The racist incident we all missed Watch

This discussion is closed.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Newspapers dont tend to go down that route anymore especially after the Burnely 'race' riots, when after the investigation it was found that the whole incident was started by a non racist motive.
O.k. So there is no way for us to know whether or not the attack was racially motivated or not then. Fair enough.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
That is pretty sick if it was racially motivated, but what concerns me is that certain members here wouldn't speak out against a group of Whites attacking a different minority.
Yeh....sure. Howls of disgust you'd hear from every corner.
Howard
Rep:
?
Always jumping to use the "R" word.
Oh fuc*. You guys are expert at it.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Yeh....sure. Howls of disgust you'd hear from every corner.
You wouldn't speak out. So I'm kind of worrying over the level of hypocrisy on show.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh fuc*. You guys are expert at it.
Nah. We show restraint.
Howard
Rep:
?
(Original post by viviki)
So if it was the other way round and it was a gang of white kids beating up an asian you wouldnt assume it was racist?
They'd be adamant it was a racist attack however slight the proof to this effect.
Howard
Rep:
?
You wouldn't speak out. So I'm kind of worrying over the level of hypocrisy on show.
How the fu*k do you know?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
O.k. So there is no way for us to know whether or not the attack was racially motivated or not then. Fair enough.
Thats the whole point. The reason why there was fighting in Burnley was due to a drugs deal which went sour and 'teritorry' between a white drug gang and an asian one. If the fighting had been between just asians or just whites it wouldnt have got past the Lancashire Evening Telegraph. But of course the media circus rolls in because there is a hint of 'racism' and gives Burnley a bad name.

They forgot to announce on BBC news that it turned out not to be racially motivated at all. How strange.
Howard
Rep:
?
Nah. We show restraint.
You just stated that I wouldn't speak out if the situation was reversed. Doesn't that imply you think I'm a bit of a racist even if you didn't have the stomach to say so much? Restraint?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You just stated that I wouldn't speak out if the situation was reversed. Doesn't that imply you think I'm a bit of a racist even if you didn't have the stomach to say so much? Restraint?
I wouldn't go so far as to call you racist, but you are showing prejudice tendancies.
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
here's the deal. There is no way that we kan know at this moment in time wether it was a racially motivated attack or not, but there are some things here to consider.

See, i agree with some of the things people have said here.
The likeliness of the "Asians" beating a fellow asian to this severity is very low. Especially for a mobile phone theft. I mean, if their friedn was severly beaten up then maybe they would, but for a petty theft such as this i don't think so. People do not beat up people from thier own race, especially when the race is an ethnic minority in that region.

That said, i think that initially the attack was not racist, however, because the victim was of a different racial background to the perpetrators, the attackers would have felt more angry, and hateful towards this person for the said reason above. Anoh=ther thing to consider, is that they beat up this kid, even though he didn't 'jack' thier phone, (thats what we know from the newspaper, for all we know he could have commited other crimes).

so all in all, we kannot condem this attack as purely racially motivated, but we kan say that race had something to do with the severity of the attack.
Howard
Rep:
?
I wouldn't go so far as to call you racist, but you are showing prejudice tendancies.
No I'm not. I'm just posting an article about a white boy that got killed by a bunch of asians. If I'd posted an article about an asian lad that got killed by a bunch of whites you'd be licking my balls in appreciation for bringing it to your attention.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They'd be adamant it was a racist attack however slight the proof to this effect.
I agree with you on this, if there is there slightest mention of a white person fighting an asian its racism but if its the other way round noone bats an eyelid. I agree that racism does exist but I think that people jump to conclusion and the term racist is used far too frequently. For example on threads here if someone so much as questions the vaidity of islam someone implies they are racist.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No I'm not. I'm just posting an article about a white boy that got killed by a bunch of asians. If I'd posted an article about an asian lad that got killed by a bunch of whites you'd be licking my balls in appreciation for bringing it to your attention.
You're being incredibly judgemental. I'd just accept that I got it wrong, if I were you.

Even if that was true (which in my case, it isn't), it doesn't change the hypocrisy of your allegations.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree with you on this, if there is there slightest mention of a white person fighting an asian its racism but if its the other way round noone bats an eyelid. I agree that racism does exist but I think that people jump to conclusion and the term racist is used far too frequently. For example on threads here if someone so much as questions the vaidity of islam someone implies they are racist.
A complete illusion. You're seeing what you want to.
Howard
Rep:
?
You're being incredibly judgemental. I'd just accept that I got it wrong, if I were you.

Even if that was true (which in my case, it isn't), it doesn't change the hypocrisy of your allegations.
Well, you're not me are you?
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why? by pointing out that the situation would be regarded very differently if it was reversed and bringing it to our attention. How exactly is that either showing signs of being prejudiced or being racist?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why? by pointing out that the situation would be regarded very differently if it was reversed and bringing it to our attention. How exactly is that either showing signs of being prejudiced or being racist?
I base my views on more than just one thread.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, you're not me are you?
Brushing aside the hard facts.
Howard
Rep:
?

****i* judgmental? You tell me I am demonstrating prejudice tendancies and I'm hypocritical and you have the audacity to call be judjmental. Listen to yourself!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.48%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
41.19%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.33%

Watched Threads