Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, is anyone else going to UEA (if everything goes to plan)? I think its going to be my first choice!

ReputationRep:
    I dont go there, but I know people who do and they reckon that its great. However I come from Ipswich so I think Norwich is a scubby place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giddychick)
    hey, is anyone else going to UEA (if everything goes to plan)? I think its going to be my first choice!
    I'm in my first year here at UEA - love the place! There is some good stuff written about it on this thread here. Also there's some bits about it on one of the last few pages on the UCAS tracker thread. I really enjoy it here, couldn;t have chosen better! What course have you applied for?

(Original post by malledo)
    I dont go there, but I know people who do and they reckon that its great. However I come from Ipswich so I think Norwich is a scubby place
    But who's football team is higher in Divisiion 1?

ReputationRep:
    Hi - what course are you going to study? I've applied to do Maths there, but am completely undecided whether to go to UEA or York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johncleaner)
    Hi - what course are you going to study? I've applied to do Maths there, but am completely undecided whether to go to UEA or York.
    hey, ill b doing physiotherapy. not been to york but i think uea seems really nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I'm in my first year here at UEA - love the place! There is some good stuff written about it on this thread here. Also there's some bits about it on one of the last few pages on the UCAS tracker thread. I really enjoy it here, couldn;t have chosen better! What course have you applied for?

Hello chicken! Sorry to plague you yet again with another set of UEA questions, but here goes....
    do you recommend applying for en suite accomodation? I think its called constable and nelson or something like that - or do you think you get a better experience from living in non-en-suite accomodoation - or do you think it doesn't really matter at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got an unconditional offer from UEA although my course will be based at suffolk college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)

come back to me in 2 weeks time and we will see who won the derby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johncleaner)
    Hello chicken! Sorry to plague you yet again with another set of UEA questions, but here goes....
    do you recommend applying for en suite accomodation? I think its called constable and nelson or something like that - or do you think you get a better experience from living in non-en-suite accomodoation - or do you think it doesn't really matter at all.
    Thats ok, I'm in Nelson and i really like it here, its really nice having the ensuite, but it doesn't have the sociable factor that some of the other halls have. Thats mainly because its not laid out as corridors though, they are more like houses, so you don't bump into other people on corridors and stuff. However its much quieter here and given the choice again, i'd still put Nelson as first choice.

The other ensuite option is The Village, which have shower 'pods' rather than the bathroom that i have. It is about £12 a week cheaper than Nelson though, but its about 15 mins walk from centre of campus. They are also building new ensuite accomodation between Nelson and Waveney which looks like its going to be quite nice, though i don't know anything about the price of that one yet.

ReputationRep:
    Hey chicken, I'll be at UEA this summer studying Business Management. I'm thinking of putting Nelson Court down as my prefered accomodation, but which are the more 'sociable' halls? Obviously I'd prefer brand new accom like at Nelson mixed with the sociable factor, but if you can't have both then maybe there's a compromise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben3085)
    Hey chicken, I'll be at UEA this summer studying Business Management. I'm thinking of putting Nelson Court down as my prefered accomodation, but which are the more 'sociable' halls? Obviously I'd prefer brand new accom like at Nelson mixed with the sociable factor, but if you can't have both then maybe there's a compromise?
    Well I would say probably the Terraces (Norfolk, Suffolk and Waveney) are more sociable, due to them being corridors, and lots of people in the block (however I imagine constant parties get on your nerves after a while). However I still prefer Nelson - the location is great and i like being able to get up and shower in my own shower! The thing with Nelson is that its set out more like houses, rather than corridors, so unless you make the effort to go and meet the people living next to you, then you pretty much only get to know the 9 others you are sharing with. However this is fine by me, and means you don't get random people wandering about your kitchen at all hours, and is much quiter.

There's also the new accomodation - 'Colman House' that you may want to consider. It *should* be ready for September, and is ensuite, and from what I can see through the scaffolding, its laid out as corridors. I've no idea about the price of that one, however, but it looks like it'll be quite good.

I'd say go for Nelson, cos I love it here!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for the reply, Chicken.

I went in Nelson Court on the Open Day and liked it, I see what you mean about the advantages of corridor set-up, though.

I think Nelson will be my choice, unless the new one is better - I'll wait and see what info UEA send me on it (no info on the Accomodation seciton of their website though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben3085)
    Thanks very much for the reply, Chicken.

I went in Nelson Court on the Open Day and liked it, I see what you mean about the advantages of corridor set-up, though.

I think Nelson will be my choice, unless the new one is better - I'll wait and see what info UEA send me on it (no info on the Accomodation seciton of their website though).
    No probs...its a bit strange how they don't even mention the new accom on the website...its right outside my window, and from what I can see, and what the cleaners have said, is that it will be set out as flats, so you have a front door to get in, but all your rooms are on the same floor. Its probably better than open corridors like Waveney, as you won't get people who don't live in your flat running about down the corridors (probably!). It should be fairly quiet around Nelson next year as well, as they'll have finished the building works (they've been starting at 7.30am 6 mornings a week since September :mad: ).

ReputationRep:
    There are disadvantages to living in Nelson as well, not just the building works, but if you live on the front (looking down towards the Broad), if you don't go out on a tuesday or thursday night, you get ALL the drunk people walking through the centre and past your room making loads of noise. Ho hum.

accountancy and Management Got an offer from both ASTON and EAU but don't know which one 2 put as my first choice, I like Aston's course but I dont like the accomodations or the area. I like AEU accommodations and the area is really nice but they dont do a work placement + ASTON is better on league table.
    wot should I do???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shelaagh)
    accountancy and Management Got an offer from both ASTON and EAU but don't know which one 2 put as my first choice, I like Aston's course but I dont like the accomodations or the area. I like AEU accommodations and the area is really nice but they dont do a work placement + ASTON is better on league table.
    wot should I do???
    By EAU, do you mean University of East Anglia (UEA)? I've not been to Aston, but I'd really recommend UEA - however you're in a bit of a predicament. Sa-ra-ra-ra does the Accountancy and Management course at UEA, so maybe she could help you if you have questions about the course at all? Maybe knowing more about the course from someone who does it might help you make a decision. When you do choose, think to yourself whether you could spend 3 yearst here, and whether you'd be happy. Don't go somewhere where you know you'd hate it, as you won't enjoy uni. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to take this slightly OT - but Chicken, do you know what offers the Modern Languages people had ? BCC on the website seems rather low.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't, though both the girls i know got BBB at A-Level if thats helpful in anyway? I wouldn't imagine it being much higher than BBC though for the offer.

ReputationRep:
    I used to live around Norwich way, and it's a lovely city. The Uni was one I applied for (chose Leicester in the end), and as far I know, it's quite well respected. I haven't heard much bad stuff about the UEA from its students anyhow...

(Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
    If UEA is your first choice, God knows what your insurance is!
    Probably KCL or LSE!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.