The Student Room Group

How do I apply to a university in Canada from the UK?

Is there a Canadian version of UCAS?

I would like to study at University of Toronto, Ontario, on an Undergraduate degree.

Does anyone know how I would go about this? Would I have to apply directly to the Uni, or is there a Canadian version of UCAS?

Also... how do I get a study permit and who do I contact for grants/loans/financial help. England or Canada, or both? And who in those countries?

P.S. As with most universities I realise there is competition to get in, but what are my chances of getting accepted as a British international student? I’ve just finished my A-levels, and acquired average results. Will it be harder for me?

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 1
uni's in canada require you to submit separate applications for each uni
But since U of T is in ontario, you'll go through OUAC http://www.ouac.on.ca/ (this is only for ontario universities, for others, see individual websites)

I assume you're english, so you would get student loans from your government, unless you can somehow claim canadian citizenship. I don't know what the UK's policy is on international student loans, especially with the new system so you should look at the student finance website and make some calls.

To apply for a student visa, you'll go through the canadian government http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study.asp
Don't really know the details, but that website should help

Honestly, you being accepted depends on the faculty you're applying for. If you;re going for engineering, probably not a good chance with average results. However, you do have a good chance in Arts and Social Sciences, as they're requirements are much more lenient. However, i am sure priority is given to home students. I'm not too sure on the policy there, maybe someone else can help.

Just want to make it clear to you as well, that our degrees are four years instead of three, that we declare our major at the end of our first or second year, and that for an international student, it'll be about 20000 canadian dollars a year....not including accommodation or living expenses.

Only undertake studying abroad if you're truly willing to work your ass off to make it happen:smile:
good luck! i have friends going to U of T and they all seem to enjoy it (the engineering dept covers their freshmen in purple paint and then make 'em run through downtown toronto...truly a sight to see:wink: )
Did you manage to move their and study at the Uni? In a similar situation and need help from someone who's done it all, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending