Combined honours degrees??

Watch
This discussion is closed.
edufly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Are these degrees valued and respected much by employers?

I have applied for Geograhpy and Economics BSC and I am not sure how highly respected it is by firms (banks etc).

I remember my careers advisor saying it would mean I couldn't go into a career as an economist but apart from that I beleive it does open many doors career wise.

Although if I found out it would be better pursuing a single honours degree (geog or econ) then I could change after the first year.

What do you think of combined honours degrees??
ruthbutton
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Are these degrees valued and respected much by employers?

I have applied for Geograhpy and Economics BSC and I am not sure how highly respected it is by firms (banks etc).

I remember my careers advisor saying it would mean I couldn't go into a career as an economist but apart from that I beleive it does open many doors career wise.

Although if I found out it would be better pursuing a single honours degree (geog or econ) then I could change after the first year.

What do you think of combined honours degrees??

i think they are fine, but you should probably be prepared to do some more study after eg professional exams or conversion course
edufly
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Can anyone else help me out here aswell regarding my combined honours degree and employability levels/career options ?
big mama
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Can anyone else help me out here aswell regarding my combined honours degree and employability levels/career options ?
I think combined is fine - in some ways better than single because it shows you are not one track. You can become a professional economist with joint honours although maths is a big help. Your personality, class of degree (and maybe uni) are probably more important in the jobs market than combined vs single honours.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (211)
60.11%
No they should not (102)
29.06%
Abstain (38)
10.83%

Watched Threads