of my interests- despite leaving out history.
2. History+Politics at Oxford... Abandon economics due to not having maths and focus on the two. I've heard though that it's a super competitive course, and am not sure as to the course structure.
3. History at Cambridge... Focus on my greatest passion, the course structure looks good, it's not as competitive but I'd miss out on the other subjects.
4. PPS at Cambridge... Seems interesting!
5. any other options you can think of!

I'm especially concerned with my competitiveness in applying to the course.
The course structure.
And careers options.

Thanks for any advice :smile:
Your GCSEs arnt too bad for top unis, just oxbridge really. The thing is with Maths regarding UMS is that a LOT of people get very high marks at like 290 plus so try and get above 90 in all of your subjects. If u have A* in maths u still have a decent shot at cam coz i spoke to one of the reps from the uni and he sed someone could only have 1A* at GCSE yet this could be in maths (the person who asked wanted to study maths) so he could still be suited to the course.
Yes they matter, no not very much. If you're good at maths then you have a good chance of getting an offer and then the hard part will be meeting it.
Reply 298
Original post by sohoscribbler
Whether it is Oxford or Cambridge, I think it is the choice of college - and faculty - that is more important than the choice of university. It makes a much bigger difference than most people say. Go with your gut instinct. If in doubt, ask to visit before applying and get any promises set down in writing.

It makes no difference to whether or not you get in.
It makes little difference to teaching which is University based except supervisions which you can't judge in advance. But you will get more small group teaching than other universities whichever college you go to.
Even the further flung colleges are closer to the university buildings than many other university halls are from the teaching campus.

Are you at Oxford or Cambridge? Which college and subject?
Reply 299
Original post by NeoConNick
I thought I should seek out advice on TSR as you're normally very helpful!

It would be easier to explain my circumstance first, then ask the question:

At GCSE I got 5A*s, 5As and a C in Chinese: so not too bad.

At A-Level I'm taking History (aiming for an A*) Economics (aiming for an A*) Politics (aiming for an A*) and Philosophy (aiming for an A)

I have a passion for History, Politics and Economics, but also really like Philosophy. My career ambitions are within Politics.

I'm really stuck on what I should apply for at university, especially Oxbridge. Options:
1. PPE at Oxford... Risk not having Maths and go for the subject which matches the most of my interests- despite leaving out history.
2. History+Politics at Oxford... Abandon economics due to not having maths and focus on the two. I've heard though that it's a super competitive course, and am not sure as to the course structure.
3. History at Cambridge... Focus on my greatest passion, the course structure looks good, it's not as competitive but I'd miss out on the other subjects.
4. PPS at Cambridge... Seems interesting!
5. any other options you can think of!

I'm especially concerned with my competitiveness in applying to the course.
The course structure.
And careers options.

Thanks for any advice :smile:

There is plenty of politics in the Cambridge History course. I am doing Economics and we do some of the political history from the History course.

Traditionally PPE was the course if you wanted to do politics but you have ample opportunity whichever of the options you take.

For Cambridge you will need UMS comfortably clear of 90% so why not wait until you have your AS results before deciding.
I think you are right to avoid Economics based courses if you don't have maths.
PPS is significantly less competitive than PPE and tends to take student from a broader range of backgrounds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending