Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Maybe i'm not being profound here, But you are thinking about it in the wrong way... Ranking Colleges is truely pointless. When it comes to getting a job or Higher Degrees, they care about the marks - it's all the same university. While your here it's all just banter no-one actually cares about which college you are (unless they are really shallow hence not worth knowing - to the cambridge people who ranked the colleges - I worry about you) as they all have plus and minus points. It's not a numbers game, sure some have higher applications but let's be honest, admissions here is an interview situation, so think of it like an employer would.

They want the best people for the job and as a bonus people who'll make their place feel better. Colleges all have cultures. Visit the place if you can you are going to devote 3 years to there. Your interviewer will spend 1hr/30mins or so with you, more than any other university, they are making a better informed judgement than just your form - it's a two way process. - remember it's them who's going to be looking after you if they admit you. So they'll hope to get on with you at the interview. Don't forget most academics have other sides to their lives, so just because they may appear say 'old-fashioned', that they just want people like that, academia usu makes you very broadminded. (Also should add they ignore schooling, Social background as it's got nothing to do with your aptitude). It's in colleges interest to get the highests marks with the nicest people. That's the goal - pushing high academic standards higher.

If you can't visit. They've all written their prospectus entries etc in their style. Look at the Trinity College website and the College JCR or SU site, it's old fashioned and stuffy, just like the college. (Most people in Cambridge envy trinity's money, but not it's impersonal cold culture, Trin seem to belive that as they are so big it's impossible to avoid being impersonal, hmm... perhaps they should buy some coffee with their money and speak to the other people on their staircases. )

I'm actually at Homerton, one of the 'new' post 2001 generation. Not in the premier league for prestige (apart from in education), but there is so much more than than that to a college, it's a place thats changing quickly, about 70% Female and become the largest of the Cambridge colleges (600PG, 600UG - check the prospectus for details) This also means it's diverse in it's make up. Unlike the other larger colleges (esp. trin), there is a real sence of community, it's an everyone looks out for everyone style environment. It's a place full of genuinely kind, sincere personable people (due to the education heritage, how many devious cruel people go into education - anyway they tend to be obsessed with trivial things like prestige) but also you'll find them everywhere in the univerisity. The Union, The Stuent Newspaper, the Theatrical and other societies, even the sports teams. If you are a hermit, try trin or christs - this isn't the place for you.

We aren't as far out as girton, we're about the same as new hall/fitz just in the other direction. + There's now a free bus service that takes us to the various lecture sites in 5 mins. So we get up later than a lot of the more central colleges. Also it's not that poor in wealth. It's old-fashioned but with a throughly modern atmosphere. Almost all rooms are en-suite, all facilities (tennis courts, squash, football, hockey, dance studio, theatre, media lab, darkroom etc...) are on site, and we've a stuning Victorian Hall and all the old poncy other rooms you'd expect. Most important of all it's relaxed and responsive. We call the staff (even the head of the college) by their first name, and they actually really care about the students, unlike a number of colleges who pressure results ingoring welfare (you can tell those colleges as they need a 'suicide watch' during exam term - no joke)

I think Homerton's great, as do most people about their college. Most people like their college or end up loving it - or if they are in the minority that don't, they find people like them at the wider university and spend time with them. The point i'm getting at here is prestige is no indicator of the nature of the college. Remember it's the same university. Perhaps I would say that as I'm at a one of the less famous colleges, but at the end of the day I'm here. I can feel it at first hand.

So in summary, (sorry this has turned into an essay) I hope i'll illustrated that while 'prestige' may be a factor - college choice should be about more than that. Think about where you'd feel comfortable as a person, and the odds are the people who will like you will apply there, and also will be employted there, ergo, interviewing you. If you get it wrong, if you are bright enough (it's more than A-Levels or School background) for the course you won't be binned. They'll either accept you as getting a first/2.1 for that college irrespective is a good thing or they'll pool you. The academic/prestige standards between colleges are slim (10%ish between top and bottom of the tompkins table) - the attitudes and culture aren't.

ReputationRep:
    nice post

ReputationRep:
    I can't see the point of caring about how prestigious a college is. It doesn't matter, employers don't care which college you went too! They probable wouldn't even know the difference between colleges.

Please, go to the college you like best, not the one with the (supposed) best image.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    nice post
    Here, here.

( Or is it 'Hear, hear'? )

Here, hare, here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Here, here.

( Or is it 'Hear, hear'? )

Here, hare, here.
    I belive it's 'Hear, Hear' from the old 'Hear ye, Hear ye'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bob the dog)
    I belive it's 'Hear, Hear' from the old 'Hear ye, Hear ye'.
    Cool. I hope there's more people like you in Cambridge. Then I won't need to bring my copy of Brewer's.

Don't suppose anyone got the Withnail referrence?

ReputationRep:
    Cool. I hope there's more people like you in Cambridge. Then I won't need to bring my copy of Brewer's.

Don't suppose anyone got the Withnail referrence?
    what's the withnail reference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndiscoverdSelf)
    what's the withnail reference?
    Uncle Monty reads the note which the Poacher has attached to the Hare.

"Here, hare, here. .... Here, hare, here!"

ReputationRep:
    Uncle Monty reads the note which the Poacher has attached to the Hare.

"Here, hare, here. .... Here, hare, here!"
    groan :rolleyes: that's really rather poor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndiscoverdSelf)
    groan :rolleyes: that's really rather poor
    There's no such thing as a poor Withnail referrence!

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as a poor Withnail referrence!
    Nothing with Richard E. Grant in it could be considered poor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Man.... too many quotes, not enough context.

Suffice it to say anything involving washing up, wine, farmers, fish, anti-freeze, dolls-that-****-them-selves, weed, politics, london, scrubbers, homosexuality, poetry, the armed forces, Hamlet or the country which is mentioned after October shall be worthy of a quote or ten.

ReputationRep:
    Man.... too many quotes, not enough context.

Suffice it to say anything involving washing up, wine, farmers, fish, anti-freeze, dolls-that-****-them-selves, weed, politics, london, scrubbers, homosexuality, poetry, the armed forces, Hamlet or the country which is mentioned after October shall be worthy of a quote or ten.
    The country mentioned after October? :confused:
    I think I'm going to have to quote another well known sitcom and say "Que?"

ReputationRep:
    The country mentioned after October? :confused:
    I think I'm going to have to quote another well known sitcom and say "Que?"
    This Basil's Wife. This Basil. This slap-on-head.

Which is mentioned referred to the 'anything' at the start of the sentence. My syntax sometimes takes a while to decipher.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have the innate ability to completely confuse me.
    Perhaps my brain is frazzled after trying to learn speeches from Antony and Cleopatra, but I didn't get any of that :confused:

ReputationRep:
    How about 'Spiceworld: The Movie'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJ)

:eek: Please tell me you're joking!

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Please tell me you're joking!
    Sadly, no.
    Check this out:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJ)
    No that was Ricardo E Grantos, his evil Spanish twin.

God how I hate /him/!

ReputationRep:
    It must have been. It must have been {repeats her mantra until she believes it}

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.