The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cornishscot
...have nothing to say (as would appear does anyone on here so far) about my constructive suggestion that Casting should have told the reserves certain dates they should try to keep clear in order to attend compulsory rehearsals in the event that they do eventually get cast.

That is a very reasonable suggestion and would be really helpful I guess. The only reason I can think of why Casting did not disclose these dates so far is security, in that they might try to keep as much as possible under wraps. Sending those dates to a number of people who unfortunately will not end up joining the cast might be regarded as counter-productive.

cornishscot, you put a lot of time and thought into analysing the whole process. It's really admirable that you still keep yourself available in spite of everything. I so hope that you (and the other reserves) will receive "the email" - soon!
Original post by redonionmarmalade
Hello,

Another lurker. I auditioned 16th Feb and then recall the 22nd (I think!). Recall was hiphop. I've done lots of dancing but mainly ballet and jazz and struggled with looking 'cool'! I just wanted to add my stats. I have yet to hear anything, but I auditioned with three friends who have all heard. One got an offer for Closing (two to three weeks ago), and two more got straight out nos (last week).

Omg I am the EXACT same boat as you. My recall was the 18th though but similar to you I do completely different styles of dance to the one that was in the recall audition. I also struggled. I have not heard either. Just checked the old inbox then – still nothing. Here's hoping we hear something this week! Xx
Reply 6682
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's disappointing but I'm not going to completely give up hope, although I think I may start to plan a few things for the odd weekend so I don't have a completely empty summer up until 27 July (after that I will be focused on watching/soaking up the atmosphere of the Olympics and Paralympics!) - but probably nothing that can't be cancelled in case I do get the call-up. The dress reheasal dates at least are easily found on google so I'll probably keep them free.

I agree with MsIs above that the only thing casting have really done wrong is telling us we will hear in a short time (3 weeks) and then not get back to us for much longer. Communication wasn't great but I do appreciate how much work they have to do and it really can't be easy. They probably also shouldn't have told us at our recall that we'd probably get a place in a Paralympic ceremony if we didn't get Olympics, as it now feels more disappointing that that hasn't happened. But at that point they hadn't done all the Paralympic auditions and probably had a bigger response than they anticipated and so ended up not having enough places. Unless I was just really terrible in my audition and they didn't want me (that could certainly be true)!

Anyway lots of luck to all those still waiting to hear, I hope you get good news soon! x
To confirm - yes they got 'nos' after a recall. One was in my recall, the other in a seemingly identical recall (same routine) the next afternoon. Although I haven't seen the emails they received - they may have interpreted the reserve email as a no - but I doubt it, as they were really keen and would have definitely hung in as reserves.
Original post by Cazzaraz
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's disappointing but I'm not going to completely give up hope, although I think I may start to plan a few things for the odd weekend so I don't have a completely empty summer up until 27 July (after that I will be focused on watching/soaking up the atmosphere of the Olympics and Paralympics!) - but probably nothing that can't be cancelled in case I do get the call-up.

A good ploy in the circs. I agree !

................ at that point they hadn't done all the Paralympic auditions and probably had a bigger response than they anticipated and so ended up not having enough places. Unless I was just really terrible in my audition and they didn't want me (that could certainly be true)!

....... in which case you would have had an outright "no" response by now surely (you probably weren't that bad so please don't torture yourself thinking that you might have been) - keep thinking as positively as you can about all this (not always easy I know)!
Nope, sorry, don't buy that argument really - if they made it clear we were given dates just to help with out planning but on the basis that this did not guarantee we would be neede on that date, should not upset you any more than being told you are on the reserve list in the first place. They would only need to have given compulsory dates and the segment role category (i.e. dancing/acting/drumming) and not necessarily the segment number but it would have done no harm to include that as well for ease of reference on each party's part later maybe. No need for location details either just am/pm/eve and start/end times maybe.

If they were at all unsure which segment then they could say to those reserves. We accept that you auditioned specifically as a drummer/actor/dancer but our creative decisions have yet to be finalised and we may therefore eventually use you in a utility or more general role in the field of play rather than as something so specific after all. For this reason we are not yet able to give you any rehearsal dates but hope to be in a decision to do so no later than end of April 2012 and will contact you again by way of an update then so need to worry unduly about dates in the meantime as it is unlikely you would be called for rehearsals before then and we will try to give you reasonable notice if we do need you to fill a vacant slot somewhere anyway. Thank you for your patience meantime.

Anything like the above suggestions I've made would have helped me to plan better in comparison to how it has been handled anyway. It would also have given me concrete re-assurance that being placed on reserve was not an outright "no" at this tage and that there was indeed a chance that I could still be required somewhere. This has so far been denied me and I don't mind admitting publicly that I feel more frustrated than I might otherwise have felt at this stage in the process. (which you've probably detected by now). My previous goodwill is fading the longer they leave it to give me some provisional dates let along an offer and an indication as to what they might need me to do.

It's not too late for them though if the segment(s) I am being considered for, particularly the drumming as someone here on TSR has already reminded me, has/have not even started rehearsing yet. I still have availability, quite a lot in fact (I'm not one of these super busy people who needs to be booked 6 months' in advance if you want me to do something and will always try to fit you in if the desire's there to do it in the first place) - this year is a wee bit different in that I won't definitately agree to something else pre. 27th July that I can't subsequently get myself out of without feeling guilty about letting someone else down, whilst I am kept waiting indefinitely it seems for what I would really prefer to do at the moment which, of course, is take part in the Opening Ceremony in some way if I possibly can.

If it turns out I am not actually available when they want me then, even after all this time, I would have to say "that's just too bad" , decline the offer and move on to other projects and interests. It's not the be all and end all by any means, however disappointing not eventually being called up would actually be given my initial basic desire to take part, hence the reason I auditioned in the first place.

I thought I had what was needed (or could learn whatever else was required at numerous rehearsals) and therefore had something tangible to offer them, I also had the time availability (from Nov/Dec/Jan onwards) to actually be able to commit to doing it and, despite since being made redundant in January have been fortunate enough to find another job for now, one which being P/T is o.k. and flexible enough to allow me to change my working plans to accommodate rehearsals if needs be and, finally, I have the wherewithall to actually find the rehearsal venue (in all weathers) combined with the stamina to travel from SE/SW London or wherever to get there.

In other words the whole package they presumably need for certain roles and yet still I have no definite offer from them even though they "enjoyed my work" apparently.

As for knowing which dates to give reserves as an interim measure/response I say again that if they are experienced at planning events such as these (as they are supposed to be and I would have to agree they probably are which i why they are in the casting team and not volunteering to take part like we are) they will, by now, know exactly which segment(s) each reserve is being considered for and they need only give the compulsory dates for that/those segment(s) at this stage and an indication as to what sort of time we will be required on those dates and for approx. how long in a NE London venue somewhere (without actually saying where that venue is).

However, what do I know about it eh?

with all due respect, we don't know what they were looking for. Yes, you have a lot to offer, but a number of other professionals, also, did not get a straight out yes. You have heard that people got outright no's, you are not one of them, so you know a deserve is not necessarily a no.

And, if you aren't too busy and don't have plans, what difference is it whether you have the dates or not?

I am slightly perturbed by the fact that you feel casting are incomeptent and that the whole thing is likely to fail without your participation :frown: I feel this is not the correct attitude to have. The team are experienced, and know what they are doing.

I feel you need to slightly more positive than wallow. You can't change what has happened, and we all feel for your plight and your wait, but what good are you doing yourself by getting stressed out and seemily sniping at the crew and successful volunteers out of bitterness?

If casting are reading this, I must say that at this point they possibly would not be too enamoured with you and think 'she must be cast'.

We know from your previous posts that you are excited excited by the Olympics, please try and keep a hold of that spirit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pinnerite
Yes Lara5 that audition does seem to have been jinxed somewhat - perhaps they have decided they did not need as many hiphoppers as they thought - I am sure it is no reflection on your ability but you may have suffered through having one of the last recalls perhaps.

Yep, that's the most plausible explanation I can come up with as well, unlike my November drumming audition when they clearly did not have enough people they wanted to cast (or just enough of the right type/height/gender) for them to need to canvass for yet more applications, particularly from men in February.

I wonder if there are any more props/staging-type jobs available for you reserves - perhaps timefortea would know. That certainly seems to be a role with plenty of involvement with rehearsals and the ceremonies themselves.

I think the applications for props closed some time ago (but I might be wrong so always worth checking if that interests you still I guess).
Original post by Aber_Stokie
I got the dreaded reserve email on Sunday, too....

Oddly enough, I was about to log on to ponder whether we 22nd-ers were being held back for reserve positions when I got my email. It was the mention of the NHS that got me thinking that. Perhaps they expected a few drop-outs from that segment due to shifts, etc. and auditioned that group in the knowledge that the vast majority would be reserves.

Always a possibility ....... and we live in hope of that being so I guess
Original post by decepticon87
Omg I am the EXACT same boat as you. My recall was the 18th though but similar to you I do completely different styles of dance to the one that was in the recall audition. I also struggled. I have not heard either. Just checked the old inbox then – still nothing. Here's hoping we hear something this week! Xx

Me 3!! I did the 18th Feb recall and it was exactly the same. I'm a dancer but I wouldn't say I was great at what we did during the recall.

Still waiting, after another London 2012 shop email.... aghhh!

Congratulations again to those who got in and fingers crossed for those still waiting :wink: x
Original post by timefortea
Absolutely- I feel very very very fortunate and lucky to be part of it through the Props team! And we've already been given a sneak preview of the ceremonies- they are more spectacular and breathtaking than I could possibly have imagined! Start our sessions this week! Hurrah!

Hi TimeforTea, I've been accepted on the props team too! Got my 'meet an greet' tomorrow evening, and just waiting for my health and safety day to be confirmed then its all systems go!!!! xxxx
Reply 6690
Original post by adelie27

With regard to the comments about getting rained on in the ceremonies we may well be standing by with umbrellas for you !

QUOTE]

Can you add a steaming mug of hot chocolate (Cadburys of course) with marshmallows to the umbrella please Adelie27 :biggrin:
Reply 6691
Original post by hanzipops1
Still waiting, after another London 2012 shop email.... aghhh!

Is this the same shop email I have received, beseeching me to buy "Travel Essentials"?

This email lists 67 items such as:-

Olympic Museum Passport Holder
Microbead neck pillow - Union Jack Blue
Team GB Car Cup
Team GB chill and fill lunch bag
London 2012 Toiletry Bag

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm not sure how 'essential' these items really are.

Sorry to go off topic - just had to share.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6692

I agree that until we are allocated to a specific ceremony reserves are not yet properly "part of it" but I have to disagree strongly that we do not need to know about any key dates whilst we wait for a definite offer or, alternatively, an eventual outright rejection, the worst of the two possible outcomes. Keeping us completely in the dark about dates, even when we can expect an update rather than anything more detailed than that is, at worst, testing how desperate we are to take part and at best making us more anxious about the whole thing and not as enthusiastic as we should be by now.

The only key dates anyone needs to know are the Ceremony dates, starting on the 27th July. Obviously booking trips away in the weeks leading up to that are not advisable. When we signed up for this process last August, it was made clear, again and again, that as volunteers we would have to basically give up our summer as a commitment to the process. Obviously this is a lot harder for Reserves, but that's not going to change.

They've been through a set of auditions to whittle down thousands of applicants, and they've picked a bunch of people to take part, and a number of reserves to use as and when, and probably discarded who knows how many!

This isn't some personal test to see how desperate you are to take part, no matter how good you think you are how or how much you think they've got it wrong in not picking you.

Until you get the email, you're not going to know, and I know that sucks big time! But ranting on about it over and over on TSR it isn't going to help or make it change.
Reply 6693

In other words the whole package they presumably need for certain roles and yet still I have no definite offer from them even though they "enjoyed my work" apparently.

I think the difficulty is that at the end of the day there are not enough places for everyone who wants to be involved.

I'd def not withdraw from the reserve list if it was me - but I wouldn't put life on hold either. Sounds like a good plan to go and focus most on the things you can be doing than on things you can't control.

My other half is a reserve and has started an art course so that we're both learning new things whilst I'm rehearsing. They'll be delighted if called up but is realistic in that lets face it not that many people are going to drop out - everyone is mad keen to be involved and wanted it just as much as anyone else.

In the meantime I've suggest maybe directing your ideas to the casting people themselves, if you haven't already? Best of luck !!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6694
However, what do I know about it eh?

Er, not very much, probably!

I may have loads of opinions and assumptions about the whole process, and it's fun to share them, but most of us haven't a clue how these processes work. In the end, we'll only know if they work by judging the final ceremonies - and I've got a sneaking feeling they'll be just fine...

As with any big showbiz casting & rehearsal, there will be plenty of disappointed people along the way, but that's showbiz!
When I started this latest string of comments, about still being a reserve, my principal reason for doing so was not to complain about being placed "on reserve" in the first place nor to "snipe" at any particular TSR member(s) for being cast ahead of me but to convey my frustration that now 5 plus months after our 2nd audition some of us still don't have any idea (a) if we will be cast at all (b) what we are likely to be doing (i.e. one of the many roles we've read here on TSR about) (c) when we are likely to hear any more and (d) if required, what at least our compulsory rehearsal dates would be.

I am fully aware (and accept) that being placed on reserve is by no means a definite "no" (this has, however, only been confirmed recently through others' posts on here and this is why I personally continue to cling on to some hope of eventually being cast, particularly as I've quoted on here so many times now they (supposedly) "enjoyed my work". These facts combine to confirm to me that I have something to offer them somewhere in this process.

As for how busy/not busy I am right now otherwise ......... Yes, I could be busier but have elected not to commit myself elsewhere (basically giving casting first call on my time up to 27th July save for existing commitments I could not reall get out of now without letting to many other people down). I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect them to make their minds up one way or t'other regarding ALL the reserves sooner rather than later.

As for casting reading my posts on here and not being "too enamoured" with what I've been saying recently - well, if you believe they have time to read this (or actually care who's said it with consequences following) then what does that say about you? I don't personally think that and so am not overly worried by what they see here attributable to me and feel free to continually speak openly on such matters as constructively as I possibly can in the interim.

It's in our home town, why shouldn't we be excited about it all, whether taking part as volunteers in ceremonies or otherwise?

Anyway, I think we've probably exhausted this now so I for one am going to log off and do something else that I can have a degree of control and chance to decide over. Only time will tell how this all pans out for the reserves.

Good luck with your own rehearsals meantime.

I choose not to respond to the swipe of 'what does that say about you?' as it was clearly intended as an insult.

We have been here to support you and all you seem to be doing is insinuating that casting are stupid, have made the wrong decisions and the wrong people were cast ahead of you. So, we don't deserve our places? You are also insinuating that due to your lack of involvement it will be a shambles, I can assure you, this is not the case. Had you been cast, you will, no doubt, be praising casting

I have bit my tongue, but 'we enjoyed your work' is possibly just a polite phrase they've been throwing around. We are pretty much all just number, i doubt next to anyones name/number there are notes saying, 'i liked her Lindy hop, but, no, reserve. But must tell her her Lindy hop was fabulous'

Bitterness and jealousy are going to eventually mean you make enemies of people on a great spirited community who are here to spur you on and help you.

I am sorry if anyone thinks this post is mean, but you are being fairly awful to a number of people on here.

And we know you were lovely at the meet up and that you are just frustrated, but is it really necessary to swipe at us because we were lucky?

I'm so sorry everyone.
Reply 6696
Re: Did anyone else get an audition for the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony?
Originally Posted by Aber_Stokie
I got the dreaded reserve email on Sunday, too....

Oddly enough, I was about to log on to ponder whether we 22nd-ers were being held back for reserve positions when I got my email. It was the mention of the NHS that got me thinking that. Perhaps they expected a few drop-outs from that segment due to shifts, etc. and auditioned that group in the knowledge that the vast majority would be reserves.
Always a possibility ....... and we live in hope of that being so I guess

Can I just state that the NHS, and my Trust definitely, are actively encouraging members of staff who have applied and been successful to take and play their part in the ceremonies. It is a fantastic showcase to highlight the NHS in, as Danny Boyle has said, and managers have been asked to accommodate staff leave/time off for those involved in the games where possible. NHS staff are also contributing to medical care at the games, especially physios who will be (lucky them) hands on with the athletes.
Original post by RocKeRG
The only key dates anyone needs to know are the Ceremony dates, starting on the 27th July. Obviously booking trips away in the weeks leading up to that are not advisable. When we signed up for this process last August, it was made clear, again and again, that as volunteers we would have to basically give up our summer as a commitment to the process. Obviously this is a lot harder for Reserves, but that's not going to change.

They've been through a set of auditions to whittle down thousands of applicants, and they've picked a bunch of people to take part, and a number of reserves to use as and when, and probably discarded who knows how many!

This isn't some personal test to see how desperate you are to take part, no matter how good you think you are how or how much you think they've got it wrong in not picking you.

Until you get the email, you're not going to know, and I know that sucks big time! But ranting on about it over and over on TSR it isn't going to help or make it change.

I love this post rockerg. Very well put.
Reply 6698
Original post by fyrecracker
Hi TimeforTea, I've been accepted on the props team too! Got my 'meet an greet' tomorrow evening, and just waiting for my health and safety day to be confirmed then its all systems go!!!! xxxx

Very well done Fyrecracker - great news.
Can we all take a deep breath, not write for a second, and instead remember the fun we all had doing the coffee-teethbrushing-oystercard-routine at the audition? :smile:

It's extremely remarkable for a forum thread to only have its first argument on page 330+, and I trust it won't take much effort to keep the next 300+ pages equally free from any NMA (as opposed to PMA).

Speaking of NMA, no news from John Lewis...

Latest