The Student Room Group

Gypsy/Traveller 'Culture'

Scroll to see replies

Farmers revenge
Original post by midpikyrozziy
EDIT: Also, according to the ex-superintendent on that program on Channel 4 last night, in certain theft and deception related crimes, travellers make up about 70% of those committing the crimes, so a much higher incidence than with 'normal' people.

I'll have a look. Just wonder if the police officer would have the balls to point out that gang rape is a very highly represented crime by black offenders what with the police's issues with race and all.
Reply 22
We have terrible problems with travellers around here due to the Dorset Steam Fair(which half the entire traveller population of the UK seems to attend). Last year they broke into a neighbouring farm and murdered about 1000 young pheasants, which was fairly catastrophic because the shooting industry plays a big role in the local economy. The worst part was they didn't even take half of them, just left their bodies there, and when the family came out to confront them about what was happening (they were standing there doing it brazenly in full daylight), they were threatened with baseball bats. I think the police were called but I don't know what was done about it in the end. At the same time a group of them had parked their caravans up on the side of this really old avenue of trees, and ripped out all the young saplings to make room for their 'encampment'. This year some of them broke open the gate to my granddad's field, came in, and refused to leave for about two weeks. The effect this had on him (having recently been discharged from hospital following two strokes), was horrendous.

It's events like these that make it extremely hard for me to sympathise with travellers, despite the fact that I obviously know full well that there must be thousands of decent ones out there.
Original post by Cochrane
This year some of them broke open the gate to my granddad's field, came in, and refused to leave for about two weeks. The effect this had on him (having recently been discharged from hospital following two strokes), was horrendous.

Little "piles" with loo roll left for him?
Apparently he dumped the caravan over the hedge onto the road
Reply 25
It's just a criminal culture.
Reply 26
Original post by midpikyrozziy
Now I hate to ever agree with the comments on the Daily Mail website, but on the subject of gypsies/travellers, I can't help but be opposed to this 'way of life'.

To me, as a community they seem to have a complete disregard for British law. Although this is not always the case, they often set camp on private land without the owner's permission. Whether or not you agree with the concept that land is a commodity to be bought or sold, the fact remains that such a law exists in the UK, and this community often deliberately breaks it.

There are also the largely reported social problems from the community. I can't say I know for sure to what extent this is true, but there have been reports of illegal activities such as bare knuckle-boxing, dog fighting, and so forth. They are also linked with other 'petty' crimes, most commonly theft. Another issue is that the sites they leave are often reported to be filthy, with rubble, refuse, scrapped cars, and untreated sewage all left behind.

Now I'm not suggesting for one moment, that all travellers are like this - I'm sure most live law-abiding lives. But the most annoying thing, for me at least, is that we're reluctant to tackle the lawlessness because as soon as any attempts are made to do so, they'll play the discrimination card. To use an example from Dale Farm, the signs saying 'Stop the raceist eviction', and the UN adviser likening the eviction to ethnic cleansing in China and Zimbabwe. Surely though, this has nothing to do with ethnicity, just the enforcement of the law?

So do these people really have no desire to make any contribution to the country they live in, or am I completely misreading the community?

I'd say on an individual scale they can contribute a lot and many are good people but as a whole they seem to have a disregard for our way of life whilst expecting us to embrace theirs. It's a hard thing to confront because most people don't want to offend anybody's culture but at the same time do you think maybe it's unfair that we're expected to be ok with things that really, aren't ok, just because the word 'culture' comes into it?
I saw a traveller guy on a programme last night saying something along the lines of "we take what we want and we do what we want, that's our god-given right, that's our culture. Always has and always will be"

'Nuff said really. That's not a culture - that's just criminality which they are trying to disguise as "culture" so our no-balls government won't do anything about it in case they are accused of "racism".
Agree totally with the distinction between Irish and Romany travellers. While there are obviously some law abiding Irish travellers, they're generally the ones that are more likely to be involved in living on illegal land (as Romany gypsies still generally travel) and the other negative acitivies associated with travellers. Romany travellers still travel and maintain a very traditional way of life. A lot of Romany travellers around us in Lincolnshire sharpen knives etc. for people in villages to earn money, interact with the community and always check with farmers before they leave their horses and caravans overnight. Some Irish travellers that live on a site nearby are usually the ones in trouble with the council. I know this something of a generalisation but it makes me sad when people talk about travellers negatively and don't make a distinction between the two groups.
(edited 12 years ago)
they have stupidly worse health than the general population, 4x the mortality rate, 4-6 rate of diabetes, die much, much younger.

for all those kids that are born into this culture, that's not their fault

yet on the other hands all my run ins with them have been as robbing thieving disrespectful *****, so I'm split on this one.
Basically. **** these people.
Original post by NDGAARONDI
I'll have a look. Just wonder if the police officer would have the balls to point out that gang rape is a very highly represented crime by black offenders what with the police's issues with race and all.

not really a similar comparison though is it. considering gypsy refers to a way of life rather than a race.
Can't we just keep them in caravans? Trust me you want to keep them there because imagine having them as your neighbour ( which I did for three years ) :/
Original post by bananaterracottapie
not really a similar comparison though is it. considering gypsy refers to a way of life rather than a race.

Okay then. Swap race to religion and replace the crime from gang rape to terrorism.
Bunch of poor uneducated criminals with a **** load of money as they pay no taxes and steal outrageously. Cause everyone trouble and are a bunch of losers.
Original post by Scarface-Don
Can't we just keep them in caravans? Trust me you want to keep them there because imagine having them as your neighbour ( which I did for three years ) :/

Some lived next to me for three years too. It was a nightmare, they should stay in their caravans.
Original post by cactusfish
Aaaaaand suddenly the idiotic OP makes sense :h:

What exactly has OP said which you object to?

???
Original post by Rananagirl
The evictions aren't in any way racist. The same thing would happen if a bunch of other people were illegally living on someone else's land.

My dad works for an insurance company, and you wouldn't believe the amount of claims he gets for building with lead piping, steel struts - basically any sort of metal being plundered by 'travellers'.
There's another thing that bothers me. 'Travellers'. In what way do any of these people engage in any kind of actual travel other than when they relocate their caravan because the police have caught up with them?
They're not even proper gypsies. Racism is a problem for gypsies in countries like Hungary, where they physically stand out due to having darker skin, but gypsies in this country aren't actually a different race!!

I know that they get terrible coverage from the media and there's probably a ton of nice, normal, law-abiding gypsies in this country, it's just that I don't recall seeing any recently...

LOL neither have I :s-smilie:
Reply 38
Gypsies should be the new entraprenuers, and get rid of those City slicker types! When you see the stuff they make money out of, it's breath-taking! Those snarling, spitting, swearing traveller women on tv, calling the council officials Hitlers and tyrants....yet at the same time they have captured homeless men and make them into slaves, skivvying and child-minding, while they go and make a bloody nuisance of themselves!

What other "ethnics" in this piss-stain of a country we've now got, could get away with capturing, buying and selling slaves? My Gggggooodd!!:eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Okay then. Swap race to religion and replace the crime from gang rape to terrorism.

I don't think it's any secret that the terrorist threats are mainly Islamic - the police would be quite happy to admit this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending