The Student Room Group

The Official "Oxford or Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

For medicine with my grades, which one do I have a better chance of getting into?
Also which uni places more weighting on BMAT?
I got 93.3% SUMS average and I got 6As at AS level ... likely to get 4A* prediction.
I go to a well know grammar school for AS
I went to a non-selective comprehensive for GCSE and got 9A* and 2As
Choosen for 2 Oxford Summer schools...
(regardless of what the feedback is I have a preference anyway but I'm just interested... wanted an honest, unbiased opinion.)
Original post by littlemissdebbie
For medicine with my grades, which one do I have a better chance of getting into?
Also which uni places more weighting on BMAT?
I got 93.3% SUMS average and I got 6As at AS level ... likely to get 4A* prediction.
I go to a well know grammar school for AS
I went to a non-selective comprehensive for GCSE and got 9A* and 2As
Choosen for 2 Oxford Summer schools...
(regardless of what the feedback is I have a preference anyway but I'm just interested... wanted an honest, unbiased opinion.)

Your chances for both are slim (not because your grades are awful, but because both are very competitive). I don't see any reason you would be more likely to get into one over the other.
In my GCSEs I received BBCCCC,would 4As levels at grade AAAA and 3A* at A Level make up for it??
Original post by KrisD98
In my GCSEs I received BBCCCC,would 4As levels at grade AAAA and 3A* at A Level make up for it??

Depends on the course and the subjects you are doing at A-level but assuming they are in line, yes. Very good recent academics can overcome poorer older academics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
after thinking that i wanted to do medicine for ages, i am now thinking about doing a psychology or natural sciences related degree. I'm interested in biology - proteins, carbohydrates and human processes etc. and also nutrition, and then also neuroscience, behavior and the more psychological aspect. Any advice regarding the various courses at Oxford and Cambridge that you think might be the best suited to me would be greatly appreciated as i'm finding it so difficult to decide! I've only visited cambridge so far and enjoyed it however did find it quite bubble-like and don't know if i would enjoy living in a bigger place more. Also in regards to the courses, I really don't enjoy maths and would prefer a course that didn't involve areas related to the subject if possible, also because my maths result for higher was my lowest - though i don't mind if its only for the first year like natSci at cambridge (i think id be doing the elementary maths option for those who had only done gcse hahah)
Thanks in advance!!
I got 4A*,4A and 2B at GCSE.
AS level: AAAA with 88% top average 3 UMS.
A2 prediction: A*A*A*A*/ A*A*A*A
Which do you think I stand more chance of getting into for English?
Original post by alexandra8
after thinking that i wanted to do medicine for ages, i am now thinking about doing a psychology or natural sciences related degree. I'm interested in biology - proteins, carbohydrates and human processes etc. and also nutrition, and then also neuroscience, behavior and the more psychological aspect. Any advice regarding the various courses at Oxford and Cambridge that you think might be the best suited to me would be greatly appreciated as i'm finding it so difficult to decide!
I don't know much about the range of courses here, but Oxford's Biomedical Sciences course sounds quite closely aligned to your interests.

There would be some maths - but there will be in almost any science degree you do.
after thinking that i wanted to do medicine for ages, i am now thinking about doing a psychology or natural sciences related degree. I'm interested in biology - proteins, carbohydrates and human processes etc. and also nutrition, and then also neuroscience, behavior and the more psychological aspect. Any advice regarding the various courses at Oxford and Cambridge that you think might be the best suited to me would be greatly appreciated as i'm finding it so difficult to decide! I've only visited cambridge so far and enjoyed it however did find it quite bubble-like and don't know if i would enjoy living in a bigger place more. Also in regards to the courses, I really don't enjoy maths and would prefer a course that didn't involve areas related to the subject if possible, also because my maths result for higher was my lowest - though i don't mind if its only for the first year like natSci at cambridge (i think id be doing the elementary maths option for those who had only done gcse hahah)
Thanks in advance!!

I'd suggest doing biomedical sciences or experimental psychology if you're not sure about medicine, as there's no point of becoming a doctor only to find you don't actually want to do it.
If you do one of the above degrees you can always go back and apply for graduate medicine as well, should you decide you want to be a doctor too.
Original post by not you
I'd suggest doing biomedical sciences or experimental psychology if you're not sure about medicine, as there's no point of becoming a doctor only to find you don't actually want to do it.
If you do one of the above degrees you can always go back and apply for graduate medicine as well, should you decide you want to be a doctor too.

Would you say Oxford over Cambridge for those courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you say Oxford over Cambridge for those courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you're interested in biomedical sciences you pretty much have to go to oxford, but for psychology at oxford you'll have to pick whether you want to do science-based psychology or humanities-based psychology.

At cambridge you'll be doing pbs which is a mix of science and humanities (from what I understand anyway)

I'd think they both recommend you do maths, although as far as I know it's not required for either.
Original post by not you
Well if you're interested in biomedical sciences you pretty much have to go to oxford, but for psychology at oxford you'll have to pick whether you want to do science-based psychology or humanities-based psychology.

At cambridge you'll be doing pbs which is a mix of science and humanities (from what I understand anyway)

I'd think they both recommend you do maths, although as far as I know it's not required for either.

I think you're misremembering PBS and HSPS.

HSPS (Human, Social, and Political Science) is the mix of sciences & humanities, perhaps most similar to PPE at Oxford.

PBS is Psychological and Behavioural Sciences
and is accredited by the British Psychological Society
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/psychological-and-behavioural-sciences

And for biomedicine - Cambridge offers that route via NatSci
http://www.biology.cam.ac.uk/undergrads/nst/bbs
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill

HSPS (Human, Social, and Political Science) is the mix of sciences & humanities, perhaps most similar to PPE at Oxford.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/psychological-and-behavioural-sciences

oops, had it in my head that PBS was about human science even though HSPS is the one with 'Human' in the title
Original post by jneill

Biomedical science sounds interesting however i feel that it would lack in the application to actual people, which is what attracted me primarily to medicine and then psychology! I think for psychology I would probably try and tailor it towards human sciences because there are lots of Natsci paper options, however there's still the possibility of learning about other areas as its a broader course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biomedical science sounds interesting however i feel that it would lack in the application to actual people, which is what attracted me primarily to medicine and then psychology! I think for psychology I would probably try and tailor it towards human sciences because there are lots of Natsci paper options, however there's still the possibility of learning about other areas as its a broader course :smile:

So you need to compare the (very many and various) NatSci options with PBS. If you want to be an accredited psychologist you might need to stick with PBS.
Original post by jneill
So you need to compare the (very many and various) NatSci options with PBS. If you want to be an accredited psychologist you might need to stick with PBS.

Yeah! Thanks so much for everyone's help again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795
I wish to study medicine and I have achieved:

11.5 A*s at GCSE
5 As at AS-Level (inc Gen Stdies)

Now here's what I'm worried about, my predicted A2 grades are A*A*A (I'm aiming for A*A*A*)

If I were to apply to Oxford, would I be disadvantaged in any way by my predicted grades (as opposed to someone who's predicted A*A*A*)?
Original post by simbasdragon
I got 4A*,4A and 2B at GCSE.
AS level: AAAA with 88% top average 3 UMS.
A2 prediction: A*A*A*A*/ A*A*A*A
Which do you think I stand more chance of getting into for English?

Anyone?
Anyone?

I *think* that your UMS are a little low for Cambridge but being a Dark Blue person, I cannot say for sure. Usually I think people have an average of 90+ for their UMS for Cambridge. Maybe a Tab in here can confirm :yes:
Anyone?

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I *think* that your UMS are a little low for Cambridge but being a Dark Blue person, I cannot say for sure. Usually I think people have an average of 90+ for their UMS for Cambridge. Maybe a Tab in here can confirm

It will largely depend on your ELAT (and then Interview) at Oxford, or a straight Interview at Cambridge. I'd say you have a similar chance at either.

Edit to add: Yes your UMS is a fraction low for Cambridge but a good interview can make up for it. It probably depends on how confident you are with the extra test required by the ELAT.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
It will largely depend on your ELAT (and then Interview) at Oxford, or a straight Interview at Cambridge. I'd say you have a similar chance at either.

Edit to add: Yes your UMS is a fraction low for Cambridge but a good interview can make up for it. It probably depends on how confident you are with the extra test required by the ELAT.

I reckon I could do quite well on the ELAT, but my heart is set on Cambridge and I'm waiting on a remark. If my UMS goes up to 90%, would my chances still be too low?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest