Can my school force me to drop a subject? Watch

batmanspineapples
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have just started doing my A2 year, having finished A2 Computing last year and got an A (We did AS as a GCSE option), I am currently doing 4 A2s and have been predicted ABBB for these. The highest entry uni I am applying to is Birmingham and I only need AB in two of these subjects.

However my school are trying to make me drop a subject (most likely Further Maths) and have told me I have to tell them which subject I am dropping on Monday morning, but my maths teachers have no problem with me doing maths and further maths at A2.

So can my head teachers actually make force me to drop a subject, or can they only pressure me until I give in?
denislaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
as 6th form is not compulsory education I should think they can do what they want up to and including inviting you to leave if you don't comply.
ily_em
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure. But you'd have a nicer year if you did give up one - you don't need another one, especially as you have an A2 alrady - it won't hinder your uni applications to have 'only' three. If not further maths, what others could you drop?
forestfruits
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why is it that they are amking you drop it? is it because it doesnt fit with the timetable or because you want to have one extra than everyone else?
at my school most people do 3, maybe 4 A levels (4, maybe 5 AS) AND further maths counts for the people who do it as part of the single maths A level. the only reason we wouldnt do that is because of a recommendation from a specific subject teacher or if it somehow didnt fit in wiht the timetable.
Tpos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm being made to drop a subject I want to carry on with but I got the lowest grade in. The other alternative is do all 4 - they won't let me drop another one in it's place! grrr

Yeah, they can make you drop it... :/
batmanspineapples
Rep:
?
my school are trying to make anyone that didn't get at least AAAB in their AS levels drop a subject, but on the first day back they gave out a form that said "students may only take 4 subjects in exceptional circumstances or if they are doing further maths" but they seem to have gone back on this now...

Also, last year, we were only allowed to do it as an extra option but it is now in its own option block, and somebody told my friend that wants to do it instead of physics (as she got a better grade in physics but she hates it) that further maths is only half an a level and unis don't accept it..
batmanspineapples
Rep:
?
And Tpos, they made some of my friends do that too :')
Cat1000
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That’s not true ... there is a lot of fact finding needed here ... also yes 6th form is now compulsory
ella1902
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Cat1000)
That’s not true ... there is a lot of fact finding needed here ... also yes 6th form is now compulsory
This is from 8 ****ing years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (114)
51.58%
No (107)
48.42%

Watched Threads