The Student Room Group

HSBC student Account - £1000 overdraft, I don't want it can it be removed?

I have opened up a HSBC account and I have automatically been credited with £1000 overdraft which I do not want in my account whatsoever. Is there anyway I can get it removed, as I shouldnt need an overdraft whatsoever during my 3 years of University and I don't want to be tempted to use it or even worse forget that it is overdraft and use it thinking it's my own money.

Scroll to see replies

Why don't you just get a normal account. Isn't the only difference with a student the overdraft.
Reply 2
I'm sure HSBC have a customer contact number. :P
Original post by persistance
I have opened up a HSBC account and I have automatically been credited with £1000 overdraft which I do not want in my account whatsoever. Is there anyway I can get it removed, as I shouldnt need an overdraft whatsoever during my 3 years of University and I don't want to be tempted to use it or even worse forget that it is overdraft and use it thinking it's my own money.

Just show some restraint and ignore it? It shouldn't be too hard. If you check your balance on internet banking or whatever it will clearly show two different figures, "balance" and "available money" or something along those lines - just don't go over the normal balance figure.

In fact, if it's a 0% overdraft, it's actually more financially efficient to just live off the overdraft, and put the rest into a savings account.
Just don't use it and ignore it. Changing account types might affect your interests, charges etc.

Of course you can have it removed :smile:

And it is very responsible to do so if you dont want to use it but know you may be tempted ... Just pop into branch and ask them to remove it for you and it shouldnt take long at all. You may be able to do so on the internet banking as well :smile:
Reply 6
Why don't you want it.... It's interest free!
The whole point of getting a student account is for the overdraft surely...
Reply 7
Do you have a lot of money in your account if you don't mind me asking... :P
I only got £750 overdraft with £1000 plus in my account :\
Reply 8
Dont just ignore it, ring up and tell them to get it removed if you did not request it.
020 7991 8888
Reply 9
I should perhaps get the overdraft from natwest which will let me make more investments. It's not automatic for natwest accounts, you have to ask.

Yet with the overdrafts they can trick you into breaking their rules where they steal your money, so it's risky.

Don't trust banks.
Reply 10
You can repay it before the interest begins.

Still it is risky business.
Reply 11
Original post by Hipster

It's not interest free forever.

When is it not?
Reply 12
The bankers themselves get free money. They spend the money you put in your bank account but much worse is that they have unlimited supplies of paper money from central banks.

Bankers have a monopoly on money. They control it.
Original post by Hipster
One or two years after you graduate, depending on your bank.

If banks had interest free overdrafts forever, that would basically be free money…that doesn't exist.

Yesyes but for a time it's interest-free. The smart thing to do is to use the overdraft, but depositing the requisite loan amount, then withdrawing it to an instant access savings account, and living off the overdraft, in effect giving you a little bit of free money (probably £200-£300 over three years).
Original post by MatthewLM
The bankers themselves get free money. They spend the money you put in your bank account but much worse is that they have unlimited supplies of paper money from central banks.

Bankers have a monopoly on money. They control it.

UK banks do not operate on a ponzi scheme... They invest the money you put in your bank, and then get pay and bonuses for doing so.
Reply 15
Original post by Hipster
One or two years after you graduate, depending on your bank.

If banks had interest free overdrafts forever, that would basically be free money…that doesn't exist.

Well that is obvious..
I was talking about when you are a student. Why would you not want interest free overdraft for emergencies and hard times in your three (or more) years at university. Of course you have to pay it back.
Reply 16
Fractional reserve banking is terrible but I would agree it's not technically a ponzi scheme.
Reply 17
You can probably call and ask them to take it off - I'm sure they'd be happy to. I have an overdraft but have no intention whatsoever of using it.
Reply 18

Is the overdraft interest-free?
Reply 19
yes my overdraft is interest free.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending