The Student Room Group

Father arrested for murder over knifing suspected burglar

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommyjw

Silly idiots need to learn what an assumption is, bless :rolleyes:. You can tell a lot of the people don't actually read English very well. Given i only asked one simple question :P

I guess one could say you brought all thar upon yourself? I people really are as stupid as you say surely you could have made clear your assumption from the beginning lest it seemed like a provocation?
Reply 241
Original post by knoxuk
Tommyjw, you are wrong - as per usual.

Occams razor states in this example that when looking at an article about such an event, where things are left out (because they are not relevant or not known
) that the logical position is to take the view with the least assumptions, that being the view that we only assume what we are given.

Thoughts? Or you just trying to add to the fun? :smile:
****yeah, throw in the word 'father'. Sneaky bias ftw.
Reply 243
Original post by Steevee
who's assumptions were right and who's were wrong?

lol.
Reply 244
Original post by Tommyjw
Oh really? So if i go to bbc news and find recent similar type events i wont find information such as this? I think you'll find i will :smile:

But yet again, you actually ignore the idea of Occams razor. But well done, third time now, :wink: . So please.. tell me, why do you continue to ignore it?
Do you need me to explain the concept any more to you? Its rather simple. but given you have outright ignored it given it goes against your view, i think it's more likely than not that you would just rather ignore it :smile:

Let me say it again. when going against competing assumptions, in this case, the logical approach is the approach which leads to the least amount of new assumptions. that is, given the information in the article, that the logical assumption is to assume things that were not included, were not relevant. It is literally as simple as that.

So i will ask the question in this way. Do you disagree with the concept that is occams razor, an established principle?

and yet again you resort to the childish things :smile:. Bless, literally like talking to a nursery child. It does not matter who is correct now, because at the beginning both sets were from the same article. You really hate to lose an argument dont ya?. Yes, your set of assumptions were right. but would i be shouting around if mine were? No. Because they were original assumptions used to create a discussion. It is literally irrelevant to this discussion what future articles stated. The mere fact you keep on relying on this point, whilst ignoring any point made about occams razor shows a great deal about how much of a failure you seem to be :smile:

Nope, putting words in my mouth.
I said there is no need to question it, as that is not the point of this thread. That yours was not the most logical assumptions given reasons stated and never said there could only be one. But thanks for lying (:

But Occams Razor is not applicable here, I have clearly demonstrated where I took my assumptions from, the assumptions may I add, that were proved correct. That is to say, the lack of detail was because the article was an intial report, not a full story, so to assume lack of detail was indicative of lack of evidence was presumptious and wrong. And futher from that, looking at recent cases in similar circumstances the outcome was as I assumed the outcome in this case would be. So you're constant going on about Occams Razor really has nothing to do with the situation.

If it doesn't matter who was correct, then can you just state it for me? Who's assumptions were correct. Mine, or yours? :cool:

Right then, I'm going to post this now, but give me 15 minutes to trawl back through your posts and I'll edit this with quotes where you have said, time and time again, that your assumption was better, more logical, that I should not question it etc.
What a cold hearted bastard. Anyone who can stab someone to death does not deserve to live in a civilised soceity imo.
Reply 246
Original post by Steevee
But Occams Razor is not applicable here, I have clearly demonstrated where I took my assumptions from, the assumptions may I add, that were proved correct. That is to say, the lack of detail was because the article was an intial report, not a full story, so to assume lack of detail was indicative of lack of evidence was presumptious and wrong. And futher from that, looking at recent cases in similar circumstances the outcome was as I assumed the outcome in this case would be. So you're constant going on about Occams Razor really has nothing to do with the situation.

Yes it is applicable here. Why is it not? You state no reasons against it. It essentially applies to any situation.

So again, i will ask. Why does it not apply? Instead of saying 'hurr duur it doesnt apply here'. Provide me logical explanation backed up with proof why it does not apply. Occams Razor applies to any situation with competing hypothesis that are equal in other respects (such that we both had the same article) and selecting the one that made the least assumptions.
Thus, given the article. Using only what the article provides and does not provide but would provide had it been known, is using less assumptions that assuming things that are not there.

Simple as that really :smile:
Reply 247
[QUOTE="Tommyjw;34142825"]Yes it is applicable here. Why is it not? You state no reasons against it. It essentially applies to any situation.

So again, i will ask. Why does it not apply? Instead of saying 'hurr duur it doesnt apply here'. Provide me logical explanation backed up with proof why it does not apply. Occams Razor applies to any situation with competing hypothesis that are equal in other respects (such that we both had the same article) and selecting the one that made the least assumptions.
Thus, given the article. Using only what the article provides and does not provide but would provide had it been known, is using less assumptions that assuming things that are not there.

Simple as that really :smile:[/QUOTE

How you are trying to apply it does not work in this situation. See you arr accusing me of assuming more than you, when infact I was taking into account more than you to make my assumption, and was working from a far more logical basis.

When 'initital reports' come out, they are sparse on detail, always, therefore it is illogical to assume that any detail not in that report did not happen. Upon comparing reports of similar incidents you see that the result is as I assumed it to be in this case. Therefor you shouting 'Occams Razor!' is meaningless, I have assumed nothing extra, rather worked from a logical standpoint to my assumption using more than a single first gasp article. It's this little thing known as wider context and so forth.

And you always accuse me of missing things and glossing over them, which I deny. So here, come now, don't be a hypocrite. Don't ignore this. Who assumed correctly? You, or I?
Reply 248
How you are trying to apply it does not work in this situation. See you arr accusing me of assuming more than you, when infact I was taking into account more than you to make my assumption, and was working from a far more logical basis.

Yes it does work in this situation. That is not debatable.
You assumed more than i did. I was not given information, so did not use it. You assumed this information, that we were not given, still applied. It's not that hard to understand.

When 'initital reports' come out, they are sparse on detail, always, therefore it is illogical to assume that any detail not in that report did not happen

Nope. Wrong. It is more illogical to assume things not stated were involved. As shown by occams razor.

Upon comparing reports of similar incidents you see that the result is as I assumed it to be in this case. Therefor you shouting 'Occams Razor!' is meaningless, I have assumed nothing extra, rather worked from a logical standpoint to my assumption using more than a single first gasp article. It's this little thing known as wider context and so forth.

Wow you completely do not understand the concept of occams razor do you? :facepalm2:

Me - What was said in the article is it, for the purpose of my discussion, thus i make no further assumptions other than what is given.
You - what is not stated is still applicable, thus you assume everything that was not included.

Quite a simple idea, please keep up.

And you always accuse me of missing things and glossing over them, which I deny. So here, come now, don't be a hypocrite. Don't ignore this. Who assumed correctly? You, or I?

Like i have said, you :facepalm2:. Like i have also said, that is irrelevant :smile: IF i was correct, it would not matter, as this discussion is not about that. But, if this is the only thing you can rely on whilst ignoring occams razor, keep going if you must :smile:

Now please, post something intelligent rather than dismissing everything against you, it is getting boring now.
How has tommyjw got so much positive rep? Is TSR full of lefties?
Reply 250
Original post by Tommyjw

You assumed more than i did. I was not given information, so did not use it. You assumed this information, that we were not given, still applied. It's not that hard to understand.

Actually, you were not given information (non violence, no weapons etc.) but you did use it. Sound stupid? It was.

Original post by Tommyjw

Nope. Wrong. It is more illogical to assume things not stated were involved. As shown by occams razor.

No, it's not.

Original post by Tommyjw

Now please, post something intelligent rather than dismissing everything against you, it is getting boring now.

Haha, you have been doing this since the start of the thread and you started it, why don't you take your own medicine and admit you were wrong. Maybe start with how you were completely wrong with hindsight and then move on to how your initial assumptions were worthless subsequently..
Even if somebody broke into my house unarmed, I'd be really frightened - they'd probably easily overpower me and make off with most of my family's belongings that they worked hard to get.

Sorry, but if you are going to be as stupid as to break into someone's house, you must be prepared for consequences. People aren't going to say "Righto, on you get then, better luck with Mrs. Applewhite up the street!"

Homeowners have the right to defend their family and homes against intruders - if people don't like it, then don't break into people's houses. Simple.
Reply 252
Original post by Chrrye
Actually, you were not given information (non violence, no weapons etc.) but you did use it. Sound stupid? It was.

I'm sorry to embarrass yourself, but you make no sense :smile: How cute. Now, please go google occams razor, learn something, and come back :smile:. Thanks bro.

No, it's not.

Oh yes because 'no it's not' is a valid argument against an established principle :rolleyes: . so cute .

Haha, you have been doing this since the start of the thread and you started it, why don't you take your own medicine and admit you were wrong. Maybe start with how you were completely wrong with hindsight and then move on to how your initial assumptions were worthless subsequently..

Naww the cuteness remains. Bless =]

Care to actually say how my assumptions are wrong, and say how the principle of occams razor is one big conspiracy , a lie, and is completely wrong? :smile:. Given the principle stands by my view, or are all your boring 'no you are wrong' arguments with no evidence or substantiation going to keep coming?

Once again, for the very simple minded against you.
When given a set piece of information. It is illogical to assume things that are not told.

Simple enough for ya babes?
Listen the law here has the potential to be very simple. If you break into somebody's house then the owner should have the right to kill you. That's all. I don't care who it is...young/old, black/white, strong/feeble, man/woman, able-bodied/disabled...they're all fair game. These robbing vermin will then know that whenever they break into somebody's house they run the risk of death...in the same way they run the risk of instant pulverisation if they try to cross a motorway. I don't care if they're 13 or 83 - in the heat of the moment you haven't got time to evaluate the bloody situation - you're too busy loading your shotgun, or reaching for the cricket bat. I've got no time for the liberal worms who would defend these people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending