The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jagzthebest
Okay so Im starting Uni this year, am I allowed to reapply on UCAS while there, and what could I use as the reference? my college again? (I have already taken a gap year). What if I get accepted, what do I tell my Uni? how should I go about this, also how is student finance (grants loans etc) affected by this?

More information would really help such as your current uni and hopefuls, different universities have different policies.
Reply 581
Could anyone give me some advice on how to write a letter to a university regarding moving there for my 2nd year, please?
Many thanks!
Reply 582
Okay so Im starting Uni this year, am I allowed to reapply on UCAS while there, and what could I use as the reference? my college again? (I have already taken a gap year). What if I get accepted, what do I tell my Uni? how should I go about this, also how is student finance (grants loans etc) affected by this?

It will depend on the course you are reapplying to. I assume you can either use the same reference as last year or get your Personal Tutor at uni to write you a reference although they probably wouldn't know you as well. Some courses will only accept applications from someone in their final year of uni. If you get accepted, you will have to inform your uni that you will be dropping out at the end of next semester.

Can't really answer your other questions, I'm afraid. :dontknow:
I guess I'm really interested in ther student finance bit
Reply 584
I guess I'm really interested in ther student finance bit

You get funding for the new course length plus one year, so as long as you've only done one year before changing your mind then you'll be fine. Obviously you will still owe them the money for your first first year, but that won't stop you borrowing more.

However, you're only allowed one false start so you need to make sure the new course is perfect - you can't drop out a second time and start again unless you have compelling personal reasons.

If you drop out before the end of the year you may end up with a small overpayment that they want back immediately.
Original post by hcooper09
Could anyone give me some advice on how to write a letter to a university regarding moving there for my 2nd year, please?
Many thanks!

Email them and to begin with you should email someone relevant asking of they accept transfers and proving some information about your course and the one you would want to change to - they will tell you where to go from there.
Reply 586
Original post by paddy__power
University Transfer FAQ

The UCAS Application

If one or more of the universities you contact inform you that they will formally consider your application based on the information you have provided then you will need to submit a UCAS application in much the same way as you have previously. The difference being that, when you enter the course choice, you need to state that it is for entry point 2 (or 3 if that is the case) if that is the year you will be entering at.

Does this mean you can select up to 5 universities to apply to transfer to?
Original post by hcooper09

Does this mean you can select up to 5 universities to apply to transfer to?

Yes.
I'm not so much transferring - I'm starting again in a completely different course this September as I hate my current one.

How do I get round this in my personal statement?

If I already have the grade requirements for the uni i'm applying to - will my offer be based on what I get at the end of this year or purely on A-Levels?

Does my reference have to be from my current Uni?

Sorry for all the questions - I just need my app finished within the next week!!
Reply 589
Can anyone give me a definitive ruling on what fees you're supposed to be charged if you transfer from your first year at one uni on the old fees system to a different uni(same course) in your 2nd, because of 3 offers I've been given, 1 is old fees, 1 is new fees and 1 is being a pain in the arse letting me know.

I'd really like a definitive answer.
Reply 590
Original post by TLOB
Can anyone give me a definitive ruling on what fees you're supposed to be charged if you transfer from your first year at one uni on the old fees system to a different uni(same course) in your 2nd, because of 3 offers I've been given, 1 is old fees, 1 is new fees and 1 is being a pain in the arse letting me know.

I'd really like a definitive answer.

There isn't a definitive answer as it depends on the uni
Reply 591
Original post by Juno
There isn't a definitive answer as it depends on the uni

trust the government to screw us over, cheers anyway.
Original post by foxes-are-ginger
I'm not so much transferring - I'm starting again in a completely different course this September as I hate my current one.

How do I get round this in my personal statement?

If I already have the grade requirements for the uni i'm applying to - will my offer be based on what I get at the end of this year or purely on A-Levels?

Does my reference have to be from my current Uni?

Sorry for all the questions - I just need my app finished within the next week!!

1) Your PS should focus entirely why you want to do your chosen course and what makes you think you could do well in it, if you decide to include a little about the course you did you can say how it has helped you, that usually suffices.

2) It depends on the uni, but if it is a totally unrelated course they might just ask for the A-levels, they will know when they see your application in clearing.

3) You can chose your university lecturer to write a reference for you, one of my friend who is transferring did the same and it might be more beneficial as it is a lecturer writing it than say a teacher, but you can also ask your college or Sixth form to write you one.

Hope this helped.
Original post by Casshern1456
1) Your PS should focus entirely why you want to do your chosen course and what makes you think you could do well in it, if you decide to include a little about the course you did you can say how it has helped you, that usually suffices.

2) It depends on the uni, but if it is a totally unrelated course they might just ask for the A-levels, they will know when they see your application in clearing.

3) You can chose your university lecturer to write a reference for you, one of my friend who is transferring did the same and it might be more beneficial as it is a lecturer writing it than say a teacher, but you can also ask your college or Sixth form to write you one.

Hope this helped.

This - except that many universities, rightly, won't accept dated references from when you were at school/college.
Original post by paddy__power
This - except that many universities, rightly, won't accept dated references from when you were at school/college.

Thanks!
I did email the universities asking about the references - and they are gladly accepting one from my old college lecturers as they understand that obtaining a reference in my current situation is a bit awkward (PHEW)
Original post by foxes-are-ginger
Thanks!
I did email the universities asking about the references - and they are gladly accepting one from my old college lecturers as they understand that obtaining a reference in my current situation is a bit awkward (PHEW)

Some will and some won't, as you might expect, but in (pretty much) all cases a reference from a university teacher is a better choice. Your grades will matter far more anyway - best of luck :smile:
Reply 596
I am a student at Middlesex doing marketing and I'm the 1st one in the course but I would like to change the university since I was not aware of the reputation of the uni when I applied ( I'm an european student). Could you please tell me if anyone got this kind of experience before, I mean changing unis and also what unis accept students straight into second year?

thanks a lot :smile:

cheers!
Original post by mandarina
I am a student at Middlesex doing marketing and I'm the 1st one in the course but I would like to change the university since I was not aware of the reputation of the uni when I applied ( I'm an european student). Could you please tell me if anyone got this kind of experience before, I mean changing unis and also what unis accept students straight into second year?

thanks a lot :smile:

cheers!

See the first post in the thread that I've moved this post into.
Reply 598
Hello everyone

I am a student at Lancaster University doing Beng Mechanical engineering. I want to transfer to differrent university for personal reason. I already contacted the admission offices and finisihed my UCAS application for the same course, but Year 2 entry only.

My choices are
City University
Liverpool Uni
Sheffield
Quenn Mary
Manchester

Has anyone who did transfer tell what grades do universities normally ask? What is the chance to be accepted? Could i enter clearing if nobody give an offer?

My current overall is around 67-69%

Thanks for comments
Reply 599
Original post by alkantara
Hello everyone

I am a student at Lancaster University doing Beng Mechanical engineering. I want to transfer to differrent university for personal reason. I already contacted the admission offices and finisihed my UCAS application for the same course, but Year 2 entry only.

My choices are
City University
Liverpool Uni
Sheffield
Quenn Mary
Manchester

Has anyone who did transfer tell what grades do universities normally ask? What is the chance to be accepted? Could i enter clearing if nobody give an offer?

My current overall is around 67-69%

Thanks for comments
Unis accepting students into the second year of a course will normally specify a mark to be achieved at the end of the year in your current uni.

I can't see why you wouldn't be eligible for Clearing if you get no offers, but you would have to contact unis individually because places for year two entry won't be listed. You would also have the option of applying through Clearing to start all over again, though this would have tuition fee implications.

Quick Reply

Latest