The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ginger-snap
Update the spreadsheet!!!! I had my first rehearsal as an understudy today, and have now already been promoted to FULL CAST MEMBER!!! I can't believe it. I actually almost started crying as I left the rehearsal, it seems so unreal after months hanging on as a reserve, convinced it was never going to happen, then suddenly understudy to now finally be a fully fledged member of the cast in the space of a few days.

There were at least 4 other new understudies at my rehearsal who, like me, had been called on Wednesday. All 4 of us have now been given full roles, so the drop-out rate is quite significant, and more people will be needing drafted in. However, it seemed less so for the men, as some had been understudies from the start but still didn't have a place.

Was also amused to meet some people who said they follow our discussion thread here, but didn't actually contribute, so there are many more who follow us, even if they don't actually post.

That is actually brilliant news...I think you are probably the first understudy to be offered a full casting role. Well done you:rave:
Reply 7781
Original post by cinnamon
Cant you do both?
I know we have some people on here doing a props role and are in the ceremonies too.
I would ask your contact at staging if you can do both, and let them know when your rehearsals are.
Good luck

Really? I might just do that and see what happens. Thanks!
Original post by Essex Girl
Daughter at her first rehearsal as we speak. She called from the queue to say "Mum there are a lot of oldies here"!! I asked her if she meant older than me and she said yes!!
Rather strange as she is a dancer and was under the impression hers was a dance segment for the closing ceremony. I told her that there may be more than one segment being rehearsed
tonight.

EG

Well lots of oldies in 44A were rehearsing tonight and it was also the first rehearsal for actors in the closing ceremony too!
:bumps::congrats::dancing2:Great news wizzbangking, helenb84 and Ickle! Very well done all of you!
Original post by Pinnerite
We have tonight received all the details about our trip to 1:1. we are all encouraged to go by public transport - there will be shuttle buses from Dagenham East. Cars will only be permitted to park if there are at least 3 in a car. We all went into separate groups tonight at one stage depending on where we lived so there was an opportunity to discuss car sharing and there was a board up that people could sign up on. Note that we are expected to be at the 1:1 by our rehearsal time so have to get to Dagenham East about 15 minutes before our scheduled times.

Interesting........e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y--i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g. I drove to the 1:1 venue on Sunday and it looks to me that apart from the site itself (the blue / gold tents kinda freaked me out when I saw them. There's something a bit errie about them :eek:), from driving there "may" be parking available in the residential streets not too far away. I most definitely will be considering driving out there anyway because in situations where the rehearsals finish in the evening, I don't fancy travelling all that way back on public transport. It's long enough travelling to where the rehearsals are now, never mind travelling further East. I'm hoping that they have a similar car sharing scheme for my Segment when the time comes.
Original post by Flakeydom
Panoramic pic from the stadium

And one another from my seat - note the plethora of wires above; I believe those are the ones from Rafiki's articles that can support those 34 double-deckers.

stadium.jpg

Thanks for sharing Flakeydom- the stadium looks great , I only got a couple of pics from the outside:smile:
Original post by Sambalaz
Yay, Just got my offer....Paralympic Opening AND closing :smile: At last!!.It's been a long wait since I Auditioned on 22Feb. I'm in 90b :smile:

Congratulations :smile:
Original post by galactica2009
Yay! Many congrats! Well Done to you. Am still waiting for paralympic auditions:smile:. I am sure i will get positive roles

Thats the spirit! not too long galactica and you will smile too:smile:
Original post by twilightz
Thats the spirit! not too long galactica and you will smile too:smile:

Thank you Comrade:smile:
Original post by Ickle
Really? I might just do that and see what happens. Thanks!

Absolutely- speak to the Staging team and see what they say. I wasn't allowed to do Props and Olympic Opening Ceremony Understudy (which I totally understand due to the considerable time commitments for both and likely many clashes so remained with the lovely team with Props) but with the Paras it may be different? I know of a couple doing both Props and Paras Opening... definately worth asking!! Good luck!!
Original post by Ickle
Hello everyone.

I've been absent for a while but returned after some recent news and am in need of some thoughts/opinions if you wouldn't mind.

I received an offer today for a performance role at the Paralympic Opening Ceremony (Segment 87 Group A). However, I had accepted a role in staging a while ago after waiting for so long.

What would you guys do? I'm not sure what staging involves exactly but don't want to kick myself for turning down a once in a lifetime role performing. I'm sure both roles are just as amazing but not sure what to do. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Give them a ring. Ive been cast in 87A, and got props and staging too ... they said it wasnt a problem,

xx
Reply 7791
Original post by maclondon
I just pulled my calf muscle playing touch rugby, so I'm glad I've nearly 4 weeks til my next rehearsal as i'll be limping/nursing this for a week.

TSR curse - be careful out there!!:wink:
Reply 7792
Original post by helenb84
Hi All,

I received an offer today, Paralympic Opening Ceremony 87 - Group B.
So excited! Is anyone else in this group?

BlaEm and elegats I ws in the same recall as you!

Someone mentioned a few pages that there wasa hostel near by, I will prob be looking for somewhere like that to stay for at least some of the rehearsals and the performance as i will be travelling from Lancashire.

Congratulations to all others that have recieved offers!!

Huge congratulations to you.

Original post by Ickle
Hello everyone.

I've been absent for a while but returned after some recent news and am in need of some thoughts/opinions if you wouldn't mind.

I received an offer today for a performance role at the Paralympic Opening Ceremony (Segment 87 Group A). However, I had accepted a role in staging a while ago after waiting for so long.

What would you guys do? I'm not sure what staging involves exactly but don't want to kick myself for turning down a once in a lifetime role performing. I'm sure both roles are just as amazing but not sure what to do. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Brilliant news - as said elsewhere phone them to see if you can do both. Would be a shame to miss out if you don't have to. :smile:

Original post by twilightz
Hi Mandy hope you had a lovely weekend and you didn't drink too much:biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin: (don't forget to bring my drink on sat!:dance:)

Where are you Mandy?? Still celebrating???
(edited 11 years ago)
Must start getting up earlier to read the late news from overnight!

791.jpg
Ohh I've missed a flurry of activity!

Congratulations everyone :biggrin:

Tiny D's first rehearsal not until the end of the month - she's so excited to see "the vision" for her segment.

Fortunately there's lots to occupy her - public speaking national final on Saturday, and GCSE exams start in earnest on Monday. :work:
Reply 7795
Well done to everyone with new roles! Huge congratulations! Hopefully us Reserves left hanging will be put out of our misery soon too. Today may be THE day! (Positive thinking and all that..)
Reply 7796
[QUOTE="twilightz;37458858"]congratulations sukied00 great news after the long wait:smile:[/QUOTE

Thanks so much, my recall audition was 19th November so hang in there everyone as there is hope for all you deserves yet!
Original post by Dancer321
I got offered a place in the Paralympics opening Ceremony today in the 98-WHIRL section , dancing role!
So pleased to finally have an answer & a positive one at that! :smile:

congratulations to every one else! :smile:

Congratulations to you Dancer321:smile:
Original post by OneAndOnlyEmmaW
i just got my offer too!!!!!
98-whirl - dance and movement role in para opening

issue though: i have booked a holiday with my parents so i actually miss the ceremony, as we couldnt put life on hold while we waited to hear, now need to choose, and poss cost my parents a lot of money :frown:

so confused and emotional, was kind of hoping for understudy in olympics

Congratulations Emma- and think wisely b/f you decide. Check if your parents can change dates(cost effectively of course) if not call casting and explain. They are making lots of offers - maybe they can put you into a different segment ie closing. You could also mention understudy- you never know, lots of people are droping out for one reason or another.:smile:
Original post by Pinnerite
Very strange that you were allowed to take in normal sized full water bottles at all the London Prepares events including the opening on Saturday. I wonder if one could take in10x 100 ml bottles of water according to their rules:biggrin::biggrin:

Hi Pinnerite- I was there on Friday and had 5 bottles of 500ml of water with me .
Nobody said anything but it might as well be randomly checked.
Lots of cars in front of me passed and none got stopped, then we got stopped and swiped.
But then again, this was the test events so we don't know whats gonna be for the main olympics .

Latest