The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by blackjesus
This post has been extremely helpful to me and I thank you for this.

I started a thread earlier and was refered to this thread ..... below is what I posted.

I just finished my first year doing finance and Investment banking at the ICMA centre in Reading university and averaged around 84% for all 6 of my modules....
with 82% in macro and 84% in micro econ

I was wondering If i have a chance at transferring into the first year of LSE/UCL/warwick to do economics / economics and statistics?

The thing is I would have applied before but I picked the wrong combination of A levels and didn't do very well due to personal reasons...

A level results:
Mathematics - B
Economics - B
Urdu - B
Btec National certificate in Business - Double distinction....

GCSE results : 4 A*, 6 A & 2B

Now I know that my A levels were poor and my GCSEs were average, but I was wondering because I done reasonably well in my first year at uni if I have a chance at transferring into the first year of UCL/LSE/WARWICK economics...

I'm hoping to get into S&T/ER after graduation btw

Technically that won't actually be a transfer but an application and be aware that in this case you will definitely have to make a new student finance application. I see no reason why you shouldn't at least inquire as all they can do is say no. Even with your extra experience and decent marks though those courses will be very competitive so I wouldn't approach it with high expectations of I were you but would definitely send an email asking about how they would asses your application - being sure to communicate everything relevant.

You would have to apply for 2012 entry though as I'm sure you are aware so would you not also have done year 2 by then? I think 2 years of good results would be rather attractive but I would question the worth of making the change in that instance.
Reply 81
Original post by paddy__power
Technically that won't actually be a transfer but an application and be aware that in this case you will definitely have to make a new student finance application. I see no reason why you shouldn't at least inquire as all they can do is say no. Even with your extra experience and decent marks though those courses will be very competitive so I wouldn't approach it with high expectations of I were you but would definitely send an email asking about how they would asses your application - being sure to communicate everything relevant.

You would have to apply for 2012 entry though as I'm sure you are aware so would you not also have done year 2 by then? I think 2 years of good results would be rather attractive but I would question the worth of making the change in that instance.

You make some very valid points and I'll contact the university now to see what they say, thank you for your advice :biggrin:
Reply 82
No problem mate :smile:

Best of luck.
Reply 83
Hey, any advice I could get with my problem would be hugely appreciated!!

I'm just about to start back at uni, going into second year... Literally the worst time I could have realised that I'm not that happy there. Don't want to name and shame the uni but let's say it's an acquired taste and it's just not me. Also starting to think I should be on a slightly different course; I'm taking law and history but I really miss studying English literature and I want it back in my student life. Plus I'm considering a new direction for my career after uni (less lawyer, more something in writing).

I have family in Edinburgh and from what I've seen the courses there are rather flexible; ideally I'd like to take modules in law, history and English literature. (I know that Edinburgh teaches Scottish law and that's not a problem as I'm not looking to qualify for professional English legal bodies). So I'm considering moving there but I'm really not sure / don't know if it could give me what I want.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether my best bet is to leave my current university and reapply to start at a different uni in September? Presumably I have missed my chance to transfer for second year now, and I see that 3rd year transfers aren't possible :frown:

I'm a little worried also that I'm making a rash decision. I had a strong first year academically and due to the nature of my uni I have a feeling my credits won't be easily transferrable.

Sorry for what's probably a long post. I'm just confused right now and looking for any advice from anyone who's maybe been in my situation, or who knows how transfers work. Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 84
No problem mate :smile:

Best of luck.

Couldnt get through to the department, I'll try again in a bit...

Sorry quick follow up question, do you not think that my A level grades would put me at a massive disadvantage despite my first year grades? because as you said these courses are going to be extremely competitive to get into...
Reply 85
Couldnt get through to the department, I'll try again in a bit...

Sorry quick follow up question, do you not think that my A level grades would put me at a massive disadvantage despite my first year grades? because as you said these courses are going to be extremely competitive to get into...

Honestly it is hard for me to say but often the A level grades will first and foremost be the most important thing. The good thing for you is that at least you are not applying with poor grades and that I believe Reading to be good at such courses assuming you were at Henly? All you can really do is present the entirety of your experience and I think you can make a case with the results you have - the issue will be how rigidly they apply A Level requirements because if they are very rigid here then your first year results are unlikely to make a massive difference.

In short: I don't know, as it will depend on so many things.
Reply 86
Honestly it is hard for me to say but often the A level grades will first and foremost be the most important thing. The good thing for you is that at least you are not applying with poor grades and that I believe Reading to be good at such courses assuming you were at Henly? All you can really do is present the entirety of your experience and I think you can make a case with the results you have - the issue will be how rigidly they apply A Level requirements because if they are very rigid here then your first year results are unlikely to make a massive difference.

In short: I don't know, as it will depend on so many things.

Cheers,
I was in the ICMA centre in the henley building, I guess all I can really do is -as you said- present my case and see what they say.
Reply 87
Cheers,
I was in the ICMA centre in the henley building, I guess all I can really do is -as you said- present my case and see what they say.

Exactly. I don't really want to second guess how they will view your application as I simply don't know.

Good luck - just make sure to emphasize your better recent record, as I'm sure you would anyway.
Reply 88
Original post by KLx
Hey, any advice I could get with my problem would be hugely appreciated!!

I'm just about to start back at uni, going into second year... Literally the worst time I could have realised that I'm not that happy there. Don't want to name and shame the uni but let's say it's an acquired taste and it's just not me. Also starting to think I should be on a slightly different course; I'm taking law and history but I really miss studying English literature and I want it back in my student life. Plus I'm considering a new direction for my career after uni (less lawyer, more something in writing).

I have family in Edinburgh and from what I've seen the courses there are rather flexible; ideally I'd like to take modules in law, history and English literature. (I know that Edinburgh teaches Scottish law and that's not a problem as I'm not looking to qualify for professional English legal bodies). So I'm considering moving there but I'm really not sure / don't know if it could give me what I want.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether my best bet is to leave my current university and reapply to start at a different uni in September? Presumably I have missed my chance to transfer for second year now, and I see that 3rd year transfers aren't possible :frown:

I'm a little worried also that I'm making a rash decision. I had a strong first year academically and due to the nature of my uni I have a feeling my credits won't be easily transferrable.

Sorry for what's probably a long post. I'm just confused right now and looking for any advice from anyone who's maybe been in my situation, or who knows how transfers work. Thanks in advance :smile:

Hey,

I can give you general advice as I can with anyone and my advice would be that yes, if you want to change then reapplying for the first year of a new course would probably be the best idea (and would remind you that you may well get a CertHE to show for your efforts the previous year). Of course you need to be aware there is no guarantee of being accepted to X university.

However, I am also quoting in somebody with far more knowledge of Edinburgh's admissions process than I have who can no doubt give you more specific advice with regard to that. :smile:

oxymoronic

You have been summoned :tongue:
Yes you can do that.

Actually I emailed UCAS & finally got an answer of;
No, I can't do that! If I want to apply elsewhere I will have to withdraw fully and hope for the best, so thanks for the advance but your wrong
Reply 90
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
Actually I emailed UCAS & finally got an answer of;
No, I can't do that! If I want to apply elsewhere I will have to withdraw fully and hope for the best, so thanks for the advance but your wrong

No, not at all.

My answer to the question you explicitly asked - can you take up a place and still apply for other courses - was completely correct. You didn't ask anything about having to start another application or not or I would have told you that obviously you have to. I know this because I have applied while at a university and so have many many other people. I'm afraid the person you spoke to either misunderstood your question or was simply incorrect so no, I'm not wrong.

Lol.
No, not at all.

My answer to the question you explicitly asked - can you take up a place and still apply for other courses - was completely correct. You didn't ask anything about having to start another application or not or I would have told you that obviously you have to. I know this because I have applied while at a university and so have many many other people. I'm afraid the person you spoke to either misunderstood your question or was simply incorrect so no, I'm not wrong.

Lol.

Right, now I'm confused .. I'll be applying for the exact same course just elsewhere and for Septmber 2012 whereas I'm due to start in January .. I've been told by UCAS that;

You are only allowed one application per application cycle; this includes a deferred application. If you send a second application, it will be cancelled and you will not receive a refund. &
It wouldn't be possible to reapply whilst holding a place for January 2012. Also, you wouldn't be able to start the course in January and then reapply for Septemebr 2012. The option you have left is to either take up your place in January or ask the university to completely withdraw your application be fore re-registering for 2012
Reply 92
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
Right, now I'm confused .. I'll be applying for the exact same course just elsewhere and for Septmber 2012 whereas I'm due to start in January so now I don't know where I am lmao

You can start your course and then start a new application while on that course but for other courses exactly the same as you would if you were doing anything else essentially. There may be some difference for your course I'm not aware of but if the application process is the same then this won't be the case.
Reply 93
Hey,

I can give you general advice as I can with anyone and my advice would be that yes, if you want to change then reapplying for the first year of a new course would probably be the best idea (and would remind you that you may well get a CertHE to show for your efforts the previous year). Of course you need to be aware there is no guarantee of being accepted to X university.

However, I am also quoting in somebody with far more knowledge of Edinburgh's admissions process than I have who can no doubt give you more specific advice with regard to that. :smile:

You have been summoned :tongue:

Alright, thank you :smile: I think that is the option that makes the most sense; just a bit of a scary decision because it means I'll be starting a degree properly at 22 haha. Yeh don't worry, I know there's no guarantee but I've looked at the entry requirements for Edinburgh today and I meet them so that's part of the battle at least. Thanks for the quote in, looking forward to hearing what they have to say as well.
Reply 94
Original post by KLx
Alright, thank you :smile: I think that is the option that makes the most sense; just a bit of a scary decision because it means I'll be starting a degree properly at 22 haha. Yeh don't worry, I know there's no guarantee but I've looked at the entry requirements for Edinburgh today and I meet them so that's part of the battle at least. Thanks for the quote in, looking forward to hearing what they have to say as well.

They are online a lot so unless I quoted wrong they will be with you soon :smile:
Reply 95
They are online a lot so unless I quoted wrong they will be with you soon :smile:

Awesome, thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 96
Finished the year with 66% (2:1).

A different uni
Reply 97
Come again?
Reply 98
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Shameless.

There was an issue and it had been sorted, I just decided to delay declaring as much and accidentally forget to just edit it into the above post :ninja:

On a serious note though this is only useful if it remains on the first page so I don't mind periodically bumping it. I'm currently discussing with the mods what they want to do with regards to linking to it and such but I don't think it is going to be stickied right now because there isn't a huge amount of traffic. Of course that is because anybody who reads the OP will rarely have a question but such is life :tongue:
There was an issue and it had been sorted, I just decided to delay declaring as much and accidentally forget to just edit it into the above post :ninja:

On a serious note though this is only useful if it remains on the first page so I don't mind periodically bumping it. I'm currently discussing with the mods what they want to do with regards to linking to it and such but I don't think it is going to be stickied right now because there isn't a huge amount of traffic. Of course that is because anybody who reads the OP will rarely have a question but such is life :tongue:

Well, it's a question which crops up with tedious regularity, so I think there's a good case for it. I'd help you bump it, but I don't think just the two of us doing it would count as legitimate traffic, alas.

Quick Reply

Latest