Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    yeh having checked thr stats there are quite a few but about half the courses (slightly less than tha) have less than one applicant per place, the only other colleges to even have less than one applicant per place are st huges and pembroke, corpus christi n possibly a few i didnt pick up
    Those stats don't take open applications into account though.

ReputationRep:
    yeh having checked thr stats there are quite a few but about half the courses (slightly less than tha) have less than one applicant per place, the only other colleges to even have less than one applicant per place are st huges and pembroke, corpus christi n possibly a few i didnt pick up
    Where is your info from? The CCC Admissions Stats shows no subejct with less than 1.3 apps per place (average apps per place is about 3.6)

ReputationRep:
    obviously dont take into account open applications, otherwise there wouldnt be all that many people at hildas, no offence but for classics where there are 0.3 applicants per place at hildas u need a lot of people who hav an open applications who get placed at hildas, or people who get passed on tehre

as for corpus christi if you look at page 142 of the oxford prospectus 2005-6 it says there are 0.8 applicants per place for biochemistry. though its averaged over different years to the CCC website which accounts for the difference

ReputationRep:
    obviously dont take into account open applications, otherwise there wouldnt be all that many people at hildas, no offence but for classics where there are 0.3 applicants per place at hildas u need a lot of people who hav an open applications who get placed at hildas, or people who get passed on tehre

as for corpus christi if you look at page 142 of the oxford prospectus 2005-6 it says there are 0.8 applicants per place for biochemistry. though its averaged over different years to the CCC website which accounts for the difference
    Can you give me a link to that please (I'm not saying your wrong at all...I've just been looking for the stats in the 2005/6 prospectus and haven't been able to find 'em)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Can you give me a link to that please (I'm not saying your wrong at all...I've just been looking for the stats in the 2005/6 prospectus and haven't been able to find 'em)
    have the paper copy on page 142, i dont know if its online i havent seen it. but if u want any specifics i can give them 2 u

ReputationRep:
    have the paper copy on page 142, i dont know if its online i havent seen it. but if u want any specifics i can give them 2 u
    Ah fair enough. For some reason the online version doesn't have the stats at the moment, so was interested if they had been added. But I'm not deseperate for specifics.

Thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Ah fair enough. For some reason the online version doesn't have the stats at the moment, so was interested if they had been added. But I'm not deseperate for specifics.

Thanks anyway.
    i dunno if they're all that much use anyway, i mean im like ooh thats only got 1.0 i'll apply there wait.. i cant its for girls. n then ooh thats got 2 apply there oh cant had interview there last year, n then its like oh everyones gonna have this idea may as well just apply to balliol hehe

ReputationRep:
    i dunno if they're all that much use anyway, i mean im like ooh thats only got 1.0 i'll apply there wait.. i cant its for girls. n then ooh thats got 2 apply there oh cant had interview there last year, n then its like oh everyones gonna have this idea may as well just apply to balliol hehe
    You a biochemist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    You a biochemist?
    was a historian, now a PPEist. though first person on my dads side of the family in about 4 generations not to become a scientist/musician :rolleyes: what about u?

ReputationRep:
    was a historian, now a PPEist. though first person on my dads side of the family in about 4 generations not to become a scientist/musician :rolleyes: what about u?
    H&E=History&Economics.

So a bit like you in a way...

Am I right in thinking you are reapplying next year to Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    H&E=History&Economics.

So a bit like you in a way...

Am I right in thinking you are reapplying next year to Oxford?
    yup wasnt going to but then got offered a good job n thought heck why not take the gap year do some things that uve wanted 2 do but will never get around 2. plus i kinda started 2 think i actaully always wanted 2 do PPE but didnt want 2 apply for it as i failed AO Maths.

ReputationRep:
    yup wasnt going to but then got offered a good job n thought heck why not take the gap year do some things that uve wanted 2 do but will never get around 2. plus i kinda started 2 think i actaully always wanted 2 do PPE but didnt want 2 apply for it as i failed AO Maths.
    Aha.

Btw had you ever heard of H&E? I think it's a brilliant course, but hardly anyone seems to consider it. And given you were considering doing History, then changed to PPE, should be right up your street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Aha.

Btw had you ever heard of H&E? I think it's a brilliant course, but hardly anyone seems to consider it. And given you were considering doing History, then changed to PPE, should be right up your street.
    hehe 15% entrance requirements so although not many people think about doing it. its bloody difficult to get in2 plus u need maths a-level. im doing a certificate in maths with the open uni in my gap year (worth 60 credits so effectively half a years of degree) but dont think maths would be up2 scratch for the interview. plus long term career plans are to become a priest so philosophy wud b quite gd. if they did PPEH id b applying but not many places offer something like (some offer BA humanities or combined honoursbut they force you to specalise in years 2 or 3 and they dont like certain combinations) what college r u going 2 for it? im thinking about applying for a PPH

ReputationRep:
    yup i think the history tutors dont like the joint degrees so much as 33% get in for just history while most of the others langusih in 10s and 20s

ReputationRep:
    hehe 15% entrance requirements so although not many people think about doing it. its bloody difficult to get in2 plus u need maths a-level. im doing a certificate in maths with the open uni in my gap year (worth 60 credits so effectively half a years of degree) but dont think maths would be up2 scratch for the interview. plus long term career plans are to become a priest so philosophy wud b quite gd. if they did PPEH id b applying but not many places offer something like (some offer BA humanities or combined honoursbut they force you to specalise in years 2 or 3 and they dont like certain combinations) what college r u going 2 for it? im thinking about applying for a PPH
    I agree H&E is not easy to get into, not least because not many colleges do it - the college I applied to, Corpus Christi, will not be offering it next year so far as I know.

A priest eh? So much for the PPE steretype... (namely all obsessed with working in the City).

I don't know much about PPH's, but I think if you are interested in being a priest they may be right for you because some of them have a fairly strong religious ethos (though I'm not sure which ones).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    I agree H&E is not easy to get into, not least because not many colleges do it - the college I applied to, Corpus Christi, will not be offering it next year so far as I know.

A priest eh? So much for the PPE steretype... (namely all obsessed with working in the City).

I don't know much about PPH's, but I think if you are interested in being a priest they may be right for you because some of them have a fairly strong religious ethos (though I'm not sure which ones).
    hehe yup no PPE stereotype here. hopefully go to Harvard to an MPA in International Development, then go to the army for a few years to pay off my debts (had got it all signed up to join at 16 but mum wudnt sign forms) n then go back n do theology. army pay over 4 years works out over 21,000 over 3 years, a priest gets paid 16-18,000 roughly so am afraid will be poor for life, heck my school fees are more than what a priest gets paid

ReputationRep:
    hehe yup no PPE stereotype here. hopefully go to Harvard to an MPA in International Development, then go to the army for a few years to pay off my debts (had got it all signed up to join at 16 but mum wudnt sign forms) n then go back n do theology. army pay over 4 years works out over 21,000 over 3 years, a priest gets paid 16-18,000 roughly so am afraid will be poor for life, heck my school fees are more than what a priest gets paid
    You certainly couldn't be classified as stereotypical...not many priests/soldiers around (even fewer who've been to Harvard AND Oxford).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    You certainly couldn't be classified as stereotypical...not many priests/soldiers around (even fewer who've been to Harvard AND Oxford).
    welll probably end up being essex/lse or summat. i dont hold all that much hope for getting in nxt year, wat with not getting in this year n the introduction of tuition fees which will mean loadsa applicants nxt year, but its worth another go, n heck keeps my mother happy (she was more distraught than me this year, wanting to appeal)
    conversation went like this
    greg the letter from oxfords arrived
    go away its too early in the morning im tired
    greg come and open it or i'll open it
    fine open it then
    come down here and open it NOW
    ok fine, i didnt get in happy, im going back 2 bed
    oh my god, how did they not let you in, im going to ring and complain, why didnt they let you in, im going to appeal
    mum u cant appeal, otherwise everyone would
    well surely they let people who should have got in appeal, i dont expect people who didnt deserve a place to appeal just people like you
    ok mum you keep on thinking that

then it was becuase i didnt work hard enough, if id worked hard enough i would have got in. what did i wear to the interview? well if id dressed smarter i wojuld have got in. maybe i should have said how nice the interview people looked

then we're too rich to get in because they only accept poor people becuase thats what the labour government thinks, then we're too poor and you can only get in because only people who give money to oxford get in. it sucks being middle class it seems

ReputationRep:
    welll probably end up being essex/lse or summat. i dont hold all that much hope for getting in nxt year, wat with not getting in this year n the introduction of tuition fees which will mean loadsa applicants nxt year, but its worth another go, n heck keeps my mother happy (she was more distraught than me this year, wanting to appeal)
    conversation went like this
    greg the letter from oxfords arrived
    go away its too early in the morning im tired
    greg come and open it or i'll open it
    fine open it then
    come down here and open it NOW
    ok fine, i didnt get in happy, im going back 2 bed
    oh my god, how did they not let you in, im going to ring and complain, why didnt they let you in, im going to appeal
    mum u cant appeal, otherwise everyone would
    well surely they let people who should have got in appeal, i dont expect people who didnt deserve a place to appeal just people like you
    ok mum you keep on thinking that

then it was becuase i didnt work hard enough, if id worked hard enough i would have got in. what did i wear to the interview? well if id dressed smarter i wojuld have got in. maybe i should have said how nice the interview people looked

then we're too rich to get in because they only accept poor people becuase thats what the labour government thinks, then we're too poor and you can only get in because only people who give money to oxford get in. it sucks being middle class it seems
    Nothing like pushy parents eh?
    (I have a strong suspicion that, had I not got in, my mum would've torched the college)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Nothing like pushy parents eh?
    (I have a strong suspicion that, had I not got in, my mum would've torched the college)
    hehe i think she would have gone and shouted so much that it wud hav fallen down withiut needing 2 b torched. my dads not that fussed about it all, like i asked him for some advice about wat 2 do in gap year n its like oh umm i'll get bak 2 u, nxt day oh sorry been busy, n im like uh huh uve been messin about online but ok. my mum says shes not pushy, n i can go wherever i like for unviersity if it makes me happy (as long as its not manchester, essex, hull, etc etc)
    people say that state school kids shud b given an advantage, but i think i shuld. the amount of time i spend listening 2 my mum about everything is causing me serious pscyhologyical damage

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.