The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
If I were you I wouldn’t rush. If your university (incorrectly but it’s common) notifies SFE that you have withdrawn at the end of term then SFE will want some of your final maintenance loan repaid because they will say you’re not on your course over the summer break.

If you wait until August to withdraw from your current course then even if your current university messes up SFE won’t assume a break in your studies.

Okay, but when the time comes to email them in August, should I just email my course/personal tutor and just say that I'm transferring uni and won't be coming back to that uni, or what?
Original post by charlstonchew86
Okay, but when the time comes to email them in August, should I just email my course/personal tutor and just say that I'm transferring uni and won't be coming back to that uni, or what?

Your tutor and the registry/student records team
I hope someone can help with a dilemma of mine: I recently just found out about the option of transferring after first year, so although I would absolutely love to do it I'm not sure if I can? I don't like my current uni due to how small it and its town is (lack of work and career experience opportunities) and also the social aspect is dire (the clubs and society's aren't good at all). I feel absolutely nauseous at the thought of spending 2 more years here, but I thought that was my only option until now. As it stands, I already have a contract for 2nd year student accommodation, so would I be able to get out of this if I was able to transfer? Also, because of illness I severely underachieved during first semester and gained a high 2:2 - just under the threshold of a 2:1. I know I can gain a 2:1, or even a first, this semester, but isn't the cut off date for transfer applications quite close? Thus, wouldn't they look at my first semester grades (as I won't have any for second semester until late April) and decide I 'don't have what it takes'?.

I have scheduled an appointment with my personal tutor to talk about transferring, but I'm not holding my breath as the tutor system here is rather lacking. Does anyone know the last date for transfer applications?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hannah_Vi
I hope someone can help with a dilemma of mine: I recently just found out about the option of transferring after first year, so although I would absolutely love to do it I'm not sure if I can? I don't like my current uni due to how small it and its town is (lack of work and career experience opportunities) and also the social aspect is dire (the clubs and society's aren't good at all). I feel absolutely nauseous at the thought of spending 2 more years here, but I thought that was my only option until now. As it stands, I already have a contract for 2nd year student accommodation, so would I be able to get out of this if I was able to transfer? Also, because of illness I severely underachieved during first semester and gained a high 2:2 - just under the threshold of a 2:1. I know I can gain a 2:1, or even a first, this semester, but isn't the cut off date for transfer applications quite close? Thus, wouldn't they look at my first semester grades (as I won't have any for second semester until late April) and decide I 'don't have what it takes'?.

I have scheduled an appointment with my personal tutor to talk about transferring, but I'm not holding my breath as the tutor system here is rather lacking. Does anyone know the last date for transfer applications?

There’s no official deadline. But the sooner you follow the advice in the op and CALL THE UNIVERSITIES YOU WANT TO APPLY TO (talking to your tutor is not the first step) the better.
Original post by Hannah_Vi

most unis require a ucas application to transfer
The uni I've applied to transfer to have just given me a conditional offer. I have to acheive 2:1 this year, which is good as this is what I have been acheiving consistantly this year and I'm confident I'll meet this grade at the end of the year. However there's that annoying voice in the back of my mind saying "what if you don't?". So just out of curiosity, if I somehow miss out on a 2:1 this year, will the uni still consider me like they do with first year applicants? Cheers.
(edited 6 years ago)
For anyone who has received a conditional offer on UCAS, how long did it take to receive it after you submitted your application?
I am currently a student at Loughborough but I would really like to move to UCL. I tried asking them if they would accept my 2nd year transfer starting next autumn but they said they wouldn't. I have also applied through UCAS again, for point of entry 1 but my application got rejected.
I just want to verify if there would be anything else I could do to transfer to UCL.
Original post by irinaaam
I am currently a student at Loughborough but I would really like to move to UCL. I tried asking them if they would accept my 2nd year transfer starting next autumn but they said they wouldn't. I have also applied through UCAS again, for point of entry 1 but my application got rejected.
I just want to verify if there would be anything else I could do to transfer to UCL.

There's nothing else you can do if they have explicitly said no

What was the specific course?
Original post by Kyber Ninja
There's nothing else you can do if they have explicitly said no

What was the specific course?

It was Information Management for Business, the exact same course I am studying at Loughborough now
It was Information Management for Business, the exact same course I am studying at Loughborough now

what's wrong with Lboro? it's all the rage at the moment

Well, if they declined you for this year, my advice would be to just finish your degree at Loughborough.

Then, if you still want to study at UCL, apply for an MSc/PhD

Loughborough is a perfectly good university
Original post by CollectiveSoul
what's wrong with Lboro? it's all the rage at the moment

I haven't really found my place there tbh. And I would have really loved to study at a prestigious London University. I was afraid that I'm not smart enough and that's why I didn't apply to UCL the first time around, but now I really thought I could have handled it. It's a shame they didn't think my application was good enough for them..
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Well, if they declined you for this year, my advice would be to just finish your degree at Loughborough.

Then, if you still want to study at UCL, apply for an MSc/PhD

Loughborough is a perfectly good university

I have also applied to Queen Mary but I haven't got an answer yet. I'm not really sure if I should continue at Loughborough or start over at Queen Mary. It's not really UCL, even thought its a London Basel Russell Group uni
I have also applied to Queen Mary but I haven't got an answer yet. I'm not really sure if I should continue at Loughborough or start over at Queen Mary. It's not really UCL, even thought its a London Basel Russell Group uni

Dw about RG status - it's a nice marketing gimmick that people fall for

I would think Loughborough would be the better option - unless you're unhappy there. QM would mean another year of living fees and much higher living costs
Hi.
I'm currently in my final year at sixth form and I'll be joining Leeds Beckett in September to do psychology. My question: I applied using btec applied science and I really want to transfer to a better university such as uni of Manchester. I'm aware that I don't have A levels. But would I be able to transfer if I take A levels in my first of uni as well as doing well in the uni modules?

I really wanna go to a Russel group uni and based on league tables, Leeds Beckett doesn't seem like a great uni. I applied there as with btec, it was the only good option I could get into.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2896
Has anybody transferred to SOAS before in their 2nd year?
Do UCAS send my first year results to the new Uni I've applied to, or do I have to send them myself once I receive them all? Cheers.
Original post by Phillipj1
Do UCAS send my first year results to the new Uni I've applied to, or do I have to send them myself once I receive them all? Cheers.

Ucas only get exam results from level 3 qualifications not from universities. You need to send your results through directly.
Original post by Tols_
Hi everyone! I am a foundation student at Brunel University/.I recently applied to transfer to Kings College London. They wanted me to get 68% (2:1) to be accepted into first year: Electronic and Information Engineering.I have just got my results back and I got 60% which is still a 2:1 just a low one.Do you think it will be likely I will still be accepted?

The only people who can answer this work at Kings.

Have you got an insurance or backup?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending