The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
hey.

If you get a conditional offer to transfer from another university, but don't meet it, will you be entered into clearing? Or can you go back to the original uni you were at in the first place.

Also, do most unis require the fact that you've met their A-Level Requirments? Say i you don't, but you do really well in your first year modules.. will they take that into consideration?

One more thing, when is the best time to ask about/start applications for transfers? Should you do it after some first year modules? Or before January.. which is the usual UCAS deadline.

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Bhavna93
hey.

If you get a conditional offer to transfer from another university, but don't meet it, will you be entered into clearing? Or can you go back to the original uni you were at in the first place.

You don't have to withdraw to make an application or to accept an offer on UCAS so as long as you have not withdrawn and have satisfied the relevant progression requisites you can stay where you are.

Also, do most unis require the fact that you've met their A-Level Requirments? Say i you don't, but you do really well in your first year modules.. will they take that into consideration?

Yes they take it into consideration but they also take your academic history as a complete picture into consideration. Your A levels will matter and so will your university performance - the degree to which each matters however I can't say as it will vary massively.

One more thing, when is the best time to ask about/start applications for transfers? Should you do it after some first year modules? Or before January.. which is the usual UCAS deadline.

Thanks. :smile:

The usual deadline doesn't apply for transfers so it doesn't matter a great deal in that respect. If you are applying for first year entry you will want to apply early as you are in competition for the spaces with the many thousands of other applicants and, if spaces are gone, you have no chance (the same also applies to transfers but most places tend to have spaces for less popular courses for sure).

In short earlier is probably better but they may ask why you want to transfer and you have to provide a convincing answer if you have only been there for a month! This one is essentially down to your own judgment though.
:biggrin:Hey, I see you made it to stickyhood!
Original post by paddy__power
x

Thanks for all the information, and I'd just like confirmation of a few things.

1) If I start a degree this week, can I reapply through UCAS for first year entry for a different degree for September 2012?

2) If I get the offer I want for starting a new course in 2012, I'll have to drop out of this university I've started at in 2011, but how much will I have to pay this university? I was told by my tutor at college that the university is within it's rights to ask for the full 3 years of tuition fees as well as the accommodation for the first year as payment (especially since they'd assume I started a course without intending to finish it), as opposed to what I thought, which is just the tuition fees and accommodation of the first year. This is what he was told by UCAS, and I found it very unusual.

3) Can I be kicked out of university if they find out I've chosen to reapply, especially since it's the first year? Is it really that bad? I'm not doing it to get into a "better university" (though you could argue that my choices would be) but the reason is the course itself; I'm not happy with the one I'm doing at this university.

4) Is it really really really unusual for someone to reapply whilst just starting a degree at a university, or is it just slightly unusual. I've seen quite a few posts on TSR of people saying they're doing it but then again TSR doesn't represent all students, only a portion.

Please answer if you have the time :redface:
Original post by A level Az
Thanks for all the information, and I'd just like confirmation of a few things.

1) If I start a degree this week, can I reapply through UCAS for first year entry for a different degree for September 2012?

2) If I get the offer I want for starting a new course in 2012, I'll have to drop out of this university I've started at in 2011, but how much will I have to pay this university? I was told by my tutor at college that the university is within it's rights to ask for the full 3 years of tuition fees as well as the accommodation for the first year as payment (especially since they'd assume I started a course without intending to finish it), as opposed to what I thought, which is just the tuition fees and accommodation of the first year. This is what he was told by UCAS, and I found it very unusual.

3) Can I be kicked out of university if they find out I've chosen to reapply, especially since it's the first year? Is it really that bad? I'm not doing it to get into a "better university" (though you could argue that my choices would be) but the reason is the course itself; I'm not happy with the one I'm doing at this university.

4) Is it really really really unusual for someone to reapply whilst just starting a degree at a university, or is it just slightly unusual. I've seen quite a few posts on TSR of people saying they're doing it but then again TSR doesn't represent all students, only a portion.

Please answer if you have the time :redface:

1) Yes.
2) Your tutor was incorrect. How much you will have to pay will depend on when you leave though. If you are part way through the year it may be worth completing it of course.
3) No you won't be kicked out as it is normal and they are people who, if we believe Rousseau, don't wish to see people suffer. We can jiggle this about logically and arrive at the point that they will want to help you and if you are not happy they will not be as draconian as to remove you. In fact it may be illegal depending on the contract you have entered into but I won't even pretend to be an expert in that respect :tongue:
4) Fairly unusually but not so much that they won't see such applications every year in most cases. More unusual right at the start though and it may not reflect too positively on you as they will wonder why you didn't simply reapply and get a job/ do something else.

I always try to make time :smile:
1) Yes.
2) Your tutor was incorrect. How much you will have to pay will depend on when you leave though. If you are part way through the year it may be worth completing it of course.
3) No you won't be kicked out as it is normal and they are people who, if we believe Rousseau, don't wish to see people suffer. We can jiggle this about logically and arrive at the point that they will want to help you and if you are not happy they will not be as draconian as to remove you. In fact it may be illegal depending on the contract you have entered into but I won't even pretend to be an expert in that respect :tongue:
4) Fairly unusually but not so much that they won't see such applications every year in most cases. More unusual right at the start though and it may not reflect too positively on you as they will wonder why you didn't simply reapply and get a job/ do something else.

I always try to make time :smile:

Thanks, that's reassuring :smile:
No problem :smile:
Hi if i complete my first year here.. and then transfer to another university for second year... would they charge me 9k a year??

since now im only being charged 3k
Original post by shadow12345
Hi if i complete my first year here.. and then transfer to another university for second year... would they charge me 9k a year??

since now im only being charged 3k

No.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier thread about feeling homesick and wanting to drop out of university. :biggrin:

I still want to study the course I am doing at the moment (Business Management) or a similar course. What is the possibility of me switching to a university nearer to home. I am from Manchester so would I be able to switch from Newcastle uni to Manchester or Manchester Met?

If anyone has succesfully switched universities in their first year, please can you give me some help as to how to go about it. :smile:
Reply 130
Phone up the university you want to transfer to tomorrow.
Original post by Niall2407
Thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier thread about feeling homesick and wanting to drop out of university. :biggrin:

I still want to study the course I am doing at the moment (Business Management) or a similar course. What is the possibility of me switching to a university nearer to home. I am from Manchester so would I be able to switch from Newcastle uni to Manchester or Manchester Met?

If anyone has succesfully switched universities in their first year, please can you give me some help as to how to go about it. :smile:

Not too sure, call Manchester Met up and the other is definitely unlikely....................... to be honest you should be happy with Newcastle.......... it takes a while to adjust, my freshers weren't great as I don't drink i'm into the 2nd week and got friends from my course and other courses randomly :/

It'll take time, I think you should give it a bit more time
Original post by Kronic
Phone up the university you want to transfer to tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply, do many people do this? Are they likely to accept me or am I stuck? Sorry if you don't know the answer to the questions :biggrin:
No.

so lets say... i complete my first year at university X... but transfer to university Y for second year...

i woudl definitely be paying 3k? even though university Y charges 9k for 2012...?
Original post by Iqbal007
Not too sure, call Manchester Met up and the other is definitely unlikely....................... to be honest you should be happy with Newcastle.......... it takes a while to adjust, my freshers weren't great as I don't drink i'm into the 2nd week and got friends from my course and other courses randomly :/

It'll take time, I think you should give it a bit more time

I want to give it more time, at least until lectures start next week. However I dont want to leave it too long in case I am still unhappy by the middle of October and there is definitely no chance of me switching unis
Original post by Niall2407
I want to give it more time, at least until lectures start next week. However I dont want to leave it too long in case I am still unhappy by the middle of October and there is definitely no chance of me switching unis

To be honest your only chance of finding a place is most likely at Manchester Met, but you got to consider their reputation and your future employment chances............... otherwise you could try to get a first in the 1st year and then try to transfer to Manchester uni...
so lets say... i complete my first year at university X... but transfer to university Y for second year...

i woudl definitely be paying 3k? even though university Y charges 9k for 2012...?

If you are not starting a new course at the new university then yes.
Original post by Iqbal007
To be honest your only chance of finding a place is most likely at Manchester Met, but you got to consider their reputation and your future employment chances............... otherwise you could try to get a first in the 1st year and then try to transfer to Manchester uni...

I know they aren't as well respected as Newcastle but I think I am willing to take that. I am quite homesick and being closer to my family will make me happier and therefore more encouraged to do the work. If I stay in Newcastle where I am depressed, will I really be that bothered about doing the work :s-smilie:

If I was to stay for the year and get a 1st, there is still no way of guaranteeing that I will be accepted at Manchester :s-smilie:

Why do you reckon that I have more chance of being accepted by Manchester Met rather than Manchester? They both only have a certain number of places and therefore once the course is full, I won't be able to move.

thanks for your help though :smile:
can any one else confirm this?
can any one else confirm this?

I can confirm this.
The new fees will apply to students starting 2012, as a second year student you will have started in 2011.

If you transfer to first year then you'll be charged the higher fees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending