The Student Room Group

Best place for a £200 interview suit

Best place for a suit around this price range?

I'm currently looking at T.M.Lewin, then I hear apparently M&S suits are better quality, then Burton & Next pop up which surprises me.

Where's best for a good quality well fitted suit around this price?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£200 for a suit your going to wear for just for an interview :| madness!!
Reply 2
Original post by Cupid Stunt

I'm currently looking at T.M.Lewin, then I hear apparently M&S suits are better quality, then Burton & Next pop up which surprises me.

Have you tried Moss Bros?

They seem pretty popular in Cambridge (although that could be because they have a shop there... :p:).

EDIT:

yeebz93

It's up to OP what he spends his money on. A well-fitting suit is an investment - he'll be wearing it to more than this one interview. :wink:

That said, I got a decent two-piece suit from Tesco for £70...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
River Island had some nice suits at that price last time I went in.
Reply 5
M&S are the BEST!!! I actually bought a £220 jacket from them for 15p inc p&p I guess they really wanted to get rid of stock o.o
Reply 6
M&S is pretty good.
Reply 7
I'd avoid Moss Bros, when I went in there the guy had no idea what he was talking about and was trying to get me to buy a horrible shiny thing that definitely did not fit.
M&S had little in the way of full wool suits in the colour I was after (dark grey), though you might find just the thing in there.
I went with a suit from TM Lewin in the end - the staff were very helpful, they do jacket sizes at every inch and adjust the trousers to match your inseam and the suits are good quality for the money. I'd definitely recommend them. Avoid high street fashion shops i.e. River Island, Topman etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8

Best bet is to look at M&S, John Lewis, TM Lewin, Debenhams--you might have to shop round some. The crucial thing is to get a jacket that fits in the shoulders. You can take the suit to a tailor and get it adjusted, which will make it look *much* sharper, as you'll get a better fit. Fit is such an individual thing that there's no "one size fits all", and we can't really suggest where you'll find the best suit for you.

I'd also note that £200 isn't that much money for a suit, and if you're interviewing for graduate jobs you'll wear it plenty. You'll also need it when you actually start work.

Make sure you have a suitable shirt and tie, and good shoes (and a tin of polish for them).
Reply 9
Thanks, I guess I'll target TM Lewin & M&S firstly so I get a feel of things, it seems people generally recommend these two places.

Original post by yeebz93

It's pretty cheap if I get the job. :wink: Plus I'll be wearing it everyday so it'll tie me over till I can get a few nicer suits.
Got mine for about £69 from Burton. People think it's much more expensive than that, I have no idea why, I think it's nothing special but whenever I wear it people seem impressed by it.

Though I would love an expensive suit just for the feeling of wearing something so expensive.
Reply 11

£240 with a cheeky 17% discount thrown on from TM Lewin. It's a two-piece. :smile: Very happy and needed a quick buy before Friday. Now for a new shirt and tie.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12

£240 with a cheeky 17% discount thrown on from TM Lewin. It's a two-piece. :smile: Very happy and needed a quick buy before Friday. Now for a new shirt and tie.

I'd go Charles Tyrwhitt for shirts over TM Lewin, at least in the non-iron range.
Original post by POWW!
I actually bought a £220 jacket from them for 15p inc p&amp

wow, now THAT is madness! How did you manage to get that? Was it frm their own official site?

Looks like a good buy!
Reply 15
Original post by freedomhunter
wow, now THAT is madness! How did you manage to get that? Was it frm their own official site?

Yh it was from there website I found it on HotUKdeals It happened straight after there sale and everything was gone within 10 mins so I just chose my size and put it in my basket :biggrin: apparently it happened last year but not sure about that.
Reply 16

M&S
John Lewis
Debenhams

All have good suit ranges

NOT NEXT! They're to fixated on the fashion and brand :mad:

I don't think burton are that good either for similar reasons. I bought my £95 suit jacket from Debenhams, they had a good range well into and above your own price range. Is it a two peice or three peice suit your after?

I like John lewis also because of it's reliable quality. I tend to trust i'm getting a good product from there in light of known brands I've seen in their stores.

An outside one is TK max, I've seen a couple of very nice suits in there, but they're few and far between. There was a very nice suit RRP £475 going for £80 but it was size 42 =( 100% wool exterior, 80% polyester 20% viscose lining... aah well.
Reply 17
I'd reccomend checking out some outlet stores, think Bicester Village or Jaeger outlet stores, i've picked up 600/700 suits reduced to 200 or so before.

Also, as mentioned, TM Lewin isn't bad
TM Lewin or Jaeger when on sale

Good quality and good customer service
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
£200 is pretty cheap for a suit. If you can extend your budget to around £250-£300 you can get some quality suits in sales.

Moss Bros is a good place to start, I managed to pick up a 100s Super Wool CK suit from there that fits like a glove, got hemming and sleeve shortening for free for £275 reduced from £375. You can't really go cheap on suits without getting a polyester pile of crap, a good suit will last for years so may as well get a good one.

EDIT: Oh wait you are sorted, nevermind. I blame that bish before me for bumping.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest