The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Coventry uni is rumoured to be relatively high, not sure if it's accurate though. People who live in Priory Halls used to jump off the top of the building.. it is an extremely depressing building admittedly!
I been googling it and Oxford keeps coming up. Says the final exams cause people to do it.
Reply 42
Original post by Ollie901
I thought it was Lancaster but can't remember why I think that.

That's what I've been told as well... no idea what the source is though.
Reply 43
Original post by Jackal The
Well, it could kind of prove something regarding Oxbridge for example.

It could certainly prove that the media is fixated on those two universities above all others, especially when there's a negative point to be made.

For example, in my first year at Oxford, there was a suicide in college. The Daily Mail (or was it the Express?) evidently decided, upon hearing the news, that the most appropriate action was to start calling the phones of random students in the college for comment. Nice, decent behaviour to put a community in mourning through.
Reply 44
Original post by cpchem

Original post by cpchem
It could certainly prove that the media is fixated on those two universities above all others, especially when there's a negative point to be made.

For example, in my first year at Oxford, there was a suicide in college. The Daily Mail (or was it the Express?) evidently decided, upon hearing the news, that the most appropriate action was to start calling the phones of random students in the college for comment. Nice, decent behaviour to put a community in mourning through.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. =| I actually meant it could possibly prove that universities with higher standards and a higher workload did not result in a greater amount of suicides, though.
Reply 45
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. =| I actually meant it could possibly prove that universities with higher standards and a higher workload did not result in a greater amount of suicides, though.

It's difficult to say. I think the numbers are so small that any results one might try to get would suffer from a stunning lack of statistical significance. For example, I think there were between two and four at Oxford during my time (i.e. four years) there. That's (thankfully!) so few, that you just can't get meaningful data out. That, and the fact that the whole subject is so depressing, is probably why nobody's ever bothered to do the research!
Original post by TheEssence
a joke i found on sickipedia

Is this a joke........or just a very good explanation for our current situation?
I'm just curious if anyone has any official numbers, because I've heard the following mentioned a lot:

Essex
Keele
Warwick
Glasgow
Stirling
Edinburgh
Royal Holloway
Kent

So does anyone have any idea? =| Thank you!

Where did you hear that? I've studied there for 2 years and I don't remember hearing about any (unless they keep them very quiet/I've forgotten)...
I've heard Oxford and Cambridge in the news more than any other, although Loughborough used to be one of the highest. Not so much anymore, but when I used to live near there many years ago, there were always stories of students jumping off that huge university building in the center of town :s-smilie: Lancaster and Keele seem to float around too as having quite high suicide rates
Found this in the telegraph (sssh I don't usually read it but google took me to it) and thought this might be relevant to the discussion:
The issue of student suicides has been highlighted by a spate of recent deaths in Edinburgh, where seven students have taken their own lives. Among them were Catriona MacAulay, 18, a first-year psychology student at Edinburgh University, who hanged herself in May in the stairwell outside her city centre flat, shortly before she was due to sit her exams. Another victim was Kate Hodgson, a first-year medical student, who died after a fall in November, having previously told friends that she did not like her course and was finding it difficult to cope.
A study at Edinburgh University, prompted by the tragedies, concluded that while the number of suicides was "unacceptably high" there was nothing to suggest that students in the city were more likely than other young people to take their own lives.
Oxford University, which suffered a spate of student suicides in the early Nineties, reached a similar conclusion in 1997, despite being blamed by the family of a 22-year-old student, Sarah Napuk, for her suicide shortly before her final exams that year. It said that suicides, some of which were "unpreventable", were not especially high among students.
The National Union of Students has also warned that student suicides are on the increase. Its research showed that 61 per cent of undergraduates suffered from depression during their first year, with 12 per cent reporting that they felt suicidal at some point during their studies. One cause was the breakdown of parents' marriages, which often occurred soon after students left home to begin their university course. This led to a "January phenomenon" in which undergraduates returned to college after the Christmas vacation suffering from depression caused by the impact of parents' separation.
Reply 50
I thought it was self-explanatory, no?

I'm not quite sure why it would be..

If you feel you might be in the slightest bit suicidal / have pre-existing mental heath problems help might be a better option than picking a university with a slightly lower suicide rate as I doubt it'd tip the balance.

If I felt suicidal I wouldn't start looking for places in the country to move to with low suicide rates, because broad statistics don't really effect individual probability.

Go somewhere you think YOU will be happy because you like it/the course/the people etc... Even if it's suicide rate is highest in the country.
Original post by Marinated_in_Joy
Found this in the telegraph (sssh I don't usually read it but google took me to it) and thought this might be relevant to the discussion:
The issue of student suicides has been highlighted by a spate of recent deaths in Edinburgh, where seven students have taken their own lives. Among them were Catriona MacAulay, 18, a first-year psychology student at Edinburgh University, who hanged herself in May in the stairwell outside her city centre flat, shortly before she was due to sit her exams. Another victim was Kate Hodgson, a first-year medical student, who died after a fall in November, having previously told friends that she did not like her course and was finding it difficult to cope.
A study at Edinburgh University, prompted by the tragedies, concluded that while the number of suicides was "unacceptably high" there was nothing to suggest that students in the city were more likely than other young people to take their own lives.
Oxford University, which suffered a spate of student suicides in the early Nineties, reached a similar conclusion in 1997, despite being blamed by the family of a 22-year-old student, Sarah Napuk, for her suicide shortly before her final exams that year. It said that suicides, some of which were "unpreventable", were not especially high among students.
The National Union of Students has also warned that student suicides are on the increase. Its research showed that 61 per cent of undergraduates suffered from depression during their first year, with 12 per cent reporting that they felt suicidal at some point during their studies. One cause was the breakdown of parents' marriages, which often occurred soon after students left home to begin their university course. This led to a "January phenomenon" in which undergraduates returned to college after the Christmas vacation suffering from depression caused by the impact of parents' separation.

Lol. I've literally just read that. The article was from 11 years ago though.
Are people just guessing?

Whichever one it is Im sure its not by a large margin; it probably changes frequently.
Original post by Rascacielos
I sincerely hope no one's ever done a study on this.

Why not? It'd be a pretty good study, no?
Reply 54
Why would that even come to your mind? Really?
Reply 55
Ive heard leeds...... however I cant remember my source and I cant think of any reason for it other then they have a lot of students. hmmm this post doesnt contribute much, probably time to go to bed
Original post by ilickbatteries
Why not? It'd be a pretty good study, no?

As I've said before, what does it prove?
I thought it was self-explanatory, no?

Are you trolling? Because this is not self-explanatory, there seems to be no logic or reason behind your asking, if you are feeling suicidal then i would recommend speaking to someone.
Original post by rollin 60s crip
it's actually Imperial. Hard work + soulless concrete block environment with no females = rope.

Also MIT is quite famous for it's high suicide rate I've heard. Was in the news. A girl there set herself on fire in her room

Whats MIT? :s-smilie:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I heard it's Edinburgh Napier.

I heard it was Stirling the other day, everyone probably has something different to say :dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending