Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    Doesn't it have anti-toxins and stuff that helps prevent cancer? They have also done studies that show people who drink moderately live longer than those who don't and those who drink excessively...
    Yes something like that, it helps prevent heart disease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    If it was proven harmful would you still drink?
    Harmful if too much is drunk. Of course, if there was a ban on alcohol, then I wouldn't really be bothered as well.

More bans on drugs = more money spent elsewhere on NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)
    Why don't most people seem to understand that drugs are BAD? I would never try or even touch any drugs/tobacco. Wouldn't mind a beer every now and again though.....

ALL drugs (not including alcohol) should be illegal. Of course, drug trafficking will never stop so that's why I think teaching people to not take drugs and that it's bad is the best way. That way, no-one will buy the drugs and drug dealers will go out of 'business'.
    There is a bit of naive ness there, ban all drugs except alcohol; alcohol being the worst killer drug on the market, not only it alters the mind to a violent state as its a depressant but also causes the most indirect deaths like car and fights incidents.

Analyse ecstasy people I seen during the night high on it are so different to alcohol intoxicated people, for starters it releases a higher endorphin rate which makes them calm and happy and very friendly to people when they get touched or something.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the amount of taxes I pay on booze and **** will recompense the NHS when they have to treat my various illnesses
    Indeed, however why should other people have to suffer around you if you are smoking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    There is a bit of naive ness there, ban all drugs except alcohol; alcohol being the worst killer drug on the market, not only it alters the mind to a violent state as its a depressant but also causes the most indirect deaths like car and fights incidents.

Analyse ecstasy people I seen during the night high on it are so different to alcohol intoxicated people, for starters it releases a higher endorphin rate which makes them calm and happy and very friendly to people when they get touched or something.
    If as many people did hard drugs as do alcohol then I think the statistics might be a bit different.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, ban alcohol as well then, I wouldn't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    If as many people did hard drugs as do alcohol then I think the statistics might be a bit different.
    And the point on this reply is?

ReputationRep:
    They don't, I only smoke in my little hidey hole which is away from other people.
    For some reason I knew you were going to say that.

ReputationRep:
    And the point on this reply is?
    Millions of people drink Alcohol, a few die.
    Some people do hard drugs, some die.

You need to work with percentages, I dont have the figures, I dont beleive they exist, but hard drugs kill a higer proportion of users.

ReputationRep:
    They don't, I only smoke in my little hidey hole which is away from other people.
    Good, that way only 1 person is stupid enough to kill themself rather than affecting others as well...

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if you might stop smoking if you saw what I saw on tuesday afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Millions of people drink Alcohol, a few die.
    Some people do hard drugs, some die.

You need to work with percentages, I dont have the figures, I dont beleive they exist, but hard drugs kill a higer proportion of users.
    The percentages are irrelevant in such a case, end of the day alcohol is killing more people, therefore its more of a concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    The percentages are irrelevant in such a case, end of the day alcohol is killing more people, therefore its more of a concern.
    That is a fair point, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, I actively like smoking. I think the only thing that could make me give up is if the price was made even more extortionate than it already is. £10 per packet doesn't sound very attractive.
    I beg to differ. And hopefully one day the price of cigarettes will prevent many people from smoking, I think that is the only way.

ReputationRep:
    The ad that's currently running on TV with the gunged-up artery is pretty grim but doesn't put me off in the slightest. I can't relate to things like that, I'd probably have to see my own artery gunged-up.
    It might be quite interesting for you to see the lungs of a dead smoker and see what other internal effects smoking has.

ReputationRep:
    The ad that's currently running on TV with the gunged-up artery is pretty grim but doesn't put me off in the slightest. I can't relate to things like that, I'd probably have to see my own artery gunged-up.
    Don't the 'smoking kills' labels on the packs put you off?

ReputationRep:
    I did once, a long time ago. Like I said, things like that don't put me off. I'm hoping for a reminder visit from the grim reaper to put the willies up me
    Well it certainly put me off smoking, and dying.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody dies.
    Yes I am aware of that fact. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, it just annoys me that the packets now look really naff.
    But I couldn't do that, knowing that because of smoking I could kill myself. I suppose if you see the consequences of smoking first hand it makes it more real. I'd never smoke, just because. Smoking stinks though, and other people's makes me cough. Passive smoking kills too.

Did you hear about them also wanting to put those huge labels on bottles of wine, except people complained so the didn't.

ReputationRep:
    You're the medical man, find a way to give us eternal life
    I'm working on it.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.