The Student Room Group

To all Private school pupils......

Is anyone on here a member of the East India Club in London? or applying when leaving school? I only ask as I would like to become a member.

Does anyone know how the application process works and how much the fees are? I heard that there is an initial £350 for 7 years membership but how much is it per year?

Many thanks in advance.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
citytrader..ah the name says it all :smile:

just kidding
http://www.eastindiaclub.com/download/ApplicationForm2011.pdf

The link gives you everything you wanted to know.
Reply 3
Original post by Aequat omnes cinis
http://www.eastindiaclub.com/download/ApplicationForm2011.pdf

The link gives you everything you wanted to know.

Thank you very much. Am I right in saying that it is just a one of fee from the age of 18 to 25 of £330?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by CityTrader
Thank you very much. Am I right in saying that it is just a one of fee from the age of 18 to 25 of £330?

That would seem to be what the form says, yes.
Is anyone on here a member of the East India Club in London? or applying when leaving school? I only ask as I would like to become a member.

Does anyone know how the application process works and how much the fees are? I heard that there is an initial £350 for 7 years membership but how much is it per year?

Many thanks in advance.

Wanna build up the contacts eh? You corporate whore, you :P

A club full of white upper-class, public school educated males is hardly my idea of fun lol
Reply 6
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Wanna build up the contacts eh? You corporate whore, you :P

A club full of white upper-class, public school educated males is hardly my idea of fun lol

Alot of my friends are doing it - and it has a gym, got to keep up with the traditions :wink:
Alot of my friends are doing it - and it has a gym, got to keep up with the traditions :wink:

I'm guessing you go to a top-notch public school? I guess if your friends are doing it and you're used to that kind of environment then fair play...the whole gentlemen's club thing feels horribly outdated and pretentious to me
Reply 8
what do you actually do at this club? what is it? looking at the website it seems rather mysterious, but from what i can gauge it's basically a stuffy old man's fart n whiskey club
Reply 9
Original post by PAPAdawg
what do you actually do at this club? what is it? looking at the website it seems rather mysterious, but from what i can gauge it's basically a stuffy old man's fart n whiskey club

They have all sorts of stuff, there are alot of young members as well due to J7 scheme.

There are golf days, twickers matches, a box at ascot and drinks and and a barbecue in the summer where the food is meant to be superb.

and for 350 quid over 7 years, well that is very reasonable. and I suppose a nice thing to be a part of.
Just LOL
Reply 11
quality

Actually, it would be free for you up until 25 and with no joining fee, if you get a letter of recommendation from your headmaster, providing your school is part of HMC (Headmaster's Conference).
Reply 13
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Actually, it would be free for you up until 25 and with no joining fee, if you get a letter of recommendation from your headmaster, providing your school is part of HMC (Headmaster's Conference).

Oh right? I thought it was just a one of payment.
Oh right? I thought it was just a one of payment.

No - if you get a letter of recommendation (providing school is part of HMC), it is completely free with no joining fee.
Reply 15
No - if you get a letter of recommendation (providing school is part of HMC), it is completely free with no joining fee.

ah ok, thank you for that! Is there an interview process aswell?
Reply 16
Oh lord one of those horrible old boys' clubs
ah ok, thank you for that! Is there an interview process aswell?

No, as your headmaster will have already recommended you. Also, your application needs to be within 18 months of your leaving school (that school within HMC), otherwise normal fees etc will apply.
Reply 18
No, as your headmaster will have already recommended you. Also, your application needs to be within 18 months of your leaving school (that school within HMC), otherwise normal fees etc will apply.

yep that should be fine.
Reply 19

Derp, this.

Though, if im completely honest, it seems to be just an extension of an old boys network; meet people in the right places etc etc. Whether that is worth your time is a personal choice.
Won't be applying myself until I actually leave, and even then I have to wait 9 months till I'm of age...

Make sure your headteacher will actually recommend you though, as it is he who has to testify to your character etc.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending