Suggest books on the Napoleonic Wars? Watch

PieEatingHorses
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Anyone who could suggest me some books on the napoleonic wars or the events leading up to it?

If you suggest a book please put the author, and book name.
Thank you.
GBseafire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've heard that " 1812: Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow " by Adam Zamoyski is good.
In terms of books ive read, even though its Historical Fiction, the "Sharpe" series of novels by Bernard Cornwell are really good for getting the atmosphere of being a skirmisher in the Peninsular War, and the stories are brilliant...
michaelhaych
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You could always read "War and Peace". It's fictitious but it covers many of the main events of the Napoleonic wars with particular focus on Napoleon's invasion of Russia. It also gives a pretty good account of the Russian opinion towards Bonaparte as the war progressed.

Not to mention it being one of the greatest works of literature ever produced.
Belizibub
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by michaelhaych)
You could always read "War and Peace". It's fictitious but it covers many of the main events of the Napoleonic wars with particular focus on Napoleon's invasion of Russia. It also gives a pretty good account of the Russian opinion towards Bonaparte as the war progressed.

No you can't it's not an accurate history treatise of the time... albeit small parts. But I agree it's a great book for pure literature.

1812; Napoleonic march on Moscow, is pretty good.
The campaigns of Napoleon by David.G Chandler is also worth a read.
Patriot Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I read "War of Wars" by Robert Harvey which gives a pretty good account of 1793-1815 over 800 pages, which seems long but is covering a very busy time period. It's not excessively heavy reading,, but is a good starting point before studying any particular parts of the wars in depth.
Historophilia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GBseafire)
I've heard that " 1812: Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow " by Adam Zamoyski is good.
In terms of books ive read, even though its Historical Fiction, the "Sharpe" series of novels by Bernard Cornwell are really good for getting the atmosphere of being a skirmisher in the Peninsular War, and the stories are brilliant...
Agreed about '1812', very good book.
Historophilia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Belizibub)
No you can't it's not an accurate history treatise of the time... albeit small parts. But I agree it's a great book for pure literature.
To understand Russian History you have to read it's literature as it is a fundamental part of the way it views itself, the book tells you so much about the way that Russia saw itself in the aftermath of the Napoleonic wars, the cultural changes it underwent and the development of a new style of Russian nationalism and the beginning of it's drift away from Europe as the ideal standard of culture.

I would heartily recommend it to anyone wishing to understand post-1812 Russia, just as much as I would recommend 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich' to anyone wishing to understand the Gulag's in 20th century Russia.
TDChattell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PieEatingHorses)
Anyone who could suggest me some books on the napoleonic wars or the events leading up to it?

Thank you.
"The First Total War" - David Bell

Brilliant read.
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PieEatingHorses)

Thank you.
The Sharpe Series by Bernard Cornwell is historical fiction but the events behind it are all true.

He's also done some non fiction, like "Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies, and Three Battles by Bernard Cornwell"
Wolfram Alpha
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by michaelhaych)

One of my favourite books of all time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.64%
They might tell the bully (22)
10.43%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
17.06%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
35.07%
There's nothing they could do (65)
30.81%

Watched Threads

Latest