The Student Room Group

I like my best friend

Basically, I like my best friend. We talk to each other endlessly and she's recently broken up with her (as of two weeks ago) ex. I was the person she spoke to about the breakup and she has no idea. I really don't want to risk anything that we've got but at the same time I don't want to see this as a 'missed opportunity' as arsey as it sounds. The thing is she told me she's not really looking for another relationship right now and I don't know what to do.
Reply 1
Anyone? I'm in a similar situation and I'd quite like some advice too
Reply 2
I Phil Babb for you.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, I like my best friend. We talk to each other endlessly and she's recently broken up with her (as of two weeks ago) ex. I was the person she spoke to about the breakup and she has no idea. I really don't want to risk anything that we've got but at the same time I don't want to see this as a 'missed opportunity' as arsey as it sounds. The thing is she told me she's not really looking for another relationship right now and I don't know what to do.

immediately tell her that
you are my best best friend I have

:console:
Reply 4
2 weeks is too soon really, give it a while longer, but when you think she is over her ex you need to go all guns blazing because it's either that or eternal regret.
Reply 5
To be honest, I wouldn't advise it.

It would be really nice if you told her how you feel and she felt the same = happy ever after.

But it doesn't work that way. The fact that she finds you to be her best friend shows there is low/no attraction, just comfort. This, usually means that she probably doesn't feel the same way. But obviously, only you can determine this, does she give off any signals which could suggest otherwise?

If the friendship is 100% platonic, then I'm afraid you're stuck in the friends zone, where there is a slim chance of escaping.

You have three options;

1) Tell her how you feel if you think this will be reciprocated. But even then, give it some time before you do, since you don't want to end up being her rebound.
2) Determine the situation, if she does not give out signals that she is attracted to you and you still want try with her... then decrease comfort and escalate the attraction between the two of you.
3) Determine the situation, if she does not give out signals that she is attracted to you, then give up and move on.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending