A good weight for 15 year old to lift? Watch

This discussion is closed.
ImNormal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Seeing as I'm not old enought to lift weights at the gym yet, I was wondering what is a good weight to lift?
I am thinking of getting a dumbbell set for at home to help with muscle etc...

If anybody could recommend me a weight, and if you know a place really cheap to buy them please post a link.
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
About tree fiddy
ImNormal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
About tree fiddy
Eh?
lordromanov
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends how you lift them. You can lift twice as much in one way than in another.

Maybe just get a set where you can mix and match plates so the weight can be changed.
EonBlueApocalypse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Unless your naturally muscular like you see those 15 year old muscle teens who don't lift weights and are still bigger than most guys who do I lay off the proper weight lifting.
Until you're a bit older I'd stick to doing push up (different variations) sit ups, tricep dips and maybe use some light dumbbells like 6kg-8kg. You'll see a difference which should see you on until your old enough to hit the gym properly.
Elliot.93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A weight which causes you to struggle on your 8th rep. Whatever weight that is is numerically is irrelevant.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You know that, in most cases, nobody checks how old you are at the gym and you can just use the weights anyway. I always did.

With regard to weight just pick a good routine and follow it much the same as anyone else does, eating loads as you go.
TyrosineKinase
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is a reason why no respectable gym will let a 15 year old lift weights and i will let you brainboxes figure it out
Ifeelsoeducation
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TyrosineKinase)
There is a reason why no respectable gym will let a 15 year old lift weights and i will let you brainboxes figure it out
'Cus of the insurance. That's it. If you think it is for any other reason you're retarded.
mituozo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
about 350
J.Star
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Obviously I can see why gyms dont want 15 year olds lifting weights, but just because you're 15 doesn't mean that you will be irresponsible in the gym. I joined gym (La Fitness) when I was 15 and I never injured myself/other people or did anything stupid.
Josh_Dey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I started when I was just 14. Go for it, it really helps; just don't over do it and don't do too much over your head...

I got my dumbells from Argos for about £30.. It was a dumbell and barbell set.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Like everyone over 15, I was 15 once (and frequented the gym). It's taken 'seriously' when you want to beat your mates there, but in all reality a couple of 15 year olds don't know how to use equipment or train properly and spend loads of time pissing others off unintentionally.

Officially they say insurance and I am positive there were cases of a gym being sued by 15 year old boys and younger, but in reality your average 15 y.o would not sue a gym - he would just be a nuisance to everyone in it.
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
About the weight of a footlong sub at Subway, judging by the 15 year olds I know.
Forums^^
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No weight,

Unless its the component of weight of your own body when doing press ups, sit ups or pull ups.
from my experience their all you'll need at 15. That and running.

Plus you wont get a horribly deformed body shape from spending all your time bench pressing and doing bicep curls.
Old School
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ImNormal)
Seeing as I'm not old enought to lift weights at the gym yet, I was wondering what is a good weight to lift?

If anybody could recommend me a weight, and if you know a place really cheap to buy them please post a link.
Either find a gym that lets you lift (good gyms will, all this 'kid's get stunted growth from lifting' stuff is utter nonesense. Anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of anatomy and physiology knows this...) or buy weights set and a pair of squat stands.

I would suggest the former.

Good luck buddy, I hope you enjoy the magic of lifting when you get around to starting .
Old School
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Forums^^)
No weight,

Unless its the component of weight of your own body when doing press ups, sit ups or pull ups.
from my experience their all you'll need at 15. That and running.

Plus you wont get a horribly deformed body shape from spending all your time bench pressing and doing bicep curls.
Because being a skinny fat bag of bones with a mild case of kyphosis from sitting in front of a computer screen all day is sooooo attractive.

Also, jogging gives you AIDS.
username533239
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ImNormal)

you're not normal if you need to use weights for something...
Mr Incredible
Report 7 years ago
Go leg press your mums car tbh
kidoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I strongly advise against anything more than 5kg dumbells or you will stun your growth. 5kg is good enough to get your biceps / triceps toned and also if you use different techniques you will build modest chest muscles.

Sure, you might see some people your age who brag about doing 20kg etc etc but considering you probably don't weight more than 50-60....just re-unite with those kids in 10 years time and you'll understand what I mean
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.65%
No I am happy with my course choice (521)
59.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.45%

Watched Threads