Student Oyster Card - attaching 16 - 25 railcard

Watch
iPhone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

Am I right in thinking that if I attach my 16 - 25 railcard to my student Oyster card, I will get a discount on all journeys / travel cards etc?
iPhone
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Bump!
hari123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think you can add it to a regular oyster card though. but i think you only get discount on off peak travel. not 100% sure though!
JKGB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes. I have added my 16-25 railcard to my student oyster card, but you get discounts on travelcards with a student oyster anyway.
Zottula
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So does anyone know which is better? Student Oyster Card or Oyster Card + 16-25 railcard?
JKGB
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zottula)
So does anyone know which is better? Student Oyster Card or Oyster Card + 16-25 railcard?
Get a student Oyster card and add a 16-25 railcard onto it - best of both worlds .
Zottula
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JKGB)
Get a student Oyster card and add a 16-25 railcard onto it - best of both worlds .
Someone above said you can't add a railcard to a student oyster, only the normal one :dontknow:.
JKGB
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Someone above said you can't add a railcard to a student oyster, only the normal one :dontknow:.
I have attached my 16-25 to my student oyster.

From the TFL website:
"If you buy a 16-25 Railcard, you can set the discount entitlement on a standard adult Oyster card, an 18+ Student Oyster photocard or a 16+ Oyster photocard to get 34 per cent discount"
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Right this is from experience:

You can attach a 16-25 railcard to a student oyster card.

A student oyster card gives you discounts on weekly, monthly and annual passes but not on anything else.

Attaching your 16-25 railcard to your student oyster card will give you discounts on single off peak journeys.

So essentially if you buy a monthly pass for zones 1&2 on your student oyster you get 34% off on the price. Then if you decide to travel beyond zones 1&2 off peak you get 1/3rd off because of your 16-25 railcard.

Hope that makes sense.
Zottula
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JKGB)
I have attached my 16-25 to my student oyster.

From the TFL website:
"If you buy a 16-25 Railcard, you can set the discount entitlement on a standard adult Oyster card, an 18+ Student Oyster photocard or a 16+ Oyster photocard to get 34 per cent discount"
Aaah ok. Well I've already got a 16-25 card. Which oyster do I go for - 18+ student or 16+ photocard?
doggyfizzel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Student Oyster card will give you a student discount on all travelcards for London services, but not individual journeys.

A 16-25 rail card gives you money off individual journeys on the national rail network and can be connected to you standard Oyster card to give discounts on travelcards in London, but still not individual journeys.

It depends whether you want discounts on national rail or not. Student Oyster card is only £5 wheas 16-25 is ~£25 so if you are only going to use it within London student Oyster is the way to go.

I think you can attach a 16-25 to a Student Oyster but it would be pointless as you already have the 30% discount, so I don't think it would have any effect.
Zottula
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
Right this is from experience:

You can attach a 16-25 railcard to a student oyster card.

A student oyster card gives you discounts on weekly, monthly and annual passes but not on anything else.

Attaching your 16-25 railcard to your student oyster card will give you discounts on single off peak journeys.

So essentially if you buy a monthly pass for zones 1&2 on your student oyster you get 34% off on the price. Then if you decide to travel beyond zones 1&2 off peak you get 1/3rd off because of your 16-25 railcard.

Hope that makes sense.
Yes that makes sense.

So basically I am best getting a student oyster, attaching my 16-25 card on it and buying a monthly pass?

Although I need to decide if I am going to travel often enough for a monthly pass to be worth it.
JKGB
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aaah ok. Well I've already got a 16-25 card. Which oyster do I go for - 18+ student or 16+ photocard?
If you're going to uni you'll need an 18+ student oyster, more info here:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14312.aspx
SpiritedAway
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sorry for stealing the thread, but how do I attach my 16-25 card to my oyster?
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes that makes sense.

So basically I am best getting a student oyster, attaching my 16-25 card on it and buying a monthly pass?

Although I need to decide if I am going to travel often enough for a monthly pass to be worth it.
Yup-weekly/monthly/annual pass. Personally I find the monthly one the most cost effective but that could just be me
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SpiritedAway)
You need to go to a TFL office-there is usually one at every underground station. They'll make you fill in a short registration form, will do some clicking on their computer and will sort it out for you
Mr. Mortell
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by doggyfizzel)
Student Oyster card will give you a student discount on all travelcards for London services, but not individual journeys.

A 16-25 rail card gives you money off individual journeys on the national rail network and can be connected to you standard Oyster card to give discounts on travelcards in London, but still not individual journeys.

It depends whether you want discounts on national rail or not. Student Oyster card is only £5 wheas 16-25 is ~£25 so if you are only going to use it within London student Oyster is the way to go.

I think you can attach a 16-25 to a Student Oyster but it would be pointless as you already have the 30% discount, so I don't think it would have any effect.
Incorrect!

The 16-25 Railcard now does give you discount on individual journeys outside of peak hours!!

Take it, and your oyster card to a popular station. If you're oyster is registered to you (fill out the form if you haven't!) you just ask the person at the counter to apply the discount from your railcard on to the oyster card.

--

If anyone has any other questions about this, just ask me. I've been using it for some years know and know quite a bit about the system!
Merk that Sike of a Mike
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you go to the local tube station with the two cards you can ask whoever's in the office to do it for you.
Zottula
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
Yup-weekly/monthly/annual pass. Personally I find the monthly one the most cost effective but that could just be me
Yeah I think I need to work out how much I am actually going to travel. Individual journeys cost the same on adult and student so it's a case of whether a pass card is necessary or not.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I think I need to work out how much I am actually going to travel. Individual journeys cost the same on adult and student so it's a case of whether a pass card is necessary or not.
Yup a student oyster does not give you discounts on individual journeys-your 16-25 card will if it's attached to your student oyster (off peak only though )

I'd say it's only worth getting a student oyster if you're gonna buy a weekly/monthly/annual pass. If not then just attach your 16-25 card to your normal oyster for off peak discounts on individual journeys.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.07%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (67)
30.59%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.87%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.22%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.48%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.37%

Watched Threads