Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sir Clive Woodward has declared that the recalled Henry Paul is ready for international rugby now.

Paul won a solitary England cap two years ago and was dropped after the defeat to France - England's last Six Nations loss.

But the New Zealand-born back is on the bench for the game against Italy on Sunday and Woodward has promised to base his team around Paul if he brings the Gloucester man on.

The former Wigan and Bradford rugby league star has impressed Woodward with his performances for Gloucester at inside centre this season.

"We picked him a couple of years ago, and it was too early for him," said Woodward.

"But if you look back, there was a complete spate of injuries to goal-kickers, so we had to take him off the bench. I didn't want to put him on that day, but people got injured and we had to.

"Yes, it was too early and it was tough for him, and I think that people do compare him to Jason Robinson, who took to the game like a duck takes to water.

"Henry has found it a little bit more difficult, but he is now playing well for his club and he has found his position, which is inside centre.

"If he comes on next Sunday, I will base the whole team around him. He will come on at 12, and Will Greenwood will move out if there is a need for change," added Woodward.

"We are very excited. We have got a lot of time for this guy, and it's the sign of a very solid character when it is not all going your way - and he has had a tough time in rugby union - but he has just battled on.

"I have watched him three times this season, and he was very good, and he is playing in a very good Gloucester team which helps him as well."

Hmm. I guess I was right then

ReputationRep:
    good player

ReputationRep:
    He isn't as good as the guys in possession, and Mike Tindall has to come back. Lets face it, he's only playing for England because he wouldn't get in the All Blacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    He isn't as good as the guys in possession, and Mike Tindall has to come back. Lets face it, he's only playing for England because he wouldn't get in the All Blacks.
    true

ReputationRep:
    He's overrated.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.