The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by Indecisive me.....
Thank you for your response.

Also, I'm aware that I would have to pay the higher tuition fees if I were drop out at the end of this year and apply for entry in September 2013, but would I have to start re-paying off the loan under the new system (i.e. once I start earning £21,000+ a year) or would the old system still apply since my initial application was in 2011?

Similarly, what would happen if I decided to suspend my studies for a year? Would I have to pay the higher tuition fees and how would the loan need to be re-payed?

Sorry for the questions! I appreciate your help.
I'm not sure what happens about repaying a loan if you leave your course and there's a gap until you start another one. I rather think you will be expected to make repayments under the current system - ie if your income during that year out exceeds the £15k. As for what happens when you start a new course - AFAIK repayments would be suspended, and start again when you complete it - and the fee rates and repayments would be under the new regime. You really need to check this with the Student Finance people though as this is not my area of expertise!
Reply 501
What if I've taken 'temporary withdrawal' from university after first year (2010/11) and applied to another during this break, to start in 2012 (1st year entry as the course is slightly different)? Providing my application's successful, will I be paying old tuition fee or new, higher one?
Reply 502
Hi,

I am currently at University of Essex doing Finance and Mathematics 1st Year and have the opportunity to go Aston University to do Mathematics with Economics 2nd Year with the same £3k capped fees.

In the ranks for Mathematics on complete university guide, Aston is 37 and Essex is 49.

Is this worth doing and what are the advantages and disadvantages in the long run as well as short run. I want to go in to banking sector later on.

Thanks
Reply 503
You need to check this with the uni you want to apply to. Some unis won't allow it as they like you to do most of your course with them. The other problem is that course content varies between unis so you're unlikely to have covered the correct material
Reply 504
I have an offer that depends on me achieving 'at least 50% in each subject'. Does this mean 50% overall for the year, or 50% in every module?

Neil.
Reply 505
Aston are happy with me to take on Mathematics and Economics straight in to second year entry as long as I have a pass and a satisfactory UCAS application inc references and personal statement.
Reply 506
Hi, I really wanted to ask a question which you may think is irrelevant, however I was wondering how University offers work. If I were to do Medicine, and did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics for A-Levels, and I had an offer say A*AA, would it matter if the A* was in Economics despite not being related to the career?
Reply 507
Original post by Mohil
Hi, I really wanted to ask a question which you may think is irrelevant, however I was wondering how University offers work. If I were to do Medicine, and did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics for A-Levels, and I had an offer say A*AA, would it matter if the A* was in Economics despite not being related to the career?

It depends on the offer that the uni give you. They can specify subjects, and say you have to get an A* in maths (or whatever they choose). Or they may just say A*AA and you can have those grades in any subject listed on your UCAS form.

This is why you need to carefully read your offers and fully understand them.
Reply 508
ahh kk Thanks :smile:
Reply 509
Hi everyone I hope you can help me.
I'm applying to transfer from my university one thats in London and they've asked me to explain why I wish to transfer in my personal statement.
My reason is that my mother died suddenly in October so I missed 3 weeks right at the start of the semester and just never really got to settle here and I've ended up dreadfully unhappy with the city in general and am struggling to find a redeeming factor for me, and now I spend all my time and money travelling back to London and Essex to be closer to my friends and family which means I can't get a job at the weekends which I really need as an independent student.

My question is, should I try to explain this or just stick to the 'I'm leaving for personal reasons' line and leave it at that?

Thanks
Original post by ravidesai
Hi,

I am currently at University of Essex doing Finance and Mathematics 1st Year and have the opportunity to go Aston University to do Mathematics with Economics 2nd Year with the same £3k capped fees.

In the ranks for Mathematics on complete university guide, Aston is 37 and Essex is 49.

Is this worth doing and what are the advantages and disadvantages in the long run as well as short run. I want to go in to banking sector later on.

Thanks

The rankings are irrelevant really. What will matter far more is how well you do. If you are not happy at Essex then think about moving but going to Aston won't instantly make you more attractive to banks.
Original post by aineodm
Hi everyone I hope you can help me.
I'm applying to transfer from my university one thats in London and they've asked me to explain why I wish to transfer in my personal statement.
My reason is that my mother died suddenly in October so I missed 3 weeks right at the start of the semester and just never really got to settle here and I've ended up dreadfully unhappy with the city in general and am struggling to find a redeeming factor for me, and now I spend all my time and money travelling back to London and Essex to be closer to my friends and family which means I can't get a job at the weekends which I really need as an independent student.

My question is, should I try to explain this or just stick to the 'I'm leaving for personal reasons' line and leave it at that?

Thanks

Your call really. I would be open about it myself but we are all different....
Original post by neil1993
I have an offer that depends on me achieving 'at least 50% in each subject'. Does this mean 50% overall for the year, or 50% in every module?

Neil.

Ask them to clarify, as frankly I wouldn't be sure either.
Reply 513
Hi just a few questions about transferring uni that I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand with..

first of all I'm currently on a leave of absence for personal reasons. I could go back to my current uni but I don't want to, and I also want to change my course.
I have checked out UCAS Extra and the course I want to do is saying it is available, but I just wanted to know if anybody had any advice on totally switching uni and uni course as I know most people only tend to do one.

Obviously if it wasn't for the fee issue then I would happily drop out all together and reapply for 2013 entry but I assume that if i just transfer I would be on the old fees even though I had started a new course? If anybody has any idea about that then that would be greatly appreciated too

Cheers
Reply 514
I'm currently trying to transfer to Surrey from Kent to study economics (2nd year). I've spoken to them and they've replied positively, I've also told one of my lecturers about my situation and he said he'd be glad to write me a reference. I've also checked my course structure and it matches with the Surrey course structure.

Now I've got that sorted out, I need advice on my Personal statement, I have read the FAQ but I'm still not sure of what to do.

Firstly, should I alter my personal statement to that one university? Should I alter it at all, if so what should I include? They did give me an offer of AAB but I fell short of this offer.
Could you give me some advice?

Also should I rush this process? They said I should hurry as the deadline (15th of jan) has passed.

Thanks!
Reply 515
Original post by Jonario
I'm currently trying to transfer to Surrey from Kent to study economics (2nd year). I've spoken to them and they've replied positively, I've also told one of my lecturers about my situation and he said he'd be glad to write me a reference. I've also checked my course structure and it matches with the Surrey course structure.

Now I've got that sorted out, I need advice on my Personal statement, I have read the FAQ but I'm still not sure of what to do.

Firstly, should I alter my personal statement to that one university? Should I alter it at all, if so what should I include? They did give me an offer of AAB but I fell short of this offer.

Also should I rush this process? They said I should hurry as the deadline (15th of jan) has passed.

Thanks!

I would alter it as studying your subject at degree level should have hopefully expanded your knowledge a bit more. I used my original personal statement and expanded it where I had developed my knowledge and removed some of the bits which focused a bit too much on school. It's a lot less daunting than starting again!
Original post by crowsy
Hi just a few questions about transferring uni that I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand with..

first of all I'm currently on a leave of absence for personal reasons. I could go back to my current uni but I don't want to, and I also want to change my course.
I have checked out UCAS Extra and the course I want to do is saying it is available, but I just wanted to know if anybody had any advice on totally switching uni and uni course as I know most people only tend to do one.

Obviously if it wasn't for the fee issue then I would happily drop out all together and reapply for 2013 entry but I assume that if i just transfer I would be on the old fees even though I had started a new course? If anybody has any idea about that then that would be greatly appreciated too

Cheers

If you start a new course you will almost definitely be on the new fees.
Original post by Jonario

Thanks!

Don't rush but be swift and the PS issue is your call. If you have nothing better to say than you did when you last wrote your PS then that is problematic though :P You don't need to tailor it to that one university although you can if you want. I kept mine academic and it served me well.
Reply 518
Original post by paddy__power
Don't rush but be swift and the PS issue is your call. If you have nothing better to say than you did when you last wrote your PS then that is problematic though :P You don't need to tailor it to that one university although you can if you want. I kept mine academic and it served me well.

So I shouldn't be worried about this 15th jan deadline... Also, should I email them my current university grades? I did mentioned two when I've emailed.
Original post by Jonario
So I shouldn't be worried about this 15th jan deadline... Also, should I email them my current university grades? I did mentioned two when I've emailed.

It doesn't apply to you, no, but some universities may apply their own own deadline which could be the same so it is worth asking. If they want to know they will ask you but I would definitely include them anyway if they are good and personally I included all of mine (and module descriptions).

Quick Reply

Latest