Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    With Valientines Day coming up, i want to ask you guys this. Is it possible that you will marry your first love? As some of you will know, i have fallen in love with my girlfriend in America. we fell in love over MSN. I would love to meet her and marry her one day, but i'm not sure it will ever happen.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    With Valientines Day coming up, i want to ask you guys this. Is it possible that you will marry your first love? As some of you will know, i have fallen in love with my girlfriend in America. we fell in love over MSN. I would love to meet her and marry her one day, but i'm not sure it will ever happen.

What do you guys think?
    I think that is really really sweet and romantic, i remember having this sort of conversation with you before about you meeting up with her etc, hows it all going anyway? Do you talk every night?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to marry my first love. yay.

ReputationRep:
    Who knows? It depends on the circumstances. I'm very sceptical of internet relationships though, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    I think that is really really sweet and romantic, i remember having this sort of conversation with you before about you meeting up with her etc, hows it all going anyway? Do you talk every night?
    well i can't talk to her so much now (MSN has f**ked up on me), but i email her all the time. And i'm planning a speical email for Valentines Day.

ReputationRep:
    I had an internet love. Thought we was gunna get married etc. In fact ive had a few. My first one...oh my gosh he was lovely, lived in America, we used to talk for hours and hours. Then one day, he just disappeared. Never heard from him again, not even a goodbye or anything like that, he was just gone. I still tyhink bout him now and again. Then there was one from wales who i still talk to and we swore we wud meet up, be together etc, but we jus drifted apart.

But if it works, all due respect to you, just keep it going and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Two of my "internet friends" happened to meet each other online (weird..) and they met up and have been going out together for 3 years and are getting married in the summer. They did only live 1/2 hour away from each other and romanced in the usual way - the internet just facilitated it. It's funny to think my internet buddies who I knew before the knew each other are getting married now. They are SUCH lovely people and I'm going to go to their wedding. Hehe.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend wants us to get married after I finnish uni, which I think is fair enough. She is my first real gf I guess of the serious nature so guess so. Got another 3 years to go yet though... Its a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    My girlfriend wants us to get married after I finnish uni, which I think is fair enough. She is my first real gf I guess of the serious nature so guess so. Got another 3 years to go yet though... Its a long time.
    i know what you mean. My girlfriend wanted to meet up with me as soon as she finished High School. But i told her that i wanted her to finish her education, as did her parents. So i will have to wait a few more years for her to finish College and Uni.

ReputationRep:
    But what if after all this waiting and waiting it doesn't work out? People are different in "real" life you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I'm going to marry my first love. yay.
    lucky you!!!
    i definately won't be....but i've got somebody a thousand times times better now and would marry him today if i could!!!

ReputationRep:
    A people say "youngsters" don't want to settle down "these days".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    But what if after all this waiting and waiting it doesn't work out? People are different in "real" life you know.
    i know how different people can be. But if they are for real, then it will be worth the wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    I had an internet love. Thought we was gunna get married etc. In fact ive had a few. My first one...oh my gosh he was lovely, lived in America, we used to talk for hours and hours. Then one day, he just disappeared. Never heard from him again, not even a goodbye or anything like that, he was just gone. I still tyhink bout him now and again. Then there was one from wales who i still talk to and we swore we wud meet up, be together etc, but we jus drifted apart.

But if it works, all due respect to you, just keep it going and good luck!
    Yeah, I've been there, done that too. There was about a 6 month phase at the end of L6th/beginning of U6th, when all my friends suddenly started getting serious boyfriends and losing their virginities, and there was a little "club" of about 8 of them who were all on the Pill and would all trot off together in a very not-so-secretive group to take it at 6pm each day. So I was kinda left out of that and generally feeling bad/nobody's ever going to love me type stuff.

I made friends with this guy from my old messageboards; as time went by we both realised that we were in similar situations (no confidence except in the fact that we were both going to die virgins, and we both had the stupid idealised version of love) and gradually somehow "fell" for each other. We'd talk for hours and hours, and there was talk of getting married and all that, although obviously all after I finished at Cambridge. This was January, he was taking his driving test in April and was going to come and see me as soon as he could, to see how things went (he lived in Scotland, I live in Shropshire). However, fortunately as far as I was concerned, I went away for a couple of weeks, was completely without internet, without any kind of communication, and I had time to myself, as well as being with the few people in the school who understood me.

I realised that the only reason I was "with" him was because I wanted to be with somebody and that we weren't actually compatible at all. When I got back, I told him, although it was hard, as I still cared about him as a person and didn't want to hurt him. He took it very badly and we fell out for a long time, but we made up eventually and have been friends since. We did meet once and it was alright, but confirmed all my suspicions that we weren't right for each other.

This and various other observations has made me very sceptical of internet relationships. Neither of us was trying to deceive the other, but neither of us could see for a long time that it would never have worked in real life.

ReputationRep:
    IF it works out then great. I couldn't live my life in the conditional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i know what you mean. My girlfriend wanted to meet up with me as soon as she finished High School. But i told her that i wanted her to finish her education, as did her parents. So i will have to wait a few more years for her to finish College and Uni.
    Hmm, I do live with my girlfriend though. It is very serious, am I right in thinking you have never met your girlfriend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yeah, I've been there, done that too. There was about a 6 month phase at the end of L6th/beginning of U6th, when all my friends suddenly started getting serious boyfriends and losing their virginities, and there was a little "club" of about 8 of them who were all on the Pill and would all trot off together in a very not-so-secretive group to take it at 6pm each day. So I was kinda left out of that and generally feeling bad/nobody's ever going to love me type stuff.

I made friends with this guy from my old messageboards; as time went by we both realised that we were in similar situations (no confidence except in the fact that we were both going to die virgins, and we both had the stupid idealised version of love) and gradually somehow "fell" for each other. We'd talk for hours and hours, and there was talk of getting married and all that, although obviously all after I finished at Cambridge. This was January, he was taking his driving test in April and was going to come and see me as soon as he could, to see how things went (he lived in Scotland, I live in Shropshire). However, fortunately as far as I was concerned, I went away for a couple of weeks, was completely without internet, without any kind of communication, and I had time to myself, as well as being with the few people in the school who understood me.

I realised that the only reason I was "with" him was because I wanted to be with somebody and that we weren't actually compatible at all. When I got back, I told him, although it was hard, as I still cared about him as a person and didn't want to hurt him. He took it very badly and we fell out for a long time, but we made up eventually and have been friends since. We did meet once and it was alright, but confirmed all my suspicions that we weren't right for each other.

This and various other observations has made me very sceptical of internet relationships. Neither of us was trying to deceive the other, but neither of us could see for a long time that it would never have worked in real life.
    wow, you really know your stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Hmm, I do live with my girlfriend though. It is very serious, am I right in thinking you have never met your girlfriend?
    uh huh. we've talked on MSN, through web-cam convos (so i know she aint a pedo). I've known her since we were both 14.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I had lived together for 2 1/2years before I came up to Cambridge. I think living together is a very important part of a relationship - nothing quite compares with it in terms of deciding if you truely love each other. So, having not met must be really difficult as well because physical proximity is an important part of a loving relationship (cuddles, kisses, watching a video). If you can live with the uncertainty of the relationship for a number of years then you are a very determined person, but in my opinion it isn't wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    uh huh. we've talked on MSN, through web-cam convos (so i know she aint a pedo). I've known her since we were both 14.
    Yeh I wasnt suggesting that, i'm just saying dont pin your hopes on this girl until you actually spend real time with her. Just be careful, or you'll get hurt.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.