BorisMalden
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Now I hate to ever agree with the comments on the Daily Mail website, but on the subject of gypsies/travellers, I can't help but be opposed to this 'way of life'.

To me, as a community they seem to have a complete disregard for British law. Although this is not always the case, they often set camp on private land without the owner's permission. Whether or not you agree with the concept that land is a commodity to be bought or sold, the fact remains that such a law exists in the UK, and this community often deliberately breaks it.

There are also the largely reported social problems from the community. I can't say I know for sure to what extent this is true, but there have been reports of illegal activities such as bare knuckle-boxing, dog fighting, and so forth. They are also linked with other 'petty' crimes, most commonly theft. Another issue is that the sites they leave are often reported to be filthy, with rubble, refuse, scrapped cars, and untreated sewage all left behind.

Now I'm not suggesting for one moment, that all travellers are like this - I'm sure most live law-abiding lives. But the most annoying thing, for me at least, is that we're reluctant to tackle the lawlessness because as soon as any attempts are made to do so, they'll play the discrimination card. To use an example from Dale Farm, the signs saying 'Stop the raceist eviction', and the UN adviser likening the eviction to ethnic cleansing in China and Zimbabwe. Surely though, this has nothing to do with ethnicity, just the enforcement of the law?

So do these people really have no desire to make any contribution to the country they live in, or am I completely misreading the community?
NW86
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They steal tarmac and keep slaves.

Enough said.
cactusfish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by midpikyrozziy)
tl;dr I f*cking hate pikeys

Aaaaaand suddenly the idiotic OP makes sense
DesignFreak
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They've been stealing train tracks around here, They also go around screaming "ANY OLD SCRAP" at 6AM in the morning via megaphone.

They also let their horses run wild around the estate.
Ah, Newport.
Steezy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You tell 'em OP!!

No really.... Go and tell them.
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bunch of travellers (including little kids - you could see it in the CCTV) stole lead tiling from a war memorial my dad had only just begun to renovate at great personal expense and effort. The lead was also bolted down with a new mechanism specifically designed to stop people stealing it! These people are professional thieves, they knew exactly where to go and what to do.

Fortunately they didn't think that my dad would put indelible security ink all over it. Quite literally caught red-handed. Or purple-handed, actually, as it shows up under UV.
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Firstly. None of this really relates to gypsies at all, just travelers.

To me, as a community they seem to have a complete disregard for British law. Although this is not always the case, they often set camp on private land without the owner's permission.
You mean like 'normal' people (for want of a better word?. Ya know.. some agree to laws, some don't, some trespass, some don't?. So does that mean you hate the rest of the population too?

Whether or not you agree with the concept that land is a commodity to be bought or sold, the fact remains that such a law exists in the UK, and this community often deliberately breaks it.
Sure, but it isn't always illegal.

There are also the largely reported social problems from the community. I can't say I know for sure to what extent this is true, but there have been reports of illegal activities such as bare knuckle-boxing, dog fighting, and so forth. They are also linked with other 'petty' crimes, most commonly theft. Another issue is that the sites they leave are often reported to be filthy, with rubble, refuse, scrapped cars, and untreated sewage all left behind.
Yep, heard the same.

Also heard the same from a few streets away from me when from my home in Bristol. Things happen there what hap;pen here, except its in the media more due to the nature of who it is.

Now I'm not suggesting for one moment, that all travellers are like this - I'm sure most live law-abiding lives. But the most annoying thing, for me at least, is that we're reluctant to tackle the lawlessness because as soon as any attempts are made to do so, they'll play the discrimination card. To use an example from Dale Farm, the signs saying 'Stop the raceist eviction', and the UN adviser likening the eviction to ethnic cleansing in China and Zimbabwe. Surely though, this has nothing to do with ethnicity, just the enforcement of the law?
What that UN advisor said was ridiculous, firstly. I mean 'the council are breaking the rules, not the travelers'. I guess he ignores all the laws they broke? Oh well. And you are always, always going to get people protesting at.. anything. Cure to cancer found by testing on and killing 10 rats (imaginary, i know), you'd still have people complaining about animal rights etc.

Yes it is generalizing completely to say they are all rough law breaking people and such. But the general view seems to be that a greater minority of them do than in the general public.

So do these people really have no desire to make any contribution to the country they live in, or am I completely misreading the community?
Some don't some do i suppose.
DesignFreak
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
Fortunately they didn't think that my dad would put indelible security ink all over it. Quite literally caught red-handed. Or purple-handed, actually, as it shows up under UV.
Brilliant! Our lead from the porch got stolen the other week, although not by gypsies but by some local kids who then sell it on to the gypsies.
Aivicore
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The evictions aren't in any way racist. The same thing would happen if a bunch of other people were illegally living on someone else's land.

My dad works for an insurance company, and you wouldn't believe the amount of claims he gets for building with lead piping, steel struts - basically any sort of metal being plundered by 'travellers'.
There's another thing that bothers me. 'Travellers'. In what way do any of these people engage in any kind of actual travel other than when they relocate their caravan because the police have caught up with them?
They're not even proper gypsies. Racism is a problem for gypsies in countries like Hungary, where they physically stand out due to having darker skin, but gypsies in this country aren't actually a different race!!

I know that they get terrible coverage from the media and there's probably a ton of nice, normal, law-abiding gypsies in this country, it's just that I don't recall seeing any recently...
PAPAdawg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
when they squat on someone else's land and you're not able to get them to leave that is fairly annoying and i think anybody is entitled to feel slighted by that
RainbowDoll
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have seen a few where I live in Newcastle.
I have no clue where they are living though as I have never seen a gypsy/traveller site around here. I have seen them out with their horses on main roads blocking up traffic and stuff, and I see a lot of young gypsy/traveller girls in the shopping centre dressed like something from strictly come dancing.
PAPAdawg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
they're not a race anyway. it's not racism. the romanies are the race often CONFUSED with irish travellers, but actually they are not the same ethnic group. it's a misconception that the irish travellors are romany or gypsy.

Really, irish travellers are just irish chavs who left ireland. if you think it's racist then you need a reality check
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DesignFreak)
Brilliant! Our lead from the porch got stolen the other week, although not by gypsies but by some local kids who then sell it on to the gypsies.

Have to say that the whole rag'n'bone man thing and wild horses sounds like something out of the 30s . . . you sure that Newport isn't stuck in that rift from Doctor Who?
BorisMalden
Rep:
?
(Original post by cactusfish)
Aaaaaand suddenly the idiotic OP makes sense
Reference to a great movie, clearly not my actual opinion.
aliasunknown
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
my auntie works for trading standards and they have to go to appleby horse fair every year and seize tonnes and tonnes of fake goods including potties branded with "dior", as if they would make such a thing! it drives them mad as the travellers are usually aggressive and dont comply with the laws at all. They also cause a nightmare around appleby leaving horses and carriages everywhere and there is always around 50-100 arrests as extra police needed and they dont even pay for it! i dont have a problem with them at all when they are abiding by the laws but it seems that more often than not they dont.
DesignFreak
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)

Have to say that the whole rag'n'bone man thing and wild horses sounds like something out of the 30s . . . you sure that Newport isn't stuck in that rift from Doctor Who?
Haha! It's unfortunately true, although we have our good moments like when Doctor Who is being filmed around here.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Criminality should be dealt with in the appropriate way, by due process in the courts.

I don't have time for people who stereotype, but neither have I time for people who wilfully break the laws of this country and attempt to use 'culture' as a defense.
Shiny Happy Person
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think its very easy to generalize the community, as they are an easy target, and I think that whilst some deserve the rep they get, some must also be law abiding.

In terms of Dale Farm though, the UN representative's comments were a bit over the top, and massively biased against the council. And I thought the travelers in Dale Farm are Irish, and have no links to the traditional "Romany" gypsy, so they aren't really an ethnic group. I could be wrong, but I thought their way of life came from the old Irish "Tinker", an odd job man who would travel for work, meaning they aren't a definite race or ethnic group, IIRC.
BorisMalden
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tommyjw)
You mean like 'normal' people (for want of a better word?. Ya know.. some agree to laws, some don't, some trespass, some don't?. So does that mean you hate the rest of the population too?
Very true, but the point I was trying to make was that prosecution is much more difficult because of supposed racism. Non-travellers can be convicted much more easily, but if they try to do the same to a traveller, it's suddenly ethnically related, or failing to understand their 'culture'.

EDIT: Also, according to the ex-superintendent on that program on Channel 4 last night, in certain theft and deception related crimes, travellers make up about 70% of those committing the crimes, so a much higher incidence than with 'normal' people.
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Very true, but the point I was trying to make was that prosecution is much more difficult because of supposed racism. Non-travellers can be convicted much more easily, but if they try to do the same to a traveller, it's suddenly ethnically related, or failing to understand their 'culture'.
Ye, sure and that is a problem, i just don't ever want reasons for disliking them to be 'some of them commit crimes' and such which is the only reason i made the point
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
61.18%
No (33)
38.82%

Watched Threads