The Student Room Group

This house would ban violent video games.

What are your views on this? I have a prescribed debate coming up and thought I'd enlighten the curious and intelligent minds that plague TSR. :wink:

Best

Edit: I don't see why I've been negged for this? Chill out.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think the ratings on video games work well enough to prevent people who are too young playing highly violent video games. Wouldn't want to ban them outright.
Reply 2
When the house can prove that video games cause violence or a major negative effect in a majority of players then it may ban games. Until then it can go and suck a nut
Reply 3
:rolleyes:

How about trying harder to ban idiots from being allowed out the house. Violent game or no violent game an idiot is still an idiot.
Reply 4
Research is very inconclusive on the subject, because the organisation that funded the research already knew what they wanted for a conclusion.

Video games HAVE been proved to be good for us in terms of stress relief/relaxation/leisure.
The big question is whether video games that contain violence are any different.

I'm inclined to think that video game violence is no less harmful than any other violence depicted in other media.
Reply 5
Why ban game specifically? What makes them worse than any other violent media?

Some people say that they're worse because they're interactive. The player is in control of the violence, instead of just being a spectator. But that's ignoring the fact that games can allow you to opt for non violence. Films and books can't give the same choice.
Reply 6
I saw a study recently that showed that violent video games are good stress relievers.

It would take a very draconian government to band something like video games.
I know it's slightly off-topic but I don't see why games even have ratings.

Sure, guidance is great for parents. However, how many parents actually even care what their kid plays? The majority of people playing GTA, CoD, Halo (and most likely GoW3 now) are definitely below the age limit by a good few years.
What is the reasoning?
Any video game involving guns, knives or the maiming or murder of other beings should be banned from even being imported into the UK.
I saw a kid who could of been anything from 7-11 years old telling his mum to buy him Call Of Duty and she didnt question him on how graphic it she was just worried he would get bored of it and she would of wasted money.

I didnt know what was worse, that or she was willing to pay £19.99 for Call Of Duty 4 used!

Age ratings are good but many parents dont realise how graphic games are and though I dont think they necessarily encourage violence I would say they influence a mind since kids are getting more and more feelings of being invincible and how they are superior since they are used to being the best in a game lada lada lada.
Original post by Chav Princess
Any video game involving guns, knives or the maiming or murder of other beings should be banned from even being imported into the UK.

No.
Reply 12
I think if a video game is going to make you go out on a killing spree then you have deeper issues that where there long before the game came along. Since the rest of us have no problem acting normal after shafting a hooker on GTA I don't think the can make to many links here.

Any actual reason?

Original post by drbluebox
I saw a kid who could of been anything from 7-11 years old telling his mum to buy him Call Of Duty and she didnt question him on how graphic it she was just worried he would get bored of it and she would of wasted money.

I didnt know what was worse, that or she was willing to pay £19.99 for Call Of Duty 4 used!

Age ratings are good but many parents dont realise how graphic games are and though I dont think they necessarily encourage violence I would say they influence a mind since kids are getting more and more feelings of being invincible and how they are superior since they are used to being the best in a game lada lada lada.

Of course, that is the parents fault. Not the games.
A game that is rated 18 clearly is not intended for a 7-11 year old to play.

balls to that! COD, Halo, GTA, Ace Combat etc are like me fav games!
Original post by WelshBluebird
Any actual reason?

Corrupts and perverts the fragile and innocent minds of our young.

How about limiting sale of violent video games to the young? Adults watch all kinds of mature programmes, which aren't allowed to be shown earlier in the day to protect the children. So if that's your only reason for banning violent video games, then all that's needed is to prevent the young getting hold of it.

(They already have age ratings...)
(edited 12 years ago)

1 - No it doesn't.
2 - Young people (I am assuming you mean children) should not be playing these games anyway. Blame the parents, not the games.
Original post by WelshBluebird
1 - No it doesn't.

Err, yeah it does.

You don't think there's anything wrong with gunning down a very realistic, albeit simulated, human being?

2 - Young people (I am assuming you mean children) should not be playing these games anyway. Blame the parents, not the games.

By 'young' I mean anyone up to 18 - so that includes people who pass the age limits.
Err, yeah it does.

Explain why the vast majority of people who play such games do not go crazy then?

You don't think there's anything wrong with gunning down a very realistic, albeit simulated, human being?

No. Neither do I see anything wrong with such scenes in moves or whatever either.

By 'young' I mean anyone up to 18

And that is my point. Those under 18 should not be playing many of these games anyway. So again, blame the parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending