sundus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
what is spatial analysis or spatial relations related to geography?

also what are the qualities of a good geographer? what should a good geographer understand? im so confused with this geographic stuff that i have to do for school. I HAVNT DONE THE GEOGRAPHY GCSE so im completely lost and i literally have never done proper geography for me to understand what on earth im doing for the AS course. (it was my second choice and it seemed like something interesting to do but im confused HELLLPP!!! im not gonna change cuz i already aid for so much resources and stuff:eek::eek::eek::eek:!!)
clareramos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
that sounds like GIS (Geographical Information Systems/Science) I'm not an expert on it. There may be other people on here who know more about it.
daffdy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Spatial analysis is a fairly simple idea - it's just looking at how something changes over an area or 'space'. An example would be looking at how and why crime rates vary in a city. The complicated bit is doing the spatial analysis, which is where GIS can come in. Usually you would use a computer program to display several datasets on a map and / or use some statistics to work out how well the data is 'correlated', to tell you how important the link between crime and, say, poverty is.

And don't worry! Geography is a pretty approachable subject, so much so that some unis (like mine) don't even require A-Level geog to study it - so you can do it.
clareramos
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
GIS isn't used a huge amount in A Level, and you never get questioned on it. They just like to have it in there. I know the program that my college use is very basic, and we actaully have one of the ICT teachers teach it to the kids as they know about it more, they used to work in GIS so it's easy for them.
Anythingoo1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Being good with colours and maps ^^

Sorry, had to be said

-J
oneperson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To add to what should a good geographer understand, I'd say asking who, what, when, where, why, how, , are pretty important.
Deflame
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don’t stress always reread questions you don’t understand ask a classmate , friend or family member for help and last but not least ask a teacherResearch everything that you know will pop up in your exam revise during break time lunch time or form time but don’t study too hard you need to have some fun too 👍👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads