Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am an IT student that want to venture into computer programming. Which of the languages is best for me to start with. And how do I start using it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jettaud)
    I am an IT student that want to venture into computer programming. Which of the languages is best for me to start with. And how do I start using it.
    Without a doubt C.
    :cool:

You can get a copy of Microsoft VC++ which is the best compiler for Windows or Borland Builder; if you are going to program in Linux then you only need gcc which is Open Source.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, throw him in at the deep end .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jettaud)
    Lisp, preferably scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Lol, throw him in at the deep end .
    I think that C\C++ is the best high level language and the best learning method should be learning first structured programming with C and then learning the OOP paradigm with C++.

By the way your signature is absolutely right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Idol)
    I think that C\C++ is the best high level language and the best learning method should be learning first structured programming with C and then learning the OOP paradigm with C++.

By the way your signature is absolutely right
    Hehe, it was one of the quotes from this forum. Why not get him to start with Java? No scary stuff like pointers or multiple inheritance!

ReputationRep:
    I think C is a good language to start with because it gets you into good habbits however it dosn't teach you stuff like strings.

A lot of people say Pascal or Liberty Basic is a good place to start, Pascal is better than Liberty Basic. I just feel C may be a little bit confusing for the absolute beginner.

Blitz Basic is a fun langauge to start learning with however I think it will just teach you too many bad habbits such as GOTO.

I learned on a Commodre 64 which had somthing like 38K of spare memory to run your programs on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Hehe, it was one of the quotes from this forum. Why not get him to start with Java? No scary stuff like pointers or multiple inheritance!
    Java is probably a good language to start from actually. Its fun and it dosn't teach you the bad habbits, its also similar and easy than C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Java is an interpreted language in part
    The more power is better, you don't need to use pointers but if you know how to use them is better and multiple inheritance isn't in C which I said to use at the first step.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I think C is a good language to start with because it gets you into good habbits however it dosn't teach you stuff like strings.

A lot of people say Pascal or Liberty Basic is a good place to start, Pascal is better than Liberty Basic. I just feel C may be a little bit confusing for the absolute beginner.

Blitz Basic is a fun langauge to start learning with however I think it will just teach you too many bad habbits such as GOTO.

I learned on a Commodre 64 which had somthing like 38K of spare memory to run your programs on.
    Strings are arrays of bytes finished with zero, at least in x386...
    C\C++ respresents bytes as char.

Pascal is the anti-language ... al the basic stuff is almost useless ...

ReputationRep:
    And I forgot the MOST important thing if that guy wants to be a REAL programmer, REAL applications are written in C\C++ which is the industry standard.

If you know C++ you can learn Java in one afternoon or two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Idol)
    Java is an interpreted language in part
    The more power is better, you don't need to use pointers but if you know how to use them is better and multiple inheritance isn't in C which I said to use at the first step.
    Oops, sorry.. thinking C++ and OOP.

ReputationRep:
    try downloading robocom, its basically a game of programming robost to attack others using virii and stuff. It teaches you good habits, like commenting in your programming so you can follow through at a later time. its not too hard and it'll get you started.

then you kan move onto harder stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I think java is a good language to learn in as it stops the programmer from going too wrong - e.g. Sets unassigned attributes to null and throws exceptions unlike C\C++ ands its resonably easy to move from java onto C - Similar syntax

Whatever u choose, definetly choose an object oriented language

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree; my advice is to start with a structured language (C) and when you already know it then learn the OOP paradigm (C++).

And whenever you feel strong enough learn assembly, the real deal about programming.

Regards,
    Mariano.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.