The Student Room Group

The Official "Oxford or Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Equality4all
I know that. What I said weren't excuses, at the end of the day it came down to poor Academical perfomances. What I asked was not to do with the jump from year 10 to year 11, but bearing in mind if I manage to get top A-Level grades, would I still be considered, or would I be disqualified from being offered a place at those Universities, because of my poor GCSE's?

You would still be considered and you have a chance with Oxford/Cambridge if you do well on your AS levels. The only real warning would be for Universities which are reputed for being picky about A levels (LSE springs to mind).

Otherwise, good AS grades generally cancel out average GCSE grades.

Original post by cros
Your grades won't stop you but you might want to tone down the arrogance in the way you speak about your potential...lots of people mess around at GCSE (me included, and before you ask, I go to Oxford so do know the system) but don't come across as feeling entitled when they don't get 13 perfect A*s...your grades are okay but you'll need to do very well at AS and have good extra-curricular to prove your dedication to whichever subject you choose...Sorry to come across as a bit harsh but it will help you in the long run...trust me.

I can understand what you say, but I am not arragont, although from reading this back it may reflect myself as being that way. The reason why I am disappointed is because I know I could have done better (I will be the first to say though, that those were the grades I deserved) and it's not because I think I have all the potential in the world to top everything. You may have felt the same at the time, but now you go to Oxford, therefore it proves that you have worked hard when it came to it. Thanks for your advice nevertheless, I will make sure I work hard to get to where I want :smile:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993

You would still be considered and you have a chance with Oxford/Cambridge if you do well on your AS levels. The only real warning would be for Universities which are reputed for being picky about A levels (LSE springs to mind).

Otherwise, good AS grades generally cancel out average GCSE grades.

Yeah, I read about LSE blacklisting certain subjects. Thanks for your help!
Reply 163
Original post by cros
Your grades won't stop you but you might want to tone down the arrogance in the way you speak about your potential...lots of people mess around at GCSE (me included, and before you ask, I go to Oxford so do know the system) but don't come across as feeling entitled when they don't get 13 perfect A*s...your grades are okay but you'll need to do very well at AS and have good extra-curricular to prove your dedication to whichever subject you choose...Sorry to come across as a bit harsh but it will help you in the long run...trust me.

I personally find a sense that one hasn't quite achieved one's full potential to be frank and honest, and far more respectable than those who suddenly realise that they were in exceptional circumstances on A-level Results' Day.
I was thinking of re-taking 3 exams (History, Eng Lit and Lang) to up my grades to 5A*s and 6A's from 4A*'s, 5A's and 2B's, but if GCSE's aren't going to be playing a major role during the application process, then I may just stick with what I got. All your responses have been taken aboard and very much appreciated.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 165
Sorry for interrupting guys but i hav a few questions:

What do co-curricular activities include? Anything we do besides studying?
Any competitions (including sports ones) we hav taken part in? Any volunteering work we hav been involved in? What else?

I know these questions r a bit odd but i thought that someone cud clear this up for me. Thanks.
I think it is to do with volunteer work, sports you play/practise, anything you do outside school which bascially represents you in a positive light. For instance, if you practise Mixed Martial Arts - if shows that you are active, determined and keen to learn more. If you do volunteer work, then it demonstrates your ability of wanting to gain experience and get ahead. Things as such, I think.
Original post by Equality4all
I think it is to do with volunteer work, sports you play/practise, anything you do outside school which bascially represents you in a positive light. For instance, if you practise Mixed Martial Arts - if shows that you are active, determined and keen to learn more. If you do volunteer work, then it demonstrates your ability of wanting to gain experience and get ahead. Things as such, I think.

Do not talk about extra-curricular activities if they are not directly related to your chosen course (this is for Oxford and Cambridge mainly).

(Most people mention them in a very short paragraph/line of their Personal Statement for the benefit of other universities...)

Admissions is done primarily on an academic basis - so you could be a crazy person who never goes out but if you're good at whatever you choose to study then you'll be better off than someone who is does loads of extra stuff beyond academic work but who is mediocre academically.
Hey everyone, sorry to interrupt but I was wondering if you could help me. Hello! Basically I'm kind of stuck between applying to Oxford or Cambridge for Eng Lit. Just wondering if anyone's got advice about which I'm more likely to get an offer from/what it's like being there?

I love the fact that the Oxford english course starts earlier, and the historical contexts bits. I also know that it's the best university for English and has the biggest English faculty and some bits of the town I think are really beautiful. Apparently you can also do bits of classical literature in your modules, any more info on this?

However I also like the look of the cambridge course. I like that you can take a module in a foreign language (I would do greek or latin) as part of the course, and the tragedy paper that you take in the third year. I also think that Cambridge as a town is much prettier overall than Oxford- however as my grades aren't all that high i've been advised to apply to a college either out of town, or with less beautiful buildings as I might have more chance of an offer.

I have 9A*'s 2A's (physics and stats) and a B (dance-woops) at GCSE, 4 A's (UMS 192 for latin, 194 for Art, 186 for history but only 184 for English :/) at A2 and am predicted 4 A*'s.

ANY advice about which to go for would be sooooo helpful! Thank you!
Hey sorry to interrupt but I really need help. Basically I'm really stuck between Oxford or Cambridge for studying English Literature. Just wondering if anyone's got advice about which I'm more likely to get an offer from/what it's like being there?

I love the fact that the Oxford course starts earlier, and the historical contexts bits. I also know that it's the best university for English and has the biggest English faculty and some bits of the town I think are really beautiful. Apparently you can also do bits of classical literature in your modules, any more info on this?

However I also like the look of the cambridge course. I like that you can take a module in a foreign language (I would do greek or latin) as part of the course, and the tragedy paper that you take in the third year. I also think that Cambridge as a town is much prettier overall than Oxford- however as my grades aren't all that high i've been advised to apply to a college either out of town, or with less beautiful buildings as I might have more chance of an offer.

I have 9A*'s 2A's (physics and stats) and a B (dance-woops) at GCSE, 4 A's (UMS 192 for latin, 194 for Art, 186 for history but only 184 for English :/) at AS and am predicted 4 A*'s.

Original post by icing_frolick
Hey everyone, sorry to interrupt but I was wondering if you could help me. Hello! Basically I'm kind of stuck between applying to Oxford or Cambridge for Eng Lit. Just wondering if anyone's got advice about which I'm more likely to get an offer from/what it's like being there?

I love the fact that the Oxford english course starts earlier, and the historical contexts bits. I also know that it's the best university for English and has the biggest English faculty and some bits of the town I think are really beautiful. Apparently you can also do bits of classical literature in your modules, any more info on this?

I have 9A*'s 2A's (physics and stats) and a B (dance-woops) at GCSE, 4 A's (UMS 192 for latin, 194 for Art, 186 for history but only 184 for English :/) at A2 and am predicted 4 A*'s.

I doubt your chances would be any higher or lower at either institution to be honest.

English is a subjective subject - I think if you really impress at interview/Elat (For Oxford) then they'll decide for themselves how good at English you are. Note: you won't have to declare UMS for Oxford but it'd be a tad weird if your reference mentioned Latin and Art but not your chosen subject.

Also, people assume that applying to a less 'prestigious' college will maximise their chances - this isn't true. The success rate across colleges is about the same, it;s just that the more popular ones have to shift some of their good candidates to other colleges. So apply to the one you can see yourself living in for the next three years. If you're good enough for Oxford/Cambridge both have good systems in place to make sure you'll get an offer, despite college choice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks a lot that's actually really helpful. There's a teacher at my school who's really into applying strategically, but I think what you've said is a better idea. Are my UMS scores definitely too low to mention then?
Thanks a lot that's actually really helpful. There's a teacher at my school who's really into applying strategically, but I think what you've said is a better idea. Are my UMS scores definitely too low to mention then?

Haha no your UMS scores are very impressive!
(I only got 176/200 for English, but I made up for it at A2 :colondollar:)

Did any individual modules get very high scores (close to full marks)? For example, my referee mentioned my full marks in English coursework while studiously ignoring the 80% dead on in the exam....with Oxford you can pick and choose :wink:

Also - Latin and Art are definitely worth mentioning!

EDIT: Now that I think about it, 184 is still very impressive! (Hahah you know you're applying to a top university when you question whether 92% is good enough) My friend got into New College to study English with that exact UMS mark for AS :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 173
If it's across your best THREE subjects, is 88% across 3 AS's good? (leaving out the 4th).
Do not talk about extra-curricular activities if they are not directly related to your chosen course (this is for Oxford and Cambridge mainly).

(Most people mention them in a very short paragraph/line of their Personal Statement for the benefit of other universities...)

Admissions is done primarily on an academic basis - so you could be a crazy person who never goes out but if you're good at whatever you choose to study then you'll be better off than someone who is does loads of extra stuff beyond academic work but who is mediocre academically.

Most people talk about ECs in a paragraph on the personal statement, do they not?

While they won't help for Oxbridge, I thought it was reasonably normal to still talk about them on the PS?
*breathes a sigh of relief* - so scared that I'll be up against people with 100% in everything, it's so nice to hear that some people are human!

My coursework is 96% i think, and i got 100 in a history module but that's not really relevant i suppose. Do you reckon I should show my UMS scores on my application then? I was at the english faculty and they said only to mention UMS if they're exceptionally high - but as you said it would look weird mentioning latin and art but not English...
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Most people talk about ECs in a paragraph on the personal statement, do they not?

While they won't help for Oxbridge, I thought it was reasonably normal to still talk about them on the PS?

Yes - I mentioned putting a short bit about ECs in the personal statement. I was just warning them not to spout out too much about it.

*breathes a sigh of relief* - so scared that I'll be up against people with 100% in everything, it's so nice to hear that some people are human!

My coursework is 96% i think, and i got 100 in a history module but that's not really relevant i suppose. Do you reckon I should show my UMS scores on my application then? I was at the english faculty and they said only to mention UMS if they're exceptionally high - but as you said it would look weird mentioning latin and art but not English...

Well I hope only humans are applying to University... :wink: Don't be too intimidated - of course some people will get full marks in loads of subjects but the point of the interview is to judge beyond grades - otherwise they'd just select the best 25% marks....

History is relevant! It's an essay based subject where you have to write coherently and cogently about a certain topic. Of course the style is different but I wouldn't hide away your 100 percent scores :P
If you just get your referee to mention them in your reference rather than typing them into the UCAS form then you can be more selective and it wouldn't be as obvious as just having a list of UMS scores with a couple missing.

That way it'll just seem like your referee cherry-picked the best.
(edited 12 years ago)
Brilliant I'll do that :smile: any tips for interview/ particularly nice colleges to apply to for english?
Brilliant I'll do that :smile: any tips for interview/ particularly nice colleges to apply to for english?

I'm not sure what happens in an English interview, though I remember my friedn telling me he was asked "What is satire?" and he spent a few minutes trying to be quirky and floundering...

I can't recommend any college other than Trinity :smile: But of course I am biased.
It's central, the lawns are huge, the food is delicious. (I'm sure the English tutors are lovely too :tongue:)

Have you been to an open day?
Yeah I went yesterday. I looked at St Edmund's Hall which was really pretty, Hertford, New, Brasenose -

Catz was the only one where I actually talked to tutors and I really liked them - although the building obviously isn't as nice as other places. I didn't see Trinity - although that's one of the really so-called 'prestigious' ones isn't it? What did you get in for?

And as you mention it, did he flounder and still get in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending