The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kidoo
I strongly advise against anything more than 5kg dumbells or you will stun your growth. 5kg is good enough to get your biceps / triceps toned and also if you use different techniques you will build modest chest muscles.

Sure, you might see some people your age who brag about doing 20kg etc etc but considering you probably don't weight more than 50-60....just re-unite with those kids in 10 years time and you'll understand what I mean :smile:

If you're joking lol.

If you're not I'm seriously worried.
Reply 21
Original post by kidoo
I strongly advise against anything more than 5kg dumbells or you will stun your growth. 5kg is good enough to get your biceps / triceps toned and also if you use different techniques you will build modest chest muscles.

Sure, you might see some people your age who brag about doing 20kg etc etc but considering you probably don't weight more than 50-60....just re-unite with those kids in 10 years time and you'll understand what I mean :smile:

Seriously? Disregard everything this guy said.

Lifting more than 5kg does not stunt growth lmao, I started at 15 when I was 5' 10 and am now 6' at almost 17, so lifting doesn't stunt growth.

My advice; if you don't want/can't use the gym properly yet buy a dumb-bell set and possibly a bench that can do incline/decline. Get dumb-bells that can go up to about 20kg (by the time you can use 20kg dumb-bells if think you'll be ready to start using the gym properly). You can do bicep curls, concentration curls, tricep kickbacks, dumb-bell rows, chest press (incline/flat), flies (incline/decline) and dumb-bell squats if you feel like it. All of these exercises are very easy to get good form and you won't injure yourself. Find a weight that you can do 6-10 reps for 3-4 sets with per exercise. Also, wide grip pull ups/tri-dips are good exercises.

Then when you're old enough go to the gym and put up the weights and observe gains (make sure you're eating enough).

Also, if you need to search how to do exercises go to: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/
Reply 22
Original post by Old School
Because being a skinny fat bag of bones with a mild case of kyphosis from sitting in front of a computer screen all day is sooooo attractive.

Also, jogging gives you AIDS.

Did you actually read my post?
Original post by Forums^^
Did you actually read my post?

Yes. You suggested that a 15 year old who wants to start lifting shouldn't. You are wrong.

Look at the athletes that get churned out of North American colleges. They are awesome. This is because they start training properly (i.e. lifting) in high school.

Oly lifters from the Eastern Bloc and China dominate because they start early.

Part of the reason that we in the UK suck at power sports is because of the silly notion perpetrated by 'experts' who have never trained a day in their lives that young people shouldn't train hard and most importantly, lift.

I'm not suggesting OP wants to be an elite-level athlete. I just get irritated by people with absolutly no grounding in basic anatomy and physiology and most importantly, don't train properly wade in on discussions like this spouting rubbish. (Btw rant was not aimed at you directly).
Reply 24
Original post by kidoo

do you also believe people will go blind from pleasuring themselves, or impair their eye sight by sitting too close to the tv?
I think I can shed some light on this seeing as I'm 15.
I can currently curl 30-35 lbs but I have been doing it for about a year now.
I started when I was 14 and began with 20 lbs though
Just try to find the amount of weight it takes you to make you tired after 8 reps, it means it's the perfect amount of weight for you.
Also, don't max it, you don't want to stunt your growth or rip something.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Jake Stork
I think I can shed some light on this seeing as I'm 15.
I can currently curl 30-35 lbs but I have been doing it for about a year now.
I started when I was 14 and began with 20 lbs though
Just try to find the amount of weight it takes you to make you tired after 8 reps, it means it's the perfect amount of weight for you.
Also, don't max it, you don't want to stunt your growth or rip something.

Hope this helps.

Oh dear.

Thread locked cause 4 years old

Latest