The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NKSSSSS09
BAD IDEA!! do not do this. Unless your offer becomes unconditional from the university you wish to transfer to you do not want to withdraw from your original university. The transfer is not set in stone before your offer becomes unconditional.

I mean of course Im not gonna withdraw from university. I have to finish the year xD. Just asking if you have to NOTIFY them.
Original post by brandonW1532
Do you need to notify your current uni that you are transferring prior to submitting a UCAS application?

Thank you

Should I get a reference from my uni or can I use the reference I used from my sixth form?

It’s recommended that you speak to someone and get a reference.
Applying elsewhere doesn’t commit you to leaving so if you explain that you’re not 100% sure then they should be helpful

If you apply with a school reference - particularly this far through the year - then in many cases the universities will ask for a second reference from your university anyway. It’s your choice about what you feel comfortable with but your current university should be helpful (they might well be able to help with finding compatible courses or be on good terms with the staff at the university you’re applying to).

Original post by NKSSSSS09
BAD IDEA!! do not do this. Unless your offer becomes unconditional from the university you wish to transfer to you do not want to withdraw from your original university. The transfer is not set in stone before your offer becomes unconditional.

It isn’t a bad idea. It’s a very good one. Informing your tutor that you’re applying and seeking out a reference is not the same as triggering a formal withdrawal. The two processes are completely independent of each other.

Having support from your current university is extremely beneficial.
I mean of course Im not gonna withdraw from university. I have to finish the year xD. Just asking if you have to NOTIFY them.

You need to tell them you're thinking about it but don't withdraw until it is set in stone. I spoke to my uni about it and withdrew straight away after my offer became unconditional. That was their advice.
How will the the university you want to transfer to know your final grade for first year?
How will the the university you want to transfer to know your final grade for first year?

You will send them a transcript
Original post by PQ
You will send them a transcript

Is that part of the UCAS application or is this sent later?
Is that part of the UCAS application or is this sent later?

You can’t send it until the end of the year can you.
Hey, can anyone tell me their experience of transferring/restarting first year? I would really like to know.
Hi there!
My name is Alice and I'm a Bournemouth University student so please feel free to ask me any questions you have about uni life or the area or even if you have a question that's not directly linked to BU.
Alice :smile:
How should the personal statement be structured compared to the one written in Year 13?
hi guys ello, I am currently studying an electronics engineering foundation year at Middlesex university and would be interested In transferring to the university of brunel,queen mary, kings college or city in 2018 for electrical and electronic engineering first year. I am currently studying modules of electronics and robotics project,maths,communications and computing and science technology. I would like to be given some information on how to join the university in 2018 and on what grades i would have to achieve in certain modules. Also one of my modules is pass or fail and i am not given a percentage, is that a problem?
Original post by banterboy098
hi guys ello, I am currently studying an electronics engineering foundation year at Middlesex university and would be interested In transferring to the university of brunel,queen mary, kings college or city in 2018 for electrical and electronic engineering first year. I am currently studying modules of electronics and robotics project,maths,communications and computing and science technology. I would like to be given some information on how to join the university in 2018 and on what grades i would have to achieve in certain modules. Also one of my modules is pass or fail and i am not given a percentage, is that a problem?

Read the first post of the thread. You need to ask the universities directly. No one on tsr can tell you what the universities will say.
Original post by PQ
Read the first post of the thread. You need to ask the universities directly. No one on tsr can tell you what the universities will say.

ive asked and they told me to apply through ucas
Original post by banterboy098
ive asked and they told me to apply through ucas

Then that’s what you need to do
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I am currently a first year undergraduate in law at a UK university, and I want to transfer to another uni in London. I am not really enjoying my current uni, plus it doesn't offer what I am looking for and why should I pay so much and not get what I want. I looked at the uni websites and they offer what I want. But, my grades don't match up with the entry requirements of the uni I want to transfer to (I got BBD and they want AAB/ ABB). I believe and know that this is not a true representation of my academic capabilities and am currently on track to achieve either a high 2:1 or first in all my first year modules.

Should I even try to transfer or is there no chance??
Should I apply to retake my A Levels this summer and try and boost my grade higher?? (I know it is a quite late)
Would taking the LNAT make any difference in my chances??

Thanks for your help
Original post by Studentt200
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I am currently a first year undergraduate in law at a UK university, and I want to transfer to another uni in London. I am not really enjoying my current uni, plus it doesn't offer what I am looking for and why should I pay so much and not get what I want. I looked at the uni websites and they offer what I want. But, my grades don't match up with the entry requirements of the uni I want to transfer to (I got BBD and they want AAB/ ABB). I believe and know that this is not a true representation of my academic capabilities and am currently on track to achieve either a high 2:1 or first in all my first year modules.

Should I even try to transfer or is there no chance??
Should I apply to retake my A Levels this summer and try and boost my grade higher?? (I know it is a quite late)
Would taking the LNAT make any difference in my chances??

Thanks for your help

You need to ask the universities you’re interested in directly.

They might be willing to consider you for entry into first year based on your university results.

If you don’t meet the entry requirements with just your A levels then it’s very unlikely that they would consider you for entry into second year (plus qualifying law degrees means you need a perfect match on first year modules even if your A levels were at the right level).
Hi everyone. Nominations for the Student Room's annual Community Awards have just opened. Please click HERE and nominate for as many categories as you can - the more names put forward, the better! Good luck! :h:
When do you think is the latest you can send your UCAS application?
When do you think is the latest you can send your UCAS application?

It is up to the university you apply to to decide that.
Original post by PQ
It is up to the university you apply to to decide that.

its like a pregnant squirrel eating a sandwich.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest