Emerald
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 15 years ago
well my english teacher left last year and gave us alll his email address so i kinda keep in touch with him when i can be bothered to email :rolleyes: but i definitely agfree with ^ as it does depend on the individual situation.
littlemissalex
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 15 years ago
yep i think, if i did still keep in touch, id call them sir/miss.. i dont think i could ever call them by their first names because its almost like i dont have any repsect for them anymore. Although if they asked me to call them by their first name (our art teacher at school, because she's young, likes people calling her by her first name) then maybe i would, but id still be reluctant to. What about evryone else?
Emerald
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
well it depends on the teacher. like last year to celebrate the end of term i went to the pub with my teachers and all the male ones were like no dont call us sir or Mr whatever call us _________ so it just depends on the teach
sexysax
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by alexandra)
yep i think, if i did still keep in touch, id call them sir/miss.. i dont think i could ever call them by their first names because its almost like i dont have any repsect for them anymore. Although if they asked me to call them by their first name (our art teacher at school, because she's young, likes people calling her by her first name) then maybe i would, but id still be reluctant to. What about evryone else?
I thought it would be weird to call them by their first name, but when the school reopened the term after I left, I went in and they said that I could call them by their first names. Those 2 teachers were more like friends anyway so its ok now.
elvliz
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by sexysax)
I thought it would be weird to call them by their first name, but when the school reopened the term after I left, I went in and they said that I could call them by their first names. Those 2 teachers were more like friends anyway so its ok now.
that's really nice, i think ^ shows it just depends on the individuals involved.
Kura1984
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by alexandra)
i dont think its *wrong* to stay in touch with teachers by email or actually meeting up with them outside school. It depends on the 2 individuals mostly cause its different in every circumstance. Personally i would love to stay in touch with a couple of my teachers but i dont want to seem like i was imposing myself on them.. or forcing them to reply.. Guess ill see soon enough
Yep, same here. I would love to write a card or a letter to a couple of my ex-teachers but I don't want to be percieved as the same pushy teenager I used to be. Oh well, I might be moving 200 miles away soon so I might as well.

BTW, very glad I saw this thread. I'm really sick of having the piss taken out of me because I actually said that I respected my teachers at school! I'm not a nerd after all!
MissSurfer
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
Yeh I feel like I want to keep in touch with some teachers when I leave, and also I wish I'd kept in touch with past teachers too. For example, my year 6 teacher had a really big effect on me - taught me loads so I had a head start in secondary school and gave me ambition, I wish I could get in touch with her but she's left that school now.

I don't think I'd just be able to say to a teacher though 'btw can I have your email address to keep in touch?'...it'd feel wierd.

When I got into 6th form, one of my teachers (who I've had since year 7) said we could call her by her first name if we wanted to - none of us do because it feels so odd, like we don't respect her anymore!

MissSurfer
Xx Tomásíona - Mháire xX
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elvliz)
what rae your views on teachers keeping in contact with old pupils?

It seems to me like if a particular teacher has influenced a pupil they should keep in contact.

I ask cos i'm leaving school this year and there is a particular teacher i want to stay in contact with because she's influenced and helped me a lot
I plan to keep in touch with one of my english teachers and sociology teachers. They are the only ones who thought I could do something and thought I could actually do well at AS level and progress onto A2. I know for a fact an awful lot of sociology students keep into touch with my teacher and he says it shows an awful lot of respect to do that as they still look towards him as a teacher not just another person since they left school. They come in all the time and interrupt my classes :p:
Chester
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
To you guys who have kept in touch... did you ask them? And if so how?
sexysax
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chester)
To you guys who have kept in touch... did you ask them? And if so how?
I had their numbers through doing musical events and needing them, and their addresses etc because I needed to get to their houses on occasions etc.
lufiaguy
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
My old music teacher moved to Bahrain at Christmas. She keeps in touch with myself and other people in my group by e-mail (she loved us, lol).
an Siarach
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
There were several who sincerely invited me to drop by every now and again and whom i sincerely intended to keep in touch with but drifting apart is easy enough with friends, let alone teachers with whom you were briefly on fairly good terms with.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
I'm still in touch with two of my teachers, one on a very regular basis and one just from time to time. The former I am in touch with through letters, email and phone (although I could never phone his house or workplace cos that would be weird), we have met up once or twice since I left school and I now call him by his first name. The latter I am just in touch with from time to time via her work email, and I call her by her first name too.
I was in touch with another teacher for about two years after she left my school, by letter mostly as she was a bit of a technological philistine who didn't like the internet or telephones, and we were in touch for about two years. It just fizzled out in the end - I think she had been away from the school for too long, we never saw each other and I grew up a lot. Sad in a way that we're no longer in touch but at the time she was a great support to me and so our keeping in touch served its purpose at the time.
So yes, I do think it's OK, although it is fraught with issues such as: teachers aren't meant to have favourites, yet they can't keep in touch with everyone and thus treat everyone the same, so it's a bit of a catch-22.
Teachers and students are all human with the potential for friendship, so I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with it.
As for how I approached the issue...in the case of the teacher that I was in touch with for two years, we were quite close (by her admission as much as mine) and so she didn't mind giving me her address so that we could write. With my male ex-teacher that I'm currently in touch with, I had his email address from when I applied to Oxford in 2003, so that when I got the result in the Christmas hols I could email and tell him. If you don't have contact details for them already when you broach the subject, just ask 'can we keep in touch' and if they say yes, it's best to ask THEM how they'd prefer to do it.
XxJaninexX
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
I keep in touch with my year 6 teacher. We write letters and stuff (shes rubbish with computers) and we send gifts and stuff and about twice a year i go hers or she comes mine. Its nice.
PaigeMarshall
Report 15 years ago
ah!! freaking hell!! Thank god I found this thread!

I got out of school almost a year ago and I wanted to keep in touch with this one teacher but...BUT...I don't want to sound pushy or anything like that.
The deal is I had a crush on him...and I was already 18 so I told him a week before I graduated. He said no and all that stuff, which I believe is very professional of him but still..he told me that it was ok to keep in touch and all that but I dont think he's the kind of person who would agree to go out for coffee and let me call him by the first name.

Im so bothered by this. I dont really think Im a threat to him but people here in the US are just too dramatic.

ah..well I just needed to get that fing out.
Spunky
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
I'm a little ashamed that I haven't gone back and visited my old teachers yet, I really want to but haven't had time. I'm making time this Easter though to go back and see how they're doing and say thanks, et cetera .
Shakespeare1
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
im in yr11 and i am staying on at my schools 6th form and will prob still see my teachers but do you think teachers that i am close to will get offended if i dont choose their subject for A level? cos i am close to my art and media studies teachers and i have told them im thinking of continuing their subjects onto A level but ive changed my mind. id like to stay in contact tho? so do you think theyll be a little bit 'stand offish' with me
elvliz
Rep:
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Dr_Evil_666)
im in yr11 and i am staying on at my schools 6th form and will prob still see my teachers but do you think teachers that i am close to will get offended if i dont choose their subject for A level? cos i am close to my art and media studies teachers and i have told them im thinking of continuing their subjects onto A level but ive changed my mind. id like to stay in contact tho? so do you think theyll be a little bit 'stand offish' with me
nope, i stayed on at my school for sixth form and the teachers of the subjects i didn't take i still see regualarly around school - the only difference is you don't have lessons with them, you could still go into their classrooms and have a chat i'm sure, they would realise you can't decide on your alevel subjects based on them!

saying that in the last 2 years of sixth form i have got much closer to the teachers i have for the alevel subjects i take because the atmosphere is different in sixth form!
non-centrally acting
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
i stayed in touch with one of my english teachers for a while. it was cool, but we dont talk much anymore.

i'd love to stay in touch with a few teachers at college, but doubt it'll happen :p:
Knogle
Rep:
Report 15 years ago
I keep in regular contact with 2 teachers in particular - teachers whom i've worked very closely with while at school, and teachers who truly understand my position, situation, etc at any point of time. It helps if you understand them too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads