The Student Room Group

Imperial Postgraduate Applications 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
Anything that keeps me young :biggrin:. I read an article the other day about a guy who did his degree when he was in his late 80's and now at 90 yrs old, he's starting his masters...inspiration! I hope I can do that one day...I want to learn all the time :rolleyes:.

US or Europe for me mate...:smile:.

Okay, I have to just say, I hope you don't take this the wrong way...just be careful that you don't listen to too many people's input, perceptions, experiences, etc. and let it cloud your judgement. I agree that it is valuable to get information and to use this to inform your decision...But, there will always be differing views on the "go to King's" or "go to Imperial"...but you must have a gut feel (or intuition) about what will be best for you. And only YOU can decide this.

If Imperial gives you an interview and if you then get an offer...its going to be even more difficult to make a decision than what it is now. I get the sense that you want to take the King's offer, but like you said, you enticed by Imperial, otherwise you would have paid your King's deposit already.

I personally think that both uni's will offer great opportunities and it will be what you make of it. They are both heavily funded (even in these austerity times) for research and I have seen many PhD offers and research opportunities and even RA jobs at King's over the last year or so. The only difference is that in the world of rankings and league tables...Imperial is ranked higher. For us, its about getting the right supervisor & projects that can have an impact and help us to get onto our research career paths.

My friend, you are in a difficult situation and I hope when the time comes you make a decision that works for you :biggrin:. You are the type of person who will be successful irrespective of where you choose to go.

I have become obsessed and have been asking all my friends and acquaintances if they know anyone who has been to either university.

You are absolutely right mate, opinions are a reflection of an individual’s personal experience and although other people’s notions play an important part in shaping our conception of what’s around us which we don’t know much about, we shouldn’t let them choose for us (if that makes sense).

They are both excellent universities and will provide outstanding teaching. It’s true that Imperial has a better reputation and although I promised myself not to get hung up on that, I guess I may have a little.

It is King’s, it was King’s all along! :smile:

Thanks mate, I really appreciate your thoughts, you have been neutral and have given me a clearer perspective of the situation.
Original post by skyliner
I have become obsessed and have been asking all my friends and acquaintances if they know anyone who has been to either university.

You are absolutely right mate, opinions are a reflection of an individual’s personal experience and although other people’s notions play an important part in shaping our conception of what’s around us which we don’t know much about, we shouldn’t let them choose for us (if that makes sense).

They are both excellent universities and will provide outstanding teaching. It’s true that Imperial has a better reputation and although I promised myself not to get hung up on that, I guess I may have a little.

It is King’s, it was King’s all along! :smile:

Thanks mate, I really appreciate your thoughts, you have been neutral and have given me a clearer perspective of the situation.

No worries mate, its always a pleasure. In all fairness, I think we all have been mesmerised by the whole idea of studying at Imperial...who wouldn't. :colondollar:.

Sometimes we just want some assurances, and we turn to others for that. It would have been weird if you didn't seek out information from those around you. Rest assured, you already know your decision, but probably just scared cos you don't know if in a year's time, you'll say....yes, I made the right decision or oh, no what a mistake. This is true even for me...I have no idea if going to Imperial will be a success...we are not fortune tellers, so will always have doubts about such important decisions.

King's it is then :cool: :biggrin:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just paid my deposit :colone:.

Now, have to decline Birkbeck's offer and I'll have to email King's and tell them not to bother with the interview next month. They took too long with their admissions process. They should have interviewed me weeks ago.

Congrats man!! See you at Imperial during welcome week then! :P MRes BMS isn't it?
Original post by gavinmetcalf
Congrats man!! See you at Imperial during welcome week then! :P MRes BMS isn't it?

:biggrin: Many thanks dude.

Old daddy's coming to town...South Ken that is :wink:.

My official offer states MRes BMR, but the admissions tutor for personalised healthcare (PH) stream emailed me to remind me that I'll be aligned to his stream for my projects. I think when I graduate my certificate will read MRes BMR - PH...something like that :colondollar:.

Can't wait to get started man! I found out that I only have a two week induction programme, then its straight into the lab :cool:.

You have two months of lectures and stuff right?
:biggrin: Many thanks dude.

Old daddy's coming to town...South Ken that is :wink:.

My official offer states MRes BMR, but the admissions tutor for personalised healthcare (PH) stream emailed me to remind me that I'll be aligned to his stream for my projects. I think when I graduate my certificate will read MRes BMR - PH...something like that :colondollar:.

Can't wait to get started man! I found out that I only have a two week induction programme, then its straight into the lab :cool:.

You have two months of lectures and stuff right?

That i do! During that time i have to choose my labs and write my lab proposals to get into them! :smile: can't wait either man!
Are you commuting into campus come Sept or living close by?
I just received an email from King's with confirmation of the date for an interview for their MRes in Translational Cancer Medicine...been waiting for this for weeks (they told me I'd get an interview about 3 weeks ago), but now that I have the Imperial offer, should I go ahead with it?

Any ideas guys?
Reply 507
I just received an email from King's with confirmation of the date for an interview for their MRes in Translational Cancer Medicine...been waiting for this for weeks (they told me I'd get an interview about 3 weeks ago), but now that I have the Imperial offer, should I go ahead with it?

Any ideas guys?

Ola!
Is your deposit at Imperial refundable?
Shucks...no, its not! Forgot about that. LOL!

I guess I'll have to just decline and withdraw. Thing is I feel bad about this cos I've had emails to and from with the course co-ordinator and she has been so nice and helpful...now I have to tell her I'm not interested any more.

That programme only admits 6 people every year, so its sounds quite exclusive.

What's happening with your situation mate?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 509
Shucks...no, its not! Forgot about that. LOL!

I guess I'll have to just decline and withdraw. Thing is I feel bad about this cos I've had emails to and from with the course co-ordinator and she has been so nice and helpful...now I have to tell her I'm not interested any more. That programme only admits 6 people every year, so its sounds quite exclusive.

Yeah mate, I've heard about this Mres, it's very good and extremely competitive (reason why the selection is only made by interview). It’s almost certainly a guaranteed Phd scholarship afterwards and if you are interested in cancer studies is perfect.

However, you have already secured a place at Imperial for a similar Mres, and have paid a non refundable deposit...

Is there any chance at all you could change your mind and consider it in the event your interview was successful and you were offered a place?
If yes, then go for it and see what is all about.
If it's just because you feel bad about the co-ordinator then don't bother mate, because you would just waste your time and theirs :smile:
Just send them a nice email or call them up to explain and I am sure they will understand
Yeah mate, I've heard about this Mres, it's very good and extremely competitive (reason why the selection is only made by interview). It’s almost certainly a guaranteed Phd scholarship afterwards and if you are interested in cancer studies is perfect.

However, you have already secured a place at Imperial for a similar Mres, and have paid a non refundable deposit...

Is there any chance at all you could change your mind and consider it in the event your interview was successful and you were offered a place?
If yes, then go for it and see what is all about.
If it's just because you feel bad about the co-ordinator then don't bother mate, because you would just waste your time and theirs :smile:
Just send them a nice email or call them up to explain and I am sure they will understand

Hmmm, I guess, if I knew if I got the scholarship at Imperial...I would not even entertain King's... Its been a week since my interview and still no news on the outcome...I just want to know if I was successful or not...I hate waiting..:colone:.

Anyway, in a perfect world, I was suppose to have all my offers around the same time, then decide..but King's took 3 weeks to offer me an interview..so annoying.

So, you heard good things about this course..it must be very good then...when I saw it advertised, I had a feeling that it might be the ticket! Now, I'll never know. I am tempted to just go for the experience...if I don't succeed, no loss..if I get an offer, I can just decline...BUT, I don't feel like preparing for another interview and also paying the travel costs into London for something I won't take anyway...unless they impress me. Oh, I don't know any more. Like you said, I would lose my deposit at Imperial...risky, very risky!

Its Friday mate....have you decided on your situation yet?

EDIT: I've decided not to go ahead with the King's application. I am happy with my Imperial offer :smile:. I'll email them and decline/withdraw.

Thx for listening guys!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 511
3 weeks is nothing, he he :smile:
I have been waiting since the 2nd April to find out about my Imperial application, although my second reference was only submitted at the end of April.
I know today is the day...Have I decided? Yes, I think so. Just need to pay the deposit but might have to get a large glass of wine to help me do it! :smile:
3 weeks is nothing, he he :smile:
I have been waiting since the 2nd April to find out about my Imperial application, although my second reference was only submitted at the end of April.
I know today is the day...Have I decided? Yes, I think so. Just need to pay the deposit but might have to get a large glass of wine to help me do it! :smile:

:biggrin::wink:..it was 3 weeks since I found out about the interview in June (and its only in the 2nd week in June)..my application to King's has been coming on since March :mad:. Its their loss for taking so long to interview candidates.

Yes, have a glass or two...it will help. Just not too much...I don't want you to pay a double deposit :eek: by mistake. Good luck mate.

Imperial's website pertaining to the MRes does say: "Please be aware that the MRes in Biomedical Research receives a large volume of applications each year. Early application is strongly advised."...other than your reference, it seems that it is a very popular course. They must have many applications now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 513
:biggrin::wink:..it was 3 weeks since I found out about the interview in June (and its only in the 2nd week in June)..my application to King's has been coming on since March :mad:. Its their loss for taking so long to interview candidates.

Yes, have a glass or two...it will help. Just not too much...I don't want you to pay a double deposit :eek: by mistake. Good luck mate.

Imperial's website pertaining to the MRes does say: "Please be aware that the MRes in Biomedical Research receives a large volume of applications each year. Early application is strongly advised."...other than your reference, it seems that it is a very popular course. They must have many applications now.

Ah ah yeah, just half a glass maybe then! :biggrin:
I spoke to Julia Hogg yesterday, she is brilliant! I just gave her my first name and she remembered me: she retrieved my application without the need of a CID number, or my last name.
She said they are extremely busy and that is why it's taking so long.
I should have applied sooner, I know.
Anyway, have a great weekend mate. let's catch up again next week after this long bank holiday weekend.
Uncle Skyliner is going clubbing tomorrow!
Ok uncle!

Yes, Julia is brilliant. I met her last week, very approachable and supportive. With the exams and u/g projects students, etc they are very busy.

Have a fab time and enjoy the long weekend and don't do anything you can't spell LOL! :smile:

Catch you on the flip-side mate.

:smile:

Any ideas guys?

I got this too! I've politely rejected the interview.
Original post by gavinmetcalf
I got this too! I've politely rejected the interview.

Hey G,

I didn't know you applied for this one as well at King's!? Small world hey.:colondollar:.

I'll do exactly the same.:wink:.

Thx mate.
Hey G,

I didn't know you applied for this one as well at King's!? Small world hey.:colondollar:.

I'll do exactly the same.:wink:.

Thx mate.

Haha i know mate!

I emailed two days ago...let's hope they are ok about it! :tongue:
Original post by makiz
Hello I got an interview chance as well, may I ask what questions did they ask? Thanks a lot! I wish that I could be one of the student in that course!

Hey Mate, how did ur interview go? Any reply or still waiting? I had mine on Wednesday but still havent heard back from them..is that a bad sign?!
Hey Guys, are any of you still waiting on a decision? From what I read most of you had already had their interviews and eventually - offers. I applied almost a month ago (MSc Strategic Marketing) but still nothing. I know a lot of you have probably waited waaay longer than me, but granted I am from "the last late wave" of applicants, shouldn`t they be a bit quicker? Any thoughts?

Btw, congrats to all of you who got in - I`m a bit jealous :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending