procrastination...
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Can anyone recommend any work experience that would benefit applying to University for Ba Photography? I've already done some on and off work experience with my dad who is a freelance photographer, but I was hoping to get 1-2 more work experiences to enhance my application. I've contacted someone to do with my local gallery and she said that there aren't any work experience opportunities going on at the moment and just suggested I go to an exhibition in October! I've also contacted a photographer that used to work for my dad but he said that he's 'a bit all over the place' with the photography and basically couldn't help. My form tutor suggested I did some work experience at a college working as a photography technician but it's quite far away. I'm not too sure what kinds of work experience would be best I've thought of doing a couple of days at Jessops if they'd have me or something but I don't know if working with a photographer would be better? I'm stuck! Advice is much appreciated!
DJTom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
sounds quite hard to get some work experience. what sort of experience are you looking for.
123michelle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you want to be accepted to a ba photography course, i would concentrate more on your portfolio and less on the work experience - there looking for creative potential, not someone who necessarily already has loads of experience, as long as you show the determination and knowledge required for the course it wouldn't really matter to much. Also, When you get into the degree they help you find work experience anyway.
wannabeme
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My friend is doing photography, she got work doing gig photos at the Manchester Academy, which basically meant she was paid to go to gigs, and she started a photography blog about Manchester which is really popular. Try talking to professional photography firms but any kind of photography work will be just as good.
DJTom
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wannabeme)
My friend is doing photography, she got work doing gig photos at the Manchester Academy, which basically meant she was paid to go to gigs, and she started a photography blog about Manchester which is really popular. Try talking to professional photography firms but any kind of photography work will be just as good.
could you pm me the link to the blog as im doing a photography course.
wannabeme
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DJTom)
could you pm me the link to the blog as im doing a photography course.
sure, its a street fashion project showing that photography isnt about stunning size 0 models.
She has another one but this is my favourite, it's just a tumblr blog but it got quite a few followers and it got her on to an art trip in Florence so..

http://manchesterandme.tumblr.com/
DJTom
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wannabeme)
sure, its a street fashion project showing that photography isnt about stunning size 0 models.
She has another one but this is my favourite, it's just a tumblr blog but it got quite a few followers and it got her on to an art trip in Florence so..

http://manchesterandme.tumblr.com/
ok it sounds good thank you
BillieRae
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have the agree with the above, its more about portfolio than work experience. I'm about to go into my final year of my Photography degree at Portsmouth Uni. I had no photography work experience when I started but it was down to my portfolio that I got in. It's easier to get work experience through the use of a portfolio and networking. Through twitter, my blog and website I've got a few photography jobs and am invovlved in the local art community now, heck I've managed to blag a scholarship for travelling abroad as part of my final year of study through portfolio and work not work experience.
From what I remember when my friend applied to Brighton it was all about portfolio and personality. They make a lot of judgements before meeting you on your work so definitely get that up to as higher quality as possible.
Good luck with you application!
Jess & Nick RMA
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 123michelle)
If you want to be accepted to a ba photography course, i would concentrate more on your portfolio and less on the work experience - there looking for creative potential, not someone who necessarily already has loads of experience, as long as you show the determination and knowledge required for the course it wouldn't really matter to much. Also, When you get into the degree they help you find work experience anyway.
This is great advice. As you're only applying to university at this stage, you won't be expected to have a huge portfolio of work or a bank of experience (though anything you do have will probably help). Creative potential just means having something that shows you have an imagination - it could be writing samples, designs, illustrations or interesting projects you've worked on.

If you do want to get an idea of what kind of work experience opportunities exist, take a look at the thousands of placement and internship reviews on RateMyPlacment. These have been written by previous undergraduates, so provide a genuine insight into what it's like to work for a range of companies.
enzoffice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi All I wrote a cook book and I am looking for a photographer. I would love to do it with a young enthusiastic person who is looking to do experiences and build his portfolio.Travel compensation and a final bonus agreed in advance after the job is done. I need 81 pictures edited and ready to upload. Anyone interested please let me know Enzo 07792079634
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by procrastination...)
Can anyone recommend any work experience that would benefit applying to University for Ba Photography? I've already done some on and off work experience with my dad who is a freelance photographer, but I was hoping to get 1-2 more work experiences to enhance my application. I've contacted someone to do with my local gallery and she said that there aren't any work experience opportunities going on at the moment and just suggested I go to an exhibition in October! I've also contacted a photographer that used to work for my dad but he said that he's 'a bit all over the place' with the photography and basically couldn't help. My form tutor suggested I did some work experience at a college working as a photography technician but it's quite far away. I'm not too sure what kinds of work experience would be best I've thought of doing a couple of days at Jessops if they'd have me or something but I don't know if working with a photographer would be better? I'm stuck! Advice is much appreciated!
Hi there,

It already looks like you are well underway with trying to find opportunities well done. Have yo thought of doing any voluntary photography for the college/ school you are at? Maybe they have people doing dance or drama or performance art you could take photos for. What specific type of photography are you interested in? You could create your own brief and do a project around one of your interests or strengths in photography. Is there a local drama school or sports centre that has events and could you volunteer to do some photography for them. Any friends or family that want professional photo doing you could again do for a small fee or for free as you are not quite qualified.

Universities don,t expect you to have load of experience they just want to see you potential and that you are an active and independent worker.
Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Chandni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (150)
53.76%
18-20 years old (no) (34)
12.19%
20-25 years old (yes) (43)
15.41%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.43%
25-30 years old (yes) (19)
6.81%