The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Shanghai Baby, because it is a really good, and very easy, read.
Original post by fishes.are.cold

For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of a novel where the plot takes place during the Second World War, and it's about a girl who collects books. Does anybody know?
Well, that's another really good novel.

'The Book Thief', by Markus Zusaf?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hollywoodbudgie

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
The Book Thief?

Yes!
Thank you!

I seriously need to buy that book.
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Housseini. Amazinggg book about women living in Afghanistan and how they're oppressed. Basically an idea of what life is like for women living in places where they are out of touch from the rest of the world. Very moving

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte. Romantic. So much better than Pride and Prejudice

A Child Called It - Dave Pelzers. A true story about a boy who's been abused his whole life. Extremely moving.

Beloved - Toni Morrison. Set in the 1900's (if I remember correctly) and about the spirit of a baby girl who comes back and terrorises her family.

Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier. Another romantic, but mysterious at the same time.

Atonement - Ian McEwan

Chronicles Of A Death Foretold - Gabriel Garcia Marquez. If you're looking for a novel that's out of the ordinary. Bit strange, but pretty good.

For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of a novel where the plot takes place during the Second World War, and it's about a girl who collects books. Does anybody know?

You just basically said all of my favourite novels...including The Book Thief. :eek:
So. Much. Win.
These books might be quite hard to find as the writer's pretty obscure. But I couldn't put the books down!

Spoiler

What Your Mother Never Told You About Sex by Laura Berman :colone:
Reply 586
Anything by Jackie Collins
Original post by Kirsteneg

You just basically said all of my favourite novels...including The Book Thief. :eek:
So. Much. Win.

Haha, seriously? ;D that's amazing!
Not many people actually heard of half the stuff, because some of the novels are pretty old!
So that's fantastic!
Haha, seriously? ;D that's amazing!
Not many people actually heard of half the stuff, because some of the novels are pretty old!
So that's fantastic!

Yeah! (My degree is English lit though but shh!) And A Thousand Splendid Suns is THE best book ever. :biggrin: Ahhhhhhhh

Yeah! (My degree is English lit though but shh!) And A Thousand Splendid Suns is THE best book ever. :biggrin: Ahhhhhhhh

:P Doesn't matter. At least you actually bother reading it. some people don't. ;D

I know! D: It was so sad, seriously. I recommend it to ANYBODY.
:P Doesn't matter. At least you actually bother reading it. some people don't. ;D

I know! D: It was so sad, seriously. I recommend it to ANYBODY.

Really? I actually hated A Thousand Splendid Suns. I thought it was so depressing. I accept that that was sort of the point... and obviously the way she was treated was utterly horrific, but it just made me SO depressed as I was reading it. I was not a fan of The Kite Runner though (partly because I studied it at AS, perhaps) so my view was perhaps tainted...
Original post by beffnee

Original post by beffnee
Really? I actually hated A Thousand Splendid Suns. I thought it was so depressing. I accept that that was sort of the point... and obviously the way she was treated was utterly horrific, but it just made me SO depressed as I was reading it. I was not a fan of The Kite Runner though (partly because I studied it at AS, perhaps) so my view was perhaps tainted...

Well I loved both novels. Personally, he has an incredible writing style.
I guess everybody has their own tastes. :/ I'm not that into suspense/thriller/horror novels. Not my thing.

Plus, I read The Kite Runner before it became super famous. And before it got turned into a book of proper literature to be studied at school and before it got turned into a movie. So yeah. I read it back in 2004, right after it got released.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 592
If she likes Confessions of a Shopaholic, how about The Devil Wears Prada or something else by Lauren Weisberger?

Books I like personally include;
The Wasp Factory (but that's a bit weird, it's an acquired taste)
The Bell Jar (bit depressing)
The Virgin Suicides
I Capture The Castle
Tess of the D'Urbervilles (really long winded, and imo badly written, but a really good story- watch me get negged for saying it's badly written-.-)
Original post by beffnee
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sophie-Kinsella/e/B001H6NQJI

To the right, if you scroll down a bit, there is a bit which has a selection of authors which people who have bought Sophie Kinsella books have also bought. Lauren Weisberger wrote The Devil Wears Prada and the books which are a part of that series, which may be an option. I've only read a couple of Cecelia Ahern books off that list, and enjoyed Where Rainbows End. Those authors are fairly similar in style to Sophie Kinsella, I think. (Decent is subjective, but they are popular authors within that audience who write in a similar style, so they must be doing something right :tongue:)

I wouldn't have said Atonement is really in the same league as Sophie Kinsella, but might be an idea if you wanted to widen the range of books your sister reads, although it might be a bit of a difficult read to begin with! What about The Time Traveler's Wife? It's not quite the same style and may be a little bit difficult to get her head ound, but lots of people rave about it, including friends of mine who have really enjoyed Sophie Kinsella. Or Jodi Picoult? Again, not really the same, but do tend to have a romantic plot within them as well as the main story. My favourites were Nineteen Minutes, Plain Truth and My Sister's Keeper.

If you have a look on Amazon at Sophie Kinsella books, there are always recommendations at the bottom based on what other people have bought though, why don't you have a scroll through those and see which ones have got the best star reviews and ratings, and maybe pick something she wouldn't necessarily have picked up, if you get stuck?

Good luck! :smile:

This.

I've read a few Kinsella books as well as all of Cecelia Ahern's, bar the last one and I must say they've really gone down hill. I enjoyed Where Rainbows End and PS I Love you but the others are absolute trash. If you're looking for books similar to Kinsella, try Melissa Nathan or Dorothy Koomson I've read all of their books. As the above said, Atonement is quite different.

I also read The Devil Wears Prada a few years back, I liked it but I found it a little boring in places. I wouldn't read it again though.

Original post by j.alexanderh
I thought it was poor, and horrendously overrated.

@OP: as above, I can't see Atonement being at all similar to Confessions of a Shopaholic, so that might be a risk (Atonement is damn good, though). Marian Keyes is apparently similar to Kinsella. Again as above, Jodi Piccoult is always a safe bet

I actually got bored of Marian Keyes really quickly. All her books are the same and I don't think she's the best author I've read. I'd probably have to steer clear of her books.

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Housseini. Amazinggg book about women living in Afghanistan and how they're oppressed. Basically an idea of what life is like for women living in places where they are out of touch from the rest of the world. Very moving

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte. Romantic. So much better than Pride and Prejudice

A Child Called It - Dave Pelzers. A true story about a boy who's been abused his whole life. Extremely moving.

Beloved - Toni Morrison. Set in the 1900's (if I remember correctly) and about the spirit of a baby girl who comes back and terrorises her family.

Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier. Another romantic, but mysterious at the same time.

Atonement - Ian McEwan

Chronicles Of A Death Foretold - Gabriel Garcia Marquez. If you're looking for a novel that's out of the ordinary. Bit strange, but pretty good.

To be honest, none of these are like Kinsella books so I wouldn't get any of these. I read a lot of Kinsella esque books, but I found Jane Eyre hard word, and ditto others written around the same time. If someone gave me a Bronte book I'd be pisssssssssed.

Original post by paddy__power
Shanghai Baby, because it is a really good, and very easy, read.

I remember reading this a few years ago (if we are thinking about the same book) and remember it being really sexual. Possibly one to avoid giving your sister?

Original post by ladymary
Anything by Jackie Collins

Please be joking?

Anyway, OP, to summarise, try Melissa Nathan, Cecelia Ahern's PS I Love You OR Where Rainbows End ONLY (the rest are rubbish), Dorothy Koomson (although not the Ice Cream Girls), as well as Catherine Alliott and Mark Parsons About a Boy series.

I'm currently reading Eva Rice 'The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets' which I'm quite enjoying and I think your sister might too.

I didn't realise I was so well read :O
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 594
Original post by Baula
Hi,

Basically, as the title says, my sister's birthday is coming up.
I'm thinking of getting her a book but our tastes are completely different...
I know she likes Sophie Kinsella books (Confessions of a Shopaholic) but I'm trying to avoid any by this author because I don't know which ones she already has :colondollar: (We don't live together so it's hard to find out)

I've been looking at Ian McEwen because a friend of mine suggested Atonement but I'm not sure because I haven't read Atonement or Confessions of a Shopaholic :s-smilie:

I'm just wondering if anyone here can think of any decent authors that write in a similar style to her and if you could recommend a book by them, I would be really grateful :smile:

Thanks in advance!

I think you should buy her Cloud Atlas because everyone should read it.
Original post by Hazular
If she likes Confessions of a Shopaholic, how about The Devil Wears Prada or something else by Lauren Weisberger?

Books I like personally include;
The Wasp Factory (but that's a bit weird, it's an acquired taste)
The Bell Jar (bit depressing)
The Virgin Suicides
I Capture The Castle
Tess of the D'Urbervilles (really long winded, and imo badly written, but a really good story- watch me get negged for saying it's badly written-.-)

You do realise that Tess of the D'urbs was actually written as a story bit by bit in a newspaper which is why it's so long winded? I found it bloody boring, but I persevered and I didn't think my perseverance was worth it. Boringggg.

Also, the Bell Jar, I know it's a classic but nothing like Kinsella books.
Reply 596
Original post by kat2pult
You do realise that Tess of the D'urbs was actually written as a story bit by bit in a newspaper which is why it's so long winded? I found it bloody boring, but I persevered and I didn't think my perseverance was worth it. Boringggg.

Also, the Bell Jar, I know it's a classic but nothing like Kinsella books.

Yeah I know, Hardy was probably getting paid per word which explains the 7-page long descriptions of trees and suchlike.
Carole Matthews is a brilliant author, any work of hers is a treasure to read :smile:

I actually got bored of Marian Keyes really quickly. All her books are the same and I don't think she's the best author I've read. I'd probably have to steer clear of her books.

To be honest, none of these are like Kinsella books so I wouldn't get any of these. I read a lot of Kinsella esque books, but I found Jane Eyre hard word, and ditto others written around the same time. If someone gave me a Bronte book I'd be pisssssssssed.

Uhm.. It's all about trying something different. And LOL.. None of the other books I've mentioned were written around the same time as Jane Eyre.. Jeez..
Original post by Hazular
Yeah I know, Hardy was probably getting paid per word which explains the 7-page long descriptions of trees and suchlike.

Yup. I ended up skimming most of it but I wanted to have read a couple of classics. I read a lot but I tend to read new books (written within the last 15 years) but hardly any older books. I find them such hard work. I find the language very different. My friend is the opposite and she's always talking about these books that are at least a hundred years old and it makes me feel stupid, even though I've read way more books than she has :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending