The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
I read this book over and over again as a child: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sterkarm_Handshake
Oh oh and I just remembered Jill Murphy's stuff- Worst Witch and the Large Family! And Jill Tomlinson's books like The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark! Plop :love:
Original post by maskofsanity
Apathy and Other Small Victories.

this.
Reply 1183
the posthumous memoirs of bras cubas
Original post by wildrover
Cracking taste :smile:

Aww, thanks! :smile:
Reply 1185
The danny wallace books (join me and yes man mainly)
Tucker max - i hope they serve beer in hell
Patton oswalt - zombie spaceship wasteland
Bill maher - new rules
Jim norton - happy endings
Artie lang - too fat to fish

Not all novels, but certainly funnier than terry pratchett :rolleyes:
Reply 1186
not a novel but Hagar the Horrible is good (lots of short comic strips in a book).

500 Mile Walkies is also good (+ a novel).
Tristram Shandy
The Third Policeman - Flann O'Brien (probably even better in Gaelic)
Could anybody recommend me some modern 'war' books that are non-fiction, i really enjoyed ones like Sniper One and Apache though need another read to take on holiday!

thanks
Hellfire by Ed Macy
Reply 1192
What are some good books for beginner, prefer the ones that doesn't use unusual vocabulary.
Reply 1193
Finnegans Wake by James Joyce

:smile:
Original post by Pochi_X
What are some good books for beginner, prefer the ones that doesn't use unusual vocabulary.

What sort of literature are you interested in? I would suggest To Kill a Mockingbird. In my library it is in the Teenage section so I guess it would be fitting. :smile:
Harry Potter is probably what got me into reading. Then I just started reading what I like (popular books, science fiction, fantasy).
Reply 1197
Original post by dakyras
Finnegans Wake by James Joyce

I will look into that.

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

:smile:

Eh I am 23 years old, what I meant is something that doesn't use high and advanced vocabs.

Original post by whattheheck
What sort of literature are you interested in? I would suggest To Kill a Mockingbird. In my library it is in the Teenage section so I guess it would be fitting. :smile:

Something outwordly, fantasy, no sci-fi whatsoever.
Original post by Pochi_X
I will look into that.

The author of that post is clearly joking. That book is reserved for literary scholars of the highest echelon and masochists only.

Even people with English Literature PhDs struggle to understand it.

If you want something challenging but at least comprehensible then I'd suggest some Aldous Huxley like Brave New World or Eyeless in Gaza.

Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro is also a very good start for repropelling yourself back into literature. Before I read that I hadn't picked up a book for 2 years, and now I read at least two a month.
I think Aldous Huxley would be too much. The beginning is quite complicated (although i did read it about 2 years aago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending