lake district, peak district??? Watch

aaron1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hi i have just finshed my masters along with a 3 other of my mates. we all planned to go away after we finish. 2 of them have money troubles so not going to go abroad. im from london and want to go to either lake district or peak district have no idea which 1 to go 2 ( we going because of the lakes and moutains).
seaching online there are so many options n areas etc anyone got any advise who has been, a place maybe close 2 a town or village. plannig to go for 3-4 days.

just want a boys trip to chil n catch up, we have had our fun partying hard etc n just looking for somthing a little different.

anyy 1 got any advise?
rawkus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aaron1)
hi i have just finshed my masters along with a 3 other of my mates. we all planned to go away after we finish. 2 of them have money troubles so not going to go abroad. im from london and want to go to either lake district or peak district have no idea which 1 to go 2 ( we going because of the lakes and moutains).
seaching online there are so many options n areas etc anyone got any advise who has been, a place maybe close 2 a town or village. plannig to go for 3-4 days.

just want a boys trip to chil n catch up, we have had our fun partying hard etc n just looking for somthing a little different.

anyy 1 got any advise?
Are you staying in guesthouses or camping?
truechristian91
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would personally recommend lake districy but thats simply because generally it does have nicer weather.
dnumberwang
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aaron1)

anyy 1 got any advise?
Go to the Lake district because there are no mountains in the peak district.

I think technically there no mountains in England, but seriously, the Lake district does look quite nice while the Peak district is about as mountainous as a pancake.
SarahGrace92
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The peak district is nice! I did my duke of Edinburgh there. You could go to Buxton, bakewell, chatsworth.. Middleton.. Although I suppose the appeal of the lake district is the lakes..?
Me and my bf ride his motorbike around the peak district and we love it (even if it is a little middle aged )
If you do go to the lake district please go to dovedale, its absolutely amazing! It's near Ashbourne if you need references. Moutain biking through parts of the peak district is also awesome.
I've never realised until now I much I like the peak district.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Eskdale in the lakes is a favourite of mine. It's on the quiet (I.e. Slightly inaccessible) side of the national park so less rammed with tourists.
melodic-verse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Lake District easily

Much nicer and accessible and people here are lovely. The areas really quaint and Lake Windermere's pretty up there for stunning.

Loads to do if you ask around that dont have to cost a fortune either but something different like hiring boats, kayaks, canoes or go hiking up Scarfell

Ive been living in Bowness on Windermere for the last 2 months and its absolutely gorgeous =)
Are you guys planning to camp or stay in hotel/guesthouses/b&bs?
Only thing is that the lake district can be expensive
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SarahGrace92)
Me and my bf ride his motorbike around the peak district and we love it (even if it is a little middle aged )
If you do go to the lake district please go to dovedale, its absolutely amazing! It's near Ashbourne if you need references. Moutain biking through parts of the peak district is also awesome.
I've never realised until now I much I like the peak district.
Have you been to the tea shop at Wetton mill (Manifold valley)? It's quite popular with motorbikers and the middle aged.
mespannerhanz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i've visited both within the last year, tho not stayed in peak district.
they are both really pretty. lakes probably has more to do, and more variety. if you are happy just to hike/cycle, peaks is perfectly good for that. lakes has variety like the lakes - windermere and coniston are both good. we climbed catbells, near keswick, which was lovely.
peaks - hathersage has a decent youth hostel near to the train station if you need public transport. buses from hathersage to other places. edale is ok - kinderscout. fairly central. yeah as i said, lakes has more variety/nice tourism, peaks is more similar all over, in some ways.
Mr.Affable
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.hollowsfarm.co.uk/

I camped here a couple of months ago, absolutely stunning spot. Abundant in nature, isolated and yet only a short drive/bus journey from Keswick. Derwent water is great to walk around and the beginning of a hike up Englands tallest 'mountain' Scafell Pike is a 10 minute drive away.
It's cheap (£6 a night per person) and in an idyllic spot. Be prepared for wet weather though.
LouboutinLove
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From someone who lives in the Peak District (right near Kinder Scout), I would say go to the Lake District! I forget it's a holiday destination here because it's not all that exciting. We have lots of hills, and some very nice pubs (Old Hall Inn at Whitehough is amazing) And the Chatsworth estate is really nice, as is Bakewell but neither are particularly easy to get to on public transport. Apart from that there's not much else, and personally I would rather see lakes than hills, but that's just me. On the plus side, it hasn't rained much here this year though!

P.S Don't go to Buxton. They are hours of your life you won't get back.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LouboutinLove)

P.S Don't go to Buxton. They are hours of your life you won't get back.

:yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:
document35
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What about in terms food?

Lol I know I'm a few years late but I'm caught in the very same dilemma
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (150)
18.56%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.78%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed