Touch a kerb - instant fail?

Watch
RJ555
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've heard that touching a kerb even slightly in a test is classed as a serious fault, is this just a rumour and if not why is this exactly? I'm guessing its due to showing a lack of car control, but I still don't understand the severity of it.

There are plenty of minor faults that could be a lot more dangerous surely? Particularly since a kerb touch is more often then not going to be done when parking (i.e. at very low speeds)?
cranie1993
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
nope. i hit a kerb and passed. if you clip it whilst doing a manoevre it is just a minor, if you hit it hard, or hit it whilst driving normally it is a fail
Cuttlefish
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm not sure precisely, but if you can't keep a car on your side of the road then you definitely shouldn't be driving m8.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you touch the kerb whilst doing a manouvre then it's a minor, hit it hard / mount the kerb with one wheel is a major, if you scuff/hit the kerb whilst driving normally it's a major, and if you mount the kerb whilst driving then it's a dangerous and the instructor will stop the test and walk back to the center, leaving you parked by the road.
DOAADI
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Actually, it depends on the examiner and the interpretation of "being in control".

If you bump the kerb slightly just as you're stopping on the turn in the road, it'll quite probably be a driver fault. If you bump it slightly but have made no attempt to brake (i.e. you don't know where the kerb is or you forgot about it - that happens a lot with learners who are trying to remember what to do on a manoeuvre) then the examiner could easily consider it to be a serious fault. Do it going forwards AND backwards - you're in very dangerous territory.

If you slam into it too hard, it is most likely a serious because your speed control is no good.

On other manoeuvres or when pulling over it's much the same. However, if the contact could damage the tyres - which then becomes a safety issue - a serious fault is more likely.

So rubbing along the kerb when you stop could easily pick up a serious fault. And more than once just about guarantees it.

The best thing is not to touch the kerb.

If you do, don't assume you've failed (so you concentrate on the rest of the test), but just keep your fingers crossed at the end.

The only way you'd be able to draw up a reliable guide is if you could sit in and watch every single test where it happens and assess objectively what actually happened. When people fail their tests they're ready to blame anyone except themselves, and a "slight brush" in the failed candidates opinion might well have been a thump into the kerb in the examiner's eyes.

Judging from the state of some people's hub caps and alloys - and the number of people you see driving around obviously using their spare wheel - there are quite a few drivers out there who don't know the difference between a "slight brush" or "nudge" and a good old whack!

Just don't do it, but don't assume the worst if you do (unless it knocks a wheel off )
Persephone9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My instructor told me that it was, but I lightly scraped the kerb when I parked and still passed, so I'd say that Architecture-er is probably right.
Kim-x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
^ That's good as a rough guide but there is some discretion with it. Obviously you'll never get away with mounting a kerb but some people have been failed for touching it. I think that situation depends on how the examiner rates the rest of the drive.
DOAADI
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
People have gotten away with mounting it, I can assure you.

As I say, it's best not to do it (i.e. to touch it at all), but if the rest of the drive is good the examiner might use his or her discretion.

Just don't rely on it.
skunky x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
On my second test the examiner made me do a parallel park on a lower piece of kerb in a posh new housing estate. Shockingly I mounted the kerb.

And failed...
Bezzler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What my instructor told me is that it depends on the manoeuvre. In the three point turn, they're likely to fail you, though it depends on how hard you touch it. In the reverse around the corner and the parallel park, you're allowed to hit the kerb and say "sorry, I'm going to start again" and do it again.

It depends on the examiner to some extent; the best advice is avoid it!
philistine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not true. You can brush a curb side-on with absolutely zero repercussions. If you hit it directly causing a shunt of some sort, then you're ****ed.
KJane
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Normally a light touch is ok if you are doing a manoeuvre and as long as you are in control, mounting will fail you.

In my test I had to reverse around a corner, first try I was too wide and started doing it again, second time I hit the kerb lightly, thought I'd failed so just drove forward to straighten up and reversed back into place. I drove the rest of the test with a face like thunder because I was so sure I'd failed.

Pulled into the centre and the examiner told me I passed and said my manoeuvre went down as a minor because he said I drove so well in all my other areas. So I came out with 4 minors, so no you will not fail for hitting the kerb.
Historiana
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, that's definitely not a rumour. I failed my third driving test on touching a kerb in a three point turn, despite the fact no one was behind the car and I recognised what I'd done the instant I'd done it so pulled forward to correct it. Apparently, some examiners might give leeway on it but it depends on the circumstance and the person testing you. Officially though, it's meant to be classed as a major for losing control of the car (I think that's the section it's under on the test sheet).

It sucks, but you can see why it's a fail. If you're ready to pass your test, you should be a good enough driver or good enough at manoeuvres to know where the kerb is.

I was peeved at the time but hindsight tells me that even if I'd passed, I wasn't ready to drive alone.
Stragen91
Report 9 years ago
Only if you hit it hard so that you're a danger to yourself or others. I skimmed the kerb on mine but didn't fully whack it and it got marked down as a minor, so for just touching the kerb you won't fail, but if you smash into it you will fail.
mosmof
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bezzler)
In the reverse around the corner and the parallel park, you're allowed to hit the kerb and say "sorry, I'm going to start again" and do it again.

It depends on the examiner to some extent; the best advice is avoid it!
link?!
js374
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I drove up onto a curb in my test and still passed. I was getting out of the way of an ambulance at the time so in some cases it is permissible.

Do it without reason in normal driving and you should fail.
Bezzler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mosmof)
link?!
Remove the context and quote me asking for a link, seriously? I said at the beginning of my post, "according to my instructor" - how am I supposed to link you to that?
Nirgilis
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Touching it is only a minor on the most part. Slamming into it on the other hand, causing rubber to fly off every which way, is a fail, I can assure you that :emo: :getmecoat:
rachel.h
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As other people have said, I think it's at the discretion of the examiner.

My reverse round a corner was ridiculous and I was a mile away from the kerb when I'd finished and I scraped the kerb as I parked it in a bay. Passed though, first time too
Cabine Sono Qui
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RJ555)
I've heard that touching a kerb even slightly in a test is classed as a serious fault, is this just a rumour and if not why is this exactly? I'm guessing its due to showing a lack of car control, but I still don't understand the severity of it.

There are plenty of minor faults that could be a lot more dangerous surely? Particularly since a kerb touch is more often then not going to be done when parking (i.e. at very low speeds)?
Nope. I hit the curb when the instructor asked me to pull over, but I still passed - it was just a minor. I thought I'd failed the moment I hit it, but he explained afterwards that it's only a major if you mount the curb.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (63)
15.04%
I'm not sure (14)
3.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (141)
33.65%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.43%
I'm not a current university student (195)
46.54%

Watched Threads