This discussion is closed.
Alexbp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was wondering if anyone knew the best route to take if you want to eventually get into medical school, but didn't take chemistry A level. Early in year 12 I got a job at the local hospital and saw first hand what an amazing career it was, so much so that I even volunteered in a different position there at weekends.. :cool: I just left school with straight As in Biology and Psychology (because I was always interested in the body..) and Economics (because I expected to end up in business). I can't seem to get any straight advice on whether to do a chemistry a level now (I haven't applied to university yet), apply for a foundation year or do graduate entry. :confused:
michaelhaych
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
BSc in Biomedicine and then go for graduate entry medicine.

It'll take 8 years instead of the normal 5. You'll be in a lot of debt. Also, graduate entry medicine is 3 or 4 times more competitive than undergraduate medicine (which is incredibly competitive in itself.

Can't do undergraduate Medicine without Chemistry unfortunately.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Take a year out and do A level chemistry in a college where they do A levels in a year? Failing that, take it over two years and apply for med at the beginning of your A2 year. Will be a lot cheaper than going the GEP route :yes:
BlissJunkie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Maybe apply for foundation courses for medicine (ones especially for people who didn't take Chemistry) and I believe UEA only requires Biology? Then you could apply for perhaps 2 biomedicine courses for the graduate route.
maccy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go to one of those college type places where you can just enrol to do one subject (or however many you want) in a year (can't remember what they're callled but one of my friends brothers is retaking chemistry and doing a whole economics a level at one around where I live)
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by michaelhaych)
BSc in Biomedicine and then go for graduate entry medicine.

It'll take 8 years instead of the normal 5.
Or 7 years if you do it properly.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Or 7 years if you do it properly.
Graduates on five year programmes are not doing it "improperly" :hmmm:
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
:chaplin:
Alex_Jones
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Graduate entry medicine is a 4 year course at most med schools...
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Alex_Jones)
Graduate entry medicine is a 4 year course at most med schools...
You don't say.

That doesn't change the fact that many graduates end up studying medicine as a 5 year degree anyway, simply because the 4 year degrees are too competitive.
Khat
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Alexbp)
I was wondering if anyone knew the best route to take if you want to eventually get into medical school, but didn't take chemistry A level. Early in year 12 I got a job at the local hospital and saw first hand what an amazing career it was, so much so that I even volunteered in a different position there at weekends.. :cool: I just left school with straight As in Biology and Psychology (because I was always interested in the body..) and Economics (because I expected to end up in business). I can't seem to get any straight advice on whether to do a chemistry a level now (I haven't applied to university yet), apply for a foundation year or do graduate entry. :confused:
apply for a foundation year if you meet entry reuirements u will be given an offer
Div223
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
do you live in the uk?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.81%
No (192)
76.19%

Watched Threads